FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There has to be a leak by now...anyone hear anything on the top 10 finishers???

Yeah I have to be moving off the bike. Some people think I'm an ultra competitive person but really I just need to move around due to the 14-20 hours of daily sitting. I think this is the wrong crowd for 5, 10, 20k. But I think its a cool idea. Kirsten would outrun me for sure anything over 5k. I digress. I enjoyed reading the banter from time to time, so thank you all. Good ride and good times and great peeps. The states really weren't too much of a factor as long as you kept it in your scan. There were enough routing option variations (with soooooo many bonus locations and the daylight restriction) as there weren't any super high point values that you couldn't do because of your state total. Also if you had all your states it was little advantage in leg3. I treated each leg like a point rally and made sure I picked up some states. Ended up doing the Texas Big Bend tour on each leg! Kept me out of the weather and similar points to other options. We'll find out more tonight.
So very proud of CBA #10!

..and of all riders who participated in what has to be the greatest form of true privateer, commercial free, moto-bike grooviness.

May the spirit of the IBR run a long, long course, independent, free, and with goodwill.

DC

I also would like to say a big thank you to all the folks that put this event together. All the rally staff and volunteers, Chris Cimino for all the reports that he put out , To all the riders what a great job you all did, To the riders that were unable to complete the ride due to mechanical issues, health issues or other issues, we all hope to see you folks back in two years. To all the people in the FJR forum where I spent a lot of time, you folks kept me informed. RenoJohn thanks for the countdown timer, they were awesome and helpful, Jason Jonas for SpotWalla what can I say I used that every day numerous times during the day even at work, Oh damn now I will have to do that again…. It was great to watch how a rider was progressing even if we didn’t know who it was.

To all the folks at Albuquerque have a safe ride home.

Again, Thank you all. Will see you in two years. Now back to lurking.

Sincerely,

Warren

Warren A Meinzer

IBA# 27114

Frankfort, NY

Watching the Facebook page to see who gets to take these home...and now we know, just how close it was. Congrats to all.

11540915_10154492742858532_2581757337250810513_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so proud of Eric! He's the man!!! We all knew it, and finally he did it.

Also proud of all the other finishers. Many amazing efforts were on display. Congratulations to all. Excellent rally this year. Dare I say it -- Best IBR Ever!

So close!

Great rides by all involved. Especially the top 10 finishers. Eric Jewell finally taking the crown! Our man Mountain foiled again this year, but 2017 is surely his year, look how long it took Eric Jewell - Josh can beat that.
smile.png

Our favorite Rookie and exceptional rallyist and my hometown boy Erik Lipps breaking into Top 5!

Ever the gentleman Jim Owens taking 5th despite not having rallied in a few years!

Jon and Ande Bergman breaking into the top 10 while riding 2-up! Anyone know what's the highest place finish for a 2-up is in the IBR?

Awesome stuff, great entertainment, and a big congratulations to the world's toughest riders! Cheers!!

I am also elated that Tony finished, middle of the pack, but still a strong showing given the spate of problems he had been plagued with even before the rally started. Nothing was working or working out for him, but he persevered and made it work!

Various sort of results on what was once known as the countdown page

HERE

Thanks FJR forum for all the fun. ....and cheers to all riders!!!

Congratulation to all the riders. Outstnding effort.

Many thanks to the FJR communitity for allowing us "outsiders" to lurk, and follow the event.

BTW, did Phil Weston DNF because he only achieved 24 states or were there bike problems somewhere along the way ??

If I am reading the report correctly, is the difference between Eric and Josh, that Josh's 3rd leg call in was made but not recd by the phone bank?

Congrats to ALL the riders...some really tough riding, especially thru the final night.

JEF

It was great to see Florida FJR rider Joe Green finish this yr. He dnf'd in '13.

Great effort by all and happy to see everyone safe.

I loved getting caught up in this event this year. Well done riders and IBA!

The FJR's didn't fare as well as last year, but 2nd, 3rd and 4th is still worth bragging about.

Top Ten Finishers by manufacturer:

1 Honda

2 Yamaha

3 Yamaha

4 Yamaha

5 BMW

6 BMW

7 BMW

8 BMW

9 BMW

10 Honda

If I am reading the report correctly, is the difference between Eric and Josh, that Josh's 3rd leg call in was made but not recd by the phone bank?
That's the way I read it. As it was, the margin of victory was 161 points, or .0015, which rounds up to two tenths of one percent. That's got to be the closest finish in history.

Thanks for letting us hang out.

This is a great place you have here.

Be safe, and as good as you want to be!

Congrats to ALL the riders...some really tough riding, especially thru the final night.

JEF
Yup. You read that right. That's total bullshit. This is the reason I would never give these people my money and let them judge anything. Josh isn't the only one that happened to, and they know their system is FUBAR, but they continue to punish the riders for the organization's mistake.
If the rider's phone shows the call was made, the points should be awarded. Not cool at all. Josh won this IBR, and for it to be taken from him like that is BS.

Murphy, As I understand it, he DNF'd because he only had 24 states. I believe they put up only what has been officially scored at the table. So the 24 wouldn't show, unless he scored in ABQ. As for why he's short a state, I do not know. Could be that a bonus was denied, but was the only in that state, therefore, he didn't get credit for the state. Or could be that he just miscounted. Either way, it's heartbreaking to ride all those miles and not finish.

JEF
Yup. You read that right. That's total bullshit. This is the reason I would never give these people my money and let them judge anything. Josh isn't the only one that happened to, and they know their system is FUBAR, but they continue to punish the rider's for the organization's mistake.

If the rider's phone shows the call was made, the points should be awarded. Not cool at all. Josh won this IBR, and for it to be taken from him like that is BS.
It's not clear at this point what went wrong with that phone call. Placing the call is not what gets the points, for those you have to leave the required information. Many of us have experienced difficulties with "Call-In" bonuses. Sometimes those problems are user-error, sometimes a network error and sometimes they might be the fault of the rally systems. I'm guessing that will be investigated later.

That said, giving the points to Josh would actually disadvantage all those riders who did leave the correct message at the appropriate time. On all three legs, virtually all riders did place successful calls to that system, and it recorded them correctly. It suggests quite strongly that it was actually a network error, and like everything else in the IBR, zero allowance is given for bad weather, accidents, traffic and any and all other problems.

To my knowledge Josh is not complaining about this issue. It's really a matter for him, and for the IBA to ensure that their equipment works as intended.

Everything I've seen and heard suggests that this Rally was one of the best ever staged.

Edit: There is one exception to this. Riders are required to stop and assist another rider in genuine distress. In that circumstance the RM, at her discretion, will make time-allowances. Brian Walters was offered one such allowance in the last IBR, although he didn't need to use it.

Congratulations to all riders.

Excellent rally and so tight finish. This was very excited to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.