FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few hours from release and there looks to be a good 30 or so riders still at home.

Also interesting to see a bunch of people on some yocal local roads in TX.

Didn't hightail it out of town.

Ken Meese broke the bolt/fastener for his K1300GT foot brake. He has the lever - just not the hardware. Not sure how that happened....

LEG ONE STANDINGS POSTED! https://ibr.wvi.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Man oh man did they up the ante on complexity for this leg! I can't wait for the report to spell this out but if I'm understanding what my friends are crying about... They are treads of 4 this time but each has to come from a different category. The 4th in the string is tripled! No wonder so many of them are taking so long to get out of the barn. Imagine what leg 3 will bring. At least these legs are only 2+ days long. The 3rd leg they will be planning 5 days with a potentially even more complex puzzle again.

Always impresses me the disparity in miles ridden among competitors and how an efficient plan can garner higher points while allowing riders more rest and putting in fewer miles.

So you're saying there is a chance we MIGHT be seeing strings of strings come leg 3...Boy oh Boy! This is great!!!

When I saw this was a Earls design and then stings I thought oh oh Jim O has this. From seeing what he did on the big sky railroad Earls design which was all about complex strings. Day one results are confirming this although Jim is an amazing rider regardless.

I'm rooting for the burgman though. Can't believe he put 2400 mikes on that thing in stage one.

Familiar names gathering at the top!

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess David Wells on the FJR sitting in last place didn't find his rally book.

That is a brutal way to start.

So it appears that the BMW-Triplets® are inflicting mucho damage on the huddled/befuddled masses...time for the Yamaha breathing brethren to step up the assault and unseat those bratwurst eating Bavarian riders.

GO TEAM YAMAHA!
punk.gif

From Sidebar 3:
"So what happens if a rider has three Land strings in a row? That would look like this: Land1-Land2- Land3-land4-Land5-Land6-Land7-Land8-Land9. You would expect to have Land3, Land6, and Land 9 each doubled in points. But if Land2, for example, gets denied at the scoring table for not having the flag visible, does that break all of the strings? No, it only breaks the first string. Land3 in string 1 would be assessed at the listed value, but if collected properly, Land6 and Land 9 would double."

If Land2 is denied, why wouldn't Land 3 become the first bonus in the new string of Land3-Land4-Land5?

Because the riders will "claim" the bonus strings in groups of 3. Each group of 3 will start and end using the bonus ID claimed by the rider. Therefore only the string with the mistake is broken, the remaining strings are each still intact.
At the banquet the RM said that the riders did not need to claim strings, that scoring somehow would automatically pick up the strings. Smunderdog brings up a good point.

There's a red spot tracker on 635. Hopefully rally staff see it quickly and everything is ok

Leg 3...Strings 5 long and alternate all in one category and then a string from each of the five categories?

JEF

It truly looks as if Jim O is back in form. Many top dogs near the top, but 3k points are possible to make up with one good leg... yet Jim seems to thrive with complexity.

I was looking at the pics of the check point, it brought back some memories. I hated checkpoints! Looking out the window in a motel room and seeing most riders long gone, or even trying desperately to load the points while listening to other riders leaving... I remember leaving CP 2 in '13 just to get out of the stress and pulling of into a parking lot and doing my routing (Choosing my strategy) LOL

I always felt much more comfortable on the road.

From Sidebar 3:
"So what happens if a rider has three Land strings in a row? That would look like this: Land1-Land2- Land3-land4-Land5-Land6-Land7-Land8-Land9. You would expect to have Land3, Land6, and Land 9 each doubled in points. But if Land2, for example, gets denied at the scoring table for not having the flag visible, does that break all of the strings? No, it only breaks the first string. Land3 in string 1 would be assessed at the listed value, but if collected properly, Land6 and Land 9 would double."

If Land2 is denied, why wouldn't Land 3 become the first bonus in the new string of Land3-Land4-Land5?

Because the riders will "claim" the bonus strings in groups of 3. Each group of 3 will start and end using the bonus ID claimed by the rider. Therefore only the string with the mistake is broken, the remaining strings are each still intact.
At the banquet the RM said that the riders did not need to claim strings, that scoring somehow would automatically pick up the strings. Smunderdog brings up a good point.
If the rider had planned the 3rd bonus of each string to be the highest point value, it would be disappointing if a "failed" bonus caused their original 1/2/3 to be messed up...

Status
Not open for further replies.