FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that is Paul Slaton...
smile.png

At the checkpoint today -
LybwUA.jpg

Last bike in before 8 pm, and its an FJR.
I think it is Greg Lenentine (sp). VA tag and tail dragger Fuel Cell.

I believe it was Sampson sport touring products but they are no longer in business. I believe Gregg has told me he bought the last one they made.

Sampson was owned by Terry Smith (a rally rider, rally master, and all-around nice guy). Sadly he passed away quite some time ago and the business closed when he did.

John notes the historical Dollywood Incident in the 1999 IBR that lead to the practice of withholding bonus locations for a leg until after that leg is finished.

Fans flocked to Dollywood to see Riders come and go but security guards at the amusement park were less-than-thrilled by the very-early-morning throngs and started "shooing away" spectators and Riders alike. Riders needing the well-earned bonus were faced with the additional challenge of using their "Dodge, Dip, Dive, Duck, and Dogde" drills while trying to get a photo with their flag and the landmark in it.

Interesting twist, not having to come back to the WA checkpoint. If you had planned on coming back for a tire change, would you try to rearrange things so you could do the mega long 2/3 leg? Or just ride your plan? How big/hard would the bonus be to tempt you into it? I'm dying to know...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NCJ
Really wondering what the carrot the Rally Bastard is hanging out their to entice people to skip the second check in.

What carrot to dangle? Hmmm. How about a UCC (Prudhoe Bay to Key West) bonus for 70K points or so? If you accomplish that during the leg you don't have to do Checkpoint #2. Or how about a 48-state ride bonus between now and the end? Or a 4-corners bonus? Any other outrageous (to me) rides that you could stuff into an IBR as a bonus that would lure the Big Dogs into skipping Checkpoint #2?

BTW, thanks to Matt for overseeing this thread and to the FJRForum folks for providing this place to come and observe those who can do these sorts of super human rides!

Best,

Lumpy

11th place guy did 5,291 miles in 3.5 days!

IBR's not a distance competition, I know, but 5,291 miles....

What carrot to dangle? Hmmm. How about a UCC (Prudhoe Bay to Key West) bonus for 70K points or so? If you accomplish that during the leg you don't have to do Checkpoint #2. Or how about a 48-state ride bonus between now and the end? Or a 4-corners bonus? Any other outrageous (to me) rides that you could stuff into an IBR as a bonus that would lure the Big Dogs into skipping Checkpoint #2?
BTW, thanks to Matt for overseeing this thread and to the FJRForum folks for providing this place to come and observe those who can do these sorts of super human rides!

Best,

Lumpy
48 (47?) states in the time left sure seems doable.

Best,

Lumpy
48 (47?) states in the time left sure seems doable.
Of course, you'd likely be picking up other bonuses along the way. And maybe they make the 48-state ride a bonus but the points offered for that bonus aren't really high. Or maybe they said something like "You can skip Checkpoint #2 by completing one of these two items. Here are the bonus points for the remaining bonii effective today. HOWEVER, if you do Checkpoint #2, you'll get revised bonus totals that are at least 10% higher than if you skip Checkpoint #2." The uncertain scenarios you could force the riders to have to choose between now with more than a week left in the rally are mind-numbing. Jeff Earls, having participated in multiple IBRs, certainly knows the fears and uncertainies that riders face even if everything goes right--he could make their life very "difficult." Fun stuff!

Lumpy

Reactions: NCJ
I was wondering if St Johns in NL could be a bonus that would allow someone to skip the second CP? It looks to be about 6500 miles to get there plus back to SC.

The opportunity to drop the 2nd checkpoint for a monster 2nd leg is interesting. I can't wait to see the actual bonus listings for this rally! I making a guess here. They've done this years before to allow riders to do the Haul road. So I doubt its that again. If your going to allow riders to do this it has to be something big. So my guess is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Labrador_Highway . A nice trip to Happy Valley Goose Bay before returning to the finish. About 6000 miles so seems doable
smile.png

Just my guess at this point....

- Colin

Edit: This could also be an option https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuvik%E2%80%93Tuktoyaktuk_Highway

Status
Not open for further replies.