FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the one from Yesterday that was headed to the Bay area has just fallen of the tracking page..

Grommet wrote:
Here is what it looks like, with all the locations in the lower 48 shown.

Awesome, Grommet. Really shows it at a glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I just got up, looked at the trackers and he was gone. Hope all is OK, he had a lot of riding ahead of him.

Perhaps they realized they had gone West?

Twigg is awesome.!

Well the one from Yesterday that was headed to the Bay area has just fallen of the tracking page..
I just noticed that too. Any ideas?

I reckon it may have been a retired rider...who has ridden home, and didn't turn "SPOT" off. Feasible?

***ooops...beaten like a red-headed step-kid***

In case any of you are wondering what all the bonus locations look like plotted on map at once . . .
My nerd side came out with the release of the bonus locations. I copied the text out of the file, then wrote a little program to parse out the codes and latitude/longitude from each entry. Then I pulled that data into my TSP in Google Maps program, to display all the locations on the map.

Here is what it looks like, with all the locations in the lower 48 shown. (click on the image for the full-size version if you want it bigger)

Great map, my first though - "What! No Key West sucker bonus?"

Riders currently east and south of Memphis are getting drenched. https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=NQA&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=yes or here: https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly.php
For those with multi-day rally experience, how do you track weather while on the road? With a "playing field" the size of North America, riders could miss all that rain by bagging upper midwest locations or maybe New Orleans and Mobile locations.
Since many run sat radio the Garmin 665 can display XM weather radar, For those with the 478's get true NEXRAD radar also via XM. There are smartphone apps as well for the budget conscious, although that usually requires stopping and playing with the phone.

~snip~ I copied the text out of the file, then wrote a little program to parse out the codes and latitude/longitude from each entry. Then I pulled that data into my TSP in Google Maps program, to display all the locations on the map.
Original Post

Mr. G

This post was my first, only, and perhaps last "Like" here on the FJR forum. (or any forum for that matter). Nice job with the data manipulation and nice job sharing. Thumbs-Up from Renoville USA

Day 6 has been posted. "I tried sitting in McQueeney’s seat once and he went all Sheldon Cooper on my ass." Bwah!!!!
banned.gif

As far as the CA person out in the wilderness and then not on the page anymore...maybe they purposely exercised their option to not be on the page anymore. Would seem like a great time when their farthest from the pack to then run silent and mysterious.
wink.png
(Edit: Although it would seem to NOT be my guess, Barclay, as he was reported as heading to Texas with others in the dispatch)

Day 6 has been posted. "I tried sitting in McQueeney’s seat once and he went all Sheldon Cooper on my ass." Bwah!!!!
banned.gif

As far as the CA person out in the wilderness and then not on the page anymore...maybe they purposely exercised their option to not be on the page anymore. Would seem like a great time when their farthest from the pack to then run silent and mysterious.
wink.png
(Edit: Although it would seem to NOT be my guess, Barclay, as he was reported as heading to Texas with others in the dispatch)
This morning's IBR report says that Mark Starrett decided to throw in the towel and head for home yesterday morning. Perhaps the CA rider is him?

Hey all, 2013/15 IRB lurker. Had to check in to do the "like" thing if I can figure out what button to push.

Outfreaking standing community y'all got going here standing behind a bike that's nudged one notch closer to the top of the short list - not that it has far to go.

Kudos + to HRZ / NM RR and crew for keeping Josh in the hunt.

Twigg double thumbs up for literally going out of your way and cashing in some hard to replace brownie points to save Allen's rally from yet another crushing BMW blow. Hopefully you're more than one aws__t away from bankruptcy.

How eloquent was Sam in his dispair? It's not often that I read something that I can feel - especially in his disappointment in letting Sydney down. Heart breaking, but a testimony he can be proud of once the pain dulls. Hopefully they can mount up again for another go. I would have posted something I wouldn't want my family to read.

Well done all! Looking forward to the next week of coverage, analysis, and silliness...

Ignacio posted: Day 6 has been posted. "I tried sitting in McQueeney’s seat once and he went all Sheldon Cooper on my ass." Bwah!!!!
Love Mr. Cimino's sense of humor and word selection. Another example: "Crane goes to great lengths to avoid Mississippi like a man who owes alimony. "

Thanks for all the likes, folks.

I have some more ideas. The file I made is not a gpx file. It's actually in the same format the riders get the location/point data in. Or very close to it, IIRC. I got a copy of such a file from a rider in 2013, and used that as an example. The idea was to be able to plug the data from the IBR staff directly into the software without doing anything to it first. to make the initial routing fast and easy.

Anyway, a gpx file is not too complicated. I have never worked with them before but they are just their own flavor of xml. An xml file is just a text file with special tag markers in it. The process would be helped if a couple of you could send me examples of gpx files you have. Simple ones, with a few waypoints in them. There are some examples on the web, but making something exactly like what you have will be easier if I have somewhere to start. email them to me at patrick at exactcad dot com.

I'll also be starting a thread about the whole thing so as not to clutter up this thread with it. Can someone tell me where to put such a thread? Thanks.

Last night I saw a guy approaching Wichita from the southwest. I rode out to meet him, rode across town with him, and sent him on his way up I-35 toward Emporia and KC. I think it was Gregg Lenentine. When I asked his name, he said it was Greg and he was on a silver FJR. That's the only Gregg on an FJR in the rider roster. Nice guy, seemed to be in good spirits and doing well. Handshake and a thumbs up and on down the road he went.

Thanks for all the likes, folks.
I have some more ideas. The file I made is not a gpx file. It's actually in the same format the riders get the location/point data in. Or very close to it, IIRC. I got a copy of such a file from a rider in 2013, and used that as an example. The idea was to be able to plug the data from the IBR staff directly into the software without doing anything to it first. to make the initial routing fast and easy.

Anyway, a gpx file is not too complicated. I have never worked with them before but they are just their own flavor of xml. An xml file is just a text file with special tag markers in it. The process would be helped if a couple of you could send me examples of gpx files you have. Simple ones, with a few waypoints in them. There are some examples on the web, but making something exactly like what you have will be easier if I have somewhere to start. email them to me at patrick at exactcad dot com.

I'll also be starting a thread about the whole thing so as not to clutter up this thread with it. Can someone tell me where to put such a thread? Thanks.

Last night I saw a guy approaching Wichita from the southwest. I rode out to meet him, rode across town with him, and sent him on his way up I-35 toward Emporia and KC. I think it was Gregg Lenentine. When I asked his name, he said it was Greg and he was on a silver FJR. That's the only Gregg on an FJR in the rider roster. Nice guy, seemed to be in good spirits and doing well. Handshake and a thumbs up and on down the road he went.
Really cool stuff you're doing grommet. Got your note and we'll share some thoughts. thumbs-up.

This has been a blast to read !

Having done a National Parks Tour in a two week period I am getting a kick out of the theme for this rally.

I can only imagine the intensity of the real thing.

Ride on participants and thank you all that have helped riders in need.

Scooper

Status
Not open for further replies.