FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Safety Third is a friend. I don't believe he is here on the forum... but wished him luck before he left utah.

Damn it! From the pictures - a lot of my friends seem to be there, and I am stuck here...

20 more years to retirement? F@&K!!

puppychow posted: <snip> ... 20 more years to retirement? F@&K!!
Amen, brother. But nobody said life was fair.

Thanks for the photos, MNFJR05! Great work!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is Kurt's third IBR in a row on a 250cc Ninja. Bike is almost completely stock, including the seat.
It's an amazing thing to finish the IBR on a fully equipped liter bike. To do it on a stock Ninja 250 with is GPS is phenomenal. Kurt W. is amazing.

FJR pilot Jim Winterer and pillion Lisa Erbes prepare for their odo check.

i-Ts4wHCR-L.jpg

Previous IBR winner Derek Dickson helping out at tech inspec this year

i-4DTpSFh-L.jpg

'Nuf said!

i-6RpvwsJ-L.jpg

Mr. Behm will be riding with several riders this year.

i-zVbMcTW-L.jpg

DaJuice working tech inspec.

i-2pfVh33-L.jpg

Not all the tech is high tech.

i-d9scZ7W-L.jpg

But the question of the day from the parking lot... Who's underwear is this???

i-Lv7FHC8-L.jpg

More photos from today here.

Seeing and hearing Jerry White, that's a good thing.

Thanks for the pictures folks. Keep'em coming.

It always surprises me how many folks jump in the help like the fellow with the tire changer on his pickup hitch.
yes2.gif

The fellow changing the tire is forumite Erik Lipps. It is not his truck..

I brought my five year old son to the IBR HQ this morning so he could see the bikes (with a promise we could go swimming afterwards - always a negotiation with little kids). He thought they were pretty cool and that I needed to get a bike better suited to get back into this (I've been pretty dormant on the LD front since he was born, not because I don't think I should ride - I've never stopped riding motorcycles, but just because priorities change.) He particularly liked the BMW GS's. It reminded me of why I've loved this unusual sport since I got into it 15 years ago. It truly is a unique thing, and just the best and nicest bunch of people that are involved. I plan to be at the start as well to root the riders on. Ride safe all.

I am just a virtual spectator with aspirations of one day getting to ride in one of these, just wanted to say thanks to all those that are there and are taking the time to share with us!

I have the kitchen pass from the missus already, just need the time off work and the cash flow to support this habit. I have a bit of nerves of anticipation for this one, will be keeping a watchful eye out for any riders passing by during the next week or so, and wishing all a great and safe Rally!

Keep the updates and pics coming!

Thanks again!

Thanks to MNFJR and the others posting pictures and prose so that the rest of us can attend virtually.

One year, perhaps in the not so distant future, I will attend this event. There's a story to tell there.

That having been said... the dude is Japanese, and he truly doesn't understand english. I foresee this as a problem. What he plans to do - I think - is plug in all the waypoints into his GPS, and it speaks Japanese to him. So, I am hoping he can at least route himself to the bonus location. Where I think the real problem comes in is the fact that the fucking guy isn't going to know what to do *at* the bonus, if he doesn't understand bonus directions.
This right here. I don't know how he's going to make it. We'll find out at the first checkpoint. Who knows, maybe he's sandbagging and is actually an English professor. :)

Bill Thweat in his usual wild shirt. I'm surprised you didn't notice his yellow, smiley-face helmet. Maybe he's retired them. When Bill was living in Australia for a while, there was a discussion about the usefulness of deer whistles. He mailed me the exact same things marketed as kangaroo whistles (the silhouette on the package was a kangaroo instead of a deer). I have carried the unopened packet in my tank bag ever since and not once have I had a collision with a kangaroo.

P6243206_zpsetsdka5v.jpg

Making fashion observations about Riders is the last thing anyone wants to attempt. Function ALWAYS trumps form for these people.

P6243245_zpsn4fabcft.jpg

That having been said... the dude is Japanese, and he truly doesn't understand english. I foresee this as a problem. What he plans to do - I think - is plug in all the waypoints into his GPS, and it speaks Japanese to him. So, I am hoping he can at least route himself to the bonus location. Where I think the real problem comes in is the fact that the fucking guy isn't going to know what to do *at* the bonus, if he doesn't understand bonus directions.
This right here. I don't know how he's going to make it. We'll find out at the first checkpoint. Who knows, maybe he's sandbagging and is actually an English professor.
smile.png
Maybe he's depending on those phone app translators for signs and print?

This right here. I don't know how he's going to make it. We'll find out at the first checkpoint. Who knows, maybe he's sandbagging and is actually an English professor.
smile.png
In Japan second language skills begin being taught at the elementary level. the issue is few Japanese have an opportunity to use the spoken language. However reading comprehension can be excellent. Hoping this will be the case for this rider.

Many times in meetings with our Japanese counterparts we would find our serfs exchanging notes to clarify what exactly we wanted to do and where we wanted to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.