FJRForum Official 2017 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All that I can say is WOW!

It was an honour to ride with those folks.

I even learned a few things during those miles.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
IBR newbie question...

Roughly, how many bonus locations are there for an Iron Butt Rally? Hundred, couple hundred, thousand? I'm just trying to wrap my head around what goes into route planning/strategy.

Also, I've really enjoyed following this thread and the insight it has provided. This is the first year that I've really gotten into following the IBR and have really enjoyed watching the spotwalla map!

Thanks!

IBR newbie question...
Roughly, how many bonus locations are there for an Iron Butt Rally? Hundred, couple hundred, thousand? I'm just trying to wrap my head around what goes into route planning/strategy.

Also, I've really enjoyed following this thread and the insight it has provided. This is the first year that I've really gotten into following the IBR and have really enjoyed watching the spotwalla map!

Thanks!
Rich,

I thought I read that there were 320 bonus locations. Have you been reading the daily reports at https://ibr.wvi.com/ if not you should it has a lot of info there.

IBR newbie question...

Thanks!
Rich,

I thought I read that there were 320 bonus locations. Have you been reading the daily reports at https://ibr.wvi.com/, if not you should it has a lot of info there.
Thanks. I have been reading those daily reports. Actually, that's what lead me over to this site.

I hate speculate but 2 riders that did Newfoundland may be headed for Yarmouth NS to catch the ferry to Portland Maine potentially saving 5 or so hours of riding.

I was watching several of the riders while I was on Puget Sound this weekend and think a variety of riders rode by (and one too and back from) this pile of clams. Kinda has an IBR bonus vibe. I drove by it several months ago.

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

I hate speculate but 2 riders that did Newfoundland may be headed for Yarmouth NS to catch the ferry to Portland Maine potentially saving 5 or so hours of riding.

Interesting, but no bonus collecting while riding in a boat. At this stage I think riders want wheels in motion gathering points.

Hmmm.

I believe Owen and Earls did just that in '07...getting back to St. Louis. One who's riding this time and one who made the puzzle. Interesting....
smile.png

[second look]

But departure times are 08:30 ADT and would have them departing Portland at 12:30 EDT. That's then 1500 miles in 21 hours if I did my math right.......that's really tough in the east coast and even for top riders. But, I think we'll find out in the next few hours.
wink.png

They don't seem like they are heading directly for the ferry to Maine, but could still be heading there, at this point they seem to have noticed something the other 2 (or 3) riders may not have, or the 2 others are not interested in, and running low to scoop up some more bonii.
As has been mentioned before, have to do something extraordinary to stand out from the crowd of 5.
Also have to keep call-in bonus in mind at this time, if there are any at this stage of the rally. If you would recall - it was the deciding factor between #1 and #2 in 2015.

So not only is something extraordinary needed, but also can't forget to do the ordinary.

Interesting, but no bonus collecting while riding in a boat. At this stage I think riders want wheels in motion gathering points.
I don't recall any other rider that went to the maritimes headed that far south to get boni I may be wrong.

At least there is one bonus someplace near dartmouth

2ND edit the Ferry departs at 8:30 atlantic that leave 2.5 hours to get there from now.

from Dartmouth to Yarmouth is 3:13 ain't gonna happen to make that trip.

Pardon me the ferry departs at 0830 to Maine that would be on Thursday AM

If I were riding from Nova Scotia and I'm NOT!!!!!
I'd stay on the Trans-Canada to Sault Ste Marie and cut 100 miles off of the direct route to the Finish.

Wonder if there are more bonuses available in that part of Ontario and in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan than there are along the 401 and I-69 and I-94.

It's sure easier to be watching on my computer, than having to think my way through something like that while riding.
The problem with that route - and the continuation across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and northern Wisconsin - is the higher concentration of four-legged forest creatures and lower concentration of services compared to dropping down into the US for return to MN. Might not be as much of a concern during daylight hours, but these folks will have to log significant after dark hours to reach finish in time.
After riding across Newfoundland at night.. I doubt that the deer or occasional moose in the UP or Wisconsin would be much of a concern to any of them.

Besides, the chances of hitting deer on I-69 or I-94 in Lower Michigan is vastly higher than the chance of hitting one in the Upper Peninsula as there are far more deer in southern Michigan than in the UP.

But 5 hours on a ferry could be a good rest while still maintaining movement toward the finish line, yes? Of course I know nothing of such matters, but its fun to join in the speculation :)

I don't recall any other rider that went to the maritimes headed that far south to get boni I may be wrong.
At least there is one bonus someplace near dartmouth

2ND edit the Ferry departs at 8:30g atlantic that leave 2.5 hours to get there from now.
Looks like they're all taking the land route, with one heading towards Saint John. Wonder if they will cross the border at Saint Stephen. Rt. 9 from Saint Stephen to Bangor had a lot of logging trucks when I took that route on a trip in '96. And Maine summer roadworks is in play, which meant a good stretch of it being dirt.
Edit: zDoh, missed the rider in Dartmouth.

Spot 117 is at the BMW shop in Seattle.
Which would be really odd if he's riding a Harley....or as RJ will be along soon enough to point out...a Gen 3 FJR.

Looks like one of the two who seemed headed for Dartmouth, had a change of heart or plan and is heading back up trying to catch up with the others. On the fly what if routing? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.