FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh man, I read Sam Liles blog update and almost cried. I think he might be a little upset. I really feel for them. But you have to leave room for things happening, whether with your bike, your health or external events beyond your control.

I know it's not as big a deal as the IBR but we have similar challenges to deal with taking a two week trip together on the Wing like we've done the last two years. The non-trip preparation is harder than the trip by far. I have to prep myself that one of these years something is going to make the trip fall apart and I just pray its something wrong with the bike and not an accident that affects our futures. I think and hope Sam and Sydney will eventually be able to look back at this with the positive memories from leg one and living through a horrible quality problem with a new bike as can happen with anything new.

Any links to Mountain's cooling system?

Double post. Sorry

Last edited by a moderator:
And while I'm commenting... I think AJ (HotRodZilla) should have some kind of honorary position in the FJR community. He sure knows how to jump in and help at the right time.

One more - I love Tobie's storm pic you posted Ignacio! Do you think that is from Sandia Crest?

If I didn't have to work in the morning I be out w/a sign here in KS. Getting a lot of visitors it looks like.

Am I confused about what is considered a "National Park" vs a "National Monuments" or a "National historic site"?
We seem to keep going over this point. Don't get hung up on ONLY "national parks" from the Chris' report at this point. The bonus book (which is hugely important for people to review if they want to follow along) is generically titled, "National Parks Tour" includes national "parks", but also include monuments, historic sites, and other things that aren't even "national" actually. Since there are over 400 actual bonuses to choose from....nobody's going to have to go to Alaska to finish this rally.

Everybody should see and read through the list of bonuses in the Bonus Book. It is the rider's reference source for the entirety of the rally and even spirally bound for their convenicence.
I'm thinking Alaska is probably out. Kingston, TN to the closest Alaska bonus (Klondike I think) and back to Albuquerque would take about 4.5 days according to Google Maps. Continuous riding, that is, with nothing going wrong. Of course, I have seen these folks pull off "the impossible" in the past...

Edit: RJ beat me to it...sort of.
rolleyes.gif

Lumpy

Just reading the daily report from the IBR site.

Ya know...I bet if Troy Martin had been riding an FJR instead of a Triumph he would have had several offers from folks here to cannibalize their own bikes and fit the parts to his, just to keep him in the rally.

Good folks here!

Dudeckp hit it. Josh's set-up is not a Veskimo. I do know it's money to get one, but his looks like it really works. Someone mentioned a helmet fitting and Josh said that would be awesome...

That picture is Sandia Crest, and is very cool.

This deal with BMWs taking a shit is ridiculous. Maybe those German engineers should take a lesson from the Japanese ones.

Aren't three BMWs already out?

Man, do I feel for those riders. Lots of time and money, hopes and dreams .... poof! Mr. Liles' blog post said it plain and simple.

Meanwhile, it's Friday night at midnight with a big moon -- let's go break in those PR4GTs.

Heart breaking indeed! Sam and Sydney are two lovely people and I enjoyed their enthusiasm at tech inspection. A completely stock K16GTLE, even the seats were stock, but they were so proud of it and so eager to rally on it, their spirits and their attitudes and their positivity and their love for the sport bubbled straight through, as genuine emotions and excitement often do.

It does break my heart to hear they have withdrawn due to bike issues, I so wish I could give them both a hug right now, maybe the next time I see them, but for now my thoughts and virtual hugs are with them! You are both in my thoughts Sam and Sydney! Hugs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.