FJRForum Official 2019 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My calculation shows a need for 53.5 hours @ 61.7mph. to get in the barn before the door shuts. If he/she gets some power naps, and cruises 80mph, they can do it.

Come on Homer!

HOMER is near Burwash Landing, 3745 miles out. That translates to an avg. mph of approx. 65 mph to make it home.....not looking too hopeful to me.
GO, HOMER, GO!

Ride safely.
Does anyone know how long the delay on spot is, there is a delay, is it ten minutes or an hour or more ??, as we look at these spots those riders could be a 100 miles down the road from where we see them and maybe more. there are a lot of IBR riders here, any of you know how long the delay is.

A funny thought just came over me.

There are 85 other riders out there, busting their asses, and no one is paying them any attention.

Twisted world we live in.

Go everybody Go! but especially Homer!

IIRC Spot's delay is usually 15-20 minutes. It stores bread crumbs when there is lost visibility to satellites and will update X reports all at once when connectivity is restored.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the delay seemed to be in motel parking lots last night... Went to bed about 2 am central and noted a bunch of the riders in the midwest in motel parking lots. Now at 8 am a lot of them haven't moved- Good to see them getting some quality rest.

A lot of the delay seemed to be in motel parking lots last night... Went to bed about 2 am central and noted a bunch of the riders in the midwest in motel parking lots. Now at 8 am a lot of them haven't moved- Good to see them getting some quality rest.
Looks like a lot of them are getting their final rest before the push to the barn. Incredible efforts by all! Looks like two are head way up into the NE. One down at the tip of Louisiana

For those armchair riders, more meta-speculation embedded in my 2007 IBR final write-up. I even pasted in the bonuses I went to after the packet. Wanna see what it was like 12 years ago to slip into the top 20?
https://mattwatkins.org/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Final-Write-Up.pdf
Just burned the morning reading your story from start to finish. Sucked me in and I just kept scrolling. This made me get a slight sense of what it is like to ride in the rally. Amazing. Thank you.

IIRC Spot's delay is usually 15-20 minutes. It stores bread crumbs when there is lost visibility to satellites and will update X reports all at once when connectivity is restored.
The public feed during the IBR can be on a variable delay at the discretion of rally management. Don’t try to compare it to usual Spotwalla lag times.

Does anyone know how long the delay on spot is, there is a delay, is it ten minutes or an hour or more ??, as we look at these spots those riders could be a 100 miles down the road from where we see them and maybe more. there are a lot of IBR riders here, any of you know how long the delay is.
Noted in the very first post FAQ.

A funny thought just came over me.
There are 85 other riders out there, busting their asses, and no one is paying them any attention.

Twisted world we live in.

Go everybody Go! but especially Homer!
Oh, there are going to be plenty of good stories. Whoever's running up the Saint Lawrence could still have a pretty epic trip if both Gaspe and Surrey are in play - it wouldn't take much else to make that a hell of a big ride even though it might not look that way on the map.

here in Richmond VA we're heading to the mid- and upper 90's tomorrow, there are going to be some really wiped-out riders at the finish.

edit: though the timing would put them through here in the nighttime, so that's a little better.

As we're around the 48 hour mark it's probably a good time to remind folks that the finish location and time:

FINISH - Friday, June 28, 10 am EDT

Greenville Marriott
One Parkway East
Greenville, South Carolina 29615
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01am Scoring opens at 5am
Finishers' Banquet 6:30pm - Sold Out

Key there is the 8:00 am time for penalty and if they're not there by 10 am...they're DNF.

Looks like Homer is holed up here: https://www.northernrockieslodge.com/
A valiant effort. I imagine there was a lot of emotion as the reality of the situation set in. There will be a lot more as they continue their ride. I hope he/she can make it back in time for the banquet.
Man-O-man. 47 hours to make a Google maps-calculated 49 hour ride. Hopefully it's just SPOTwalla delay and they're already on the way, otherwise it ain't looking good at all to get in for a finish.

About the clump of 3 in Saskatchewan:

Remember that riders that chose Alaska left Kennewick (at best) with a brand new rear tire. I bet their Alaska choice chewed rubber up like cheap bubblegum.

And Edmonton looks like the first real place to get fresh rubber...and also a pretty good place to land last night after midnight to snag a rest bonus. I think that pack of 3 probably will deal with these variables a bit differently. It's possible the order of those 3 will change as they clear that city.

And the riders headed to Quebec:

Boy, they look like they're headed to Perce Rock to me. I read somewhere else that low tide is 16:00 ADT...which wouldn't be good for them if it's like 2007 where we had to hike to the island. But there's also a lighthouse there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.