FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when are they due back in Allen TX? Noon on Saturday?
According to post #1 in this very thread:

CHECKPOINT 2

Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm

Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center 210 East Stacy Road Allen, TX (same location as CP1)

Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm

Scoring opens at 5pm

Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

I don't recall every being so curious as to what the 2nd CP results will yield. I think we'll have a really good indication of the riders that have their mind around this puzzle and ....and then the super long (6day'ish) leg 3 will be where the grueling execution will come into play ...and we (in the bleachers) won't have much idea what's happening with each rider.

I know many are watching the group Spotawalla page, following various riders in various ways, waiting for official scribe reports from John Harrison and following this forum.

If any of you want to catch up on 10 classic biker fliks while doing the above...feel free to view them here.

https://renojohn.com/bike/iba2017/

I'll keep them up through day 11 or until the 3rd cease and desist letter, whichever comes first.

I'll also post the gen3 riders performance against the riders on the faster FJRs ...maybe. LOL

BTW big shout out to Tim Bowman and MNFJR05 for sharing their fun breakdown of results. Hope they keep it coming. Also shout-out to the folks that make this forum possible. And of course a big shout out to all Gen1 and Gen2 riders.

RJ

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's dry heat.
come-to-arizona-they-said-its-a-dry-heat-they-23727838.png

The rider who looks to be headed to NYC on Friday before a summer holiday weekend could be in for a mess. If they go in to Manhattan as the other riders did in stage one they will be leaving about 4pm. Ouch!

The rider who looks to be headed to NYC on Friday before a summer holiday weekend could be in for a mess. If they go in to Manhattan as the other riders did in stage one they will be leaving about 4pm. Ouch!
Exactly what I was thinking. Patience and Fortitude (the lions in front of the library) or something else, must be a really big bonus to bring the rider into Manhattan!

After that, google maps estimates almost 24 hours to get back to CP2. Adding in the rest time, that's not leaving much time for anything else.

I agree. The reports are great!

101stpathfinder, I think you were the one talking about traffic in the Florida Keys. Looks like a few riders might be cutting it close...although I'm not sure which direction they're going. Hopefully heading back up.

And in my neck of the woods, I wonder if one dot might be headed towards the Manhattan bonus. Would be a lot of traffic for that too. Fingers crossed for everyone!

(Oops, the two previous posts about Manhattan traffic hadnt loaded for me before I posted my comment. Beat me to it! Lol)

Exactly what I was thinking. Patience and Fortitude (the lions in front of the library) or something else, must be a really big bonus to bring the rider into Manhattan!

After that, google maps estimates almost 24 hours to get back to CP2. Adding in the rest time, that's not leaving much time for anything else.
Make that three of us. This is gonna be interesting...

I've been watching - the two riders in Marathon are heading North, the other two are still heading south. Rotsa Ruck!

Everybody just uses the lane markers as "suggestions" in Manhattan...

That's where Spot shows the rider now, and progress has slowed significantly.

His spot is set to American/Chicago

This being the case, he knows all about Combat Commuting, think he'll be OK.

Dana, it's illegal to split lanes in NY. However, it is done frequently (and usually at very high speeds on the highways). Don't know if one would risk it during a rally, though?

Also, in the heart of Manhattan, won't get very far in between red lights even between the lanes.

Bless his soul. Thinking it's probably not the lions though as he's way down in Chinatown. The library is up on 42nd.

Edit: Strike that. Now in Brooklyn? He's just getting in deeper. Hopefully he can get back out in time.

He's doomed. That was an unfortunate choice. there is no way out of that 100 miles or so. until later..

The traffic jams will all be going from Manhattan to Long Island, and from Manhattan to the Jersey Shore, and from Manhattan to the Poconos.

(there is a reason I moved from Staten Island to Montana. - and that rider is about to become very familiar with my decision making process).

I'll be at the checkpoint Saturday if y'all hear of anybody needing anything.

Just posted on FB:

Is there anyone in the Grand Junction, CO area that might be able to help a damaged motorcycle from the IBR get into the BMW dealer? Hit truck debris and leaking antifreeze,,,please call 603-303-5022 if you can help...I will give you my location. Thanks, Roy

EDIT: Thanks for everyone's concern. The BMW folks have stepped up and are on their way to pick up Roy...This is his wife, Sara, on his computer at home...I knew he had lots of motorcycle buddies out there...thanks for caring. Here's hoping he can get a new radiator!

This community rocks!! :rad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts