FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another reason to run a second GPS is in case 1 should fail. This event is all about endurance. Lots of opportunities for things to break. I've run 2 a few times on 32 hour rallies and it is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope the rider currently down in Lufkin didn't screw the pooch by heading off south...They are going to be oh so close on 8pm cutoff for penalty accruals...

I hope the rider currently down in Lufkin didn't screw the pooch by heading off south...They are going to be oh so close on 8pm cutoff for penalty accruals...
I just saw that, too. Cutting it really close and probably the only rider in danger of penalty at this point.

Penalty points Dana, after 8pm...10pm I think is cutoff for DNF...and I think we have another rider who may be in real danger of not making it...pulled over north of OKC...one of the riders who took the Canadian excursion...

Interesting reading...glad we have so many former IBR Riders chiming in !!

Gotcha. I was looking at those outliers and it looks like everyone is within 4 hours of Allen. So if it is 5pm there (almost and I think. I am horrible with time zones) then they should all be good on making it in time (at least before the DNF window). Right?

Penalty points Dana, after 8pm...10pm I think is cutoff for DNF...and I think we have another rider who may be in real danger of not making it...pulled over north of OKC...one of the riders who took the Canadian excursion...
3 hrs OKC to Allen. They should be ok. It looks like all of the outliers are around 3 or so hours out.

Gotcha. I was looking at those outliers and it looks like everyone is within 4 hours of Allen. So if it is 5pm there (almost and I think. I am horrible with time zones) then they should all be good on making it in time (at least before the DNF window). Right?
Translated for you Dan:

Anything earlier than 6 p.m. Sacramento time is fine. 6-8 Sac time involves penalty points. After 8 p.m. Sacramento time is very bad.

Your particular dot.......I think they're right in the window for a near, but not later than 6 p.m. arrival...assuming they're headed towards the barn now and not deviating much. Even if they deviate a bit....they're in tune with their bike and GPS at this point in the rally and are a Big Dawg .

2008 Bergman is the other Suzuki...
Ha,Two Susuki's, one is a 43 year old 4cycliner 2stroke and the other is a 9 year old scooter. That doesn't say much for Zuk's sport touring line-up. It'll be interesting to see (percentage wise) how these two bikes fair against the Gen III.
Part of that is because long-time Wee-Storm pilot Jim Winterer is now half of Team WinterErbes and they have moved to an FJR for two-up riding. I could be mistaken, but I think Jim still rides the Wee for solo use. And, of course, years ago he rode a Yamaha 500 air-cooled single in the IBA.

"Gust of gravity"... literally spewed beer over my keyboard, thanks!
rolleyes.gif

2008 Bergman is the other Suzuki...
Ha,Two Susuki's, one is a 43 year old 4cycliner 2stroke and the other is a 9 year old scooter. That doesn't say much for Zuk's sport touring line-up. It'll be interesting to see (percentage wise) how these two bikes fair against the Gen III.
Part of that is because long-time Wee-Storm pilot Jim Winterer is now half of Team WinterErbes and they have moved to an FJR for two-up riding. I could be mistaken, but I think Jim still rides the Wee for solo use. And, of course, years ago he rode a Yamaha 500 air-cooled single in the IBA.
After watching this for several years I'm amazed that a 2 up team has not won. Seems an experienced pillion could provide a decided advantage in route planning. I realize the complications with coordinating the physiological needs of 2 people but maybe the puzzle this year will provide enough advantage for 2 up teams to overcome this.

. . .

2. The definition of Rest Bonus is not entirely clear to me. Is there a minimum amount of time per 24 hour period (or other) in which the motorcycle may not move? If so, what amount is that?
You get to a place and get a receipt. You have to get a receipt at the same place (or stamped with the same city) x hours later (typically 4-8 hour rest bonuses on sliding scales). You can move your motorcycle during the rest bonus, but why would you drive around town instead of going to a hotel and get sleep? Rest bonuses really are used (and cherished by riders) to get to sleep as quickly as you can. If I had a 8 hour rest bonus I'd probably get 6.5 hours sleep after getting checked in, quick shower, eat something, go to sleep. On the other end I'd look over my route on the laptop and get back on the bike shortly after the 8 hours for a receipt.

In previous IBR events the Rally Staff have made it clear that the rest bonus points are more valuable than using the same time to collect regular bonus points. And I'm no expert on the rule book but I doubt you would get credit for a bonus collected during the rest bonus. Remember that you have to document the date and time and mileage for all bonuses so getting some when you are supposed to be sleeping would require turning off your SPOT, and finagling your odo reading. In the end you would get caught cheating and disqualified.

that Lufkin spot signal was from 8am Eastern, if their Trip Viewer is correct.

I've only done a few rallies but spent a bunch of time talking to Dave and Danielle Legnosky at Team Lyle New England last fall. If you ask them if having a pillion to help with routing is a good idea they'll both nod their heads with a big grin. They're 2-up on a goldwing this year- I'm cheering for them, but this is maybe the only event I can think of where I'm cheering for every single competitor, all the way up and down the list.

A few totally spurious facts about this year's field... <snip>
Great stuff, thanks for sharing. Yamaha riders, on whole, ...the riders have newer bikes, Honda riders, on whole the older bikes and the majority to BMW which bike age falls in the middle (of the dominant Manufs.)

I guess my interpretation is that Honda's last a long time and stick with the proven bike.

Yamaha riders like slow, being that the bike (FJR) has gained weight and got slower every years since 2003 ...I'm surprised riders are not opting for the proven IBR success of the Gen I & Gen II FJRs.

Flame away, numbers are numbers.

Thanks MNFJR05

..RJ
Good to see you back on the Forum RJ. Been way too long!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts