FJRForum Official 2023 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis Thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of the previous comments on shifting to other social media, I looked at Facebook but I was not able to see much there. I'm not a great Facebooker so there is that but I'm just not finding much...

Because of the previous comments on shifting to other social media, I looked at Facebook but I was not able to see much there. I'm not a great Facebooker so there is that but I'm just not finding much...
Didn't see much on FB either. Perhaps what's happening is the internet age phenomena where while the number of people interested in something shrinks, the intensity of the shrinking groups involvement increases?

Didn't see much on FB either. Perhaps what's happening is the internet age phenomena where while the number of people interested in something shrinks, the intensity of the shrinking groups involvement increases?

The most activity I've found is at IBA Motorcycle Riders on FB. But yes, the decline in discussion here and elsewhere is a bit sad.

^
This... I've sent this same picture snapped from my phone to friends that ride and kind-of get it and friends that definitely don't get it. I think it's a great indication of the excellent puzzle created by the rally masters this year.

If I remember right, Key West was often considered a sucker bonus, because it's so long to go all the way there through traffic. But I count 7 or 8 already this time.

I didn't watch closely enough for the Cabot Trail rider to see if they went all the way up to Meat Cove or if they stopped at an eatery up there. That brings back some amazing memories when we were there 7 years and a week ago.

^
This... I've sent this same picture snapped from my phone to friends that ride and kind-of get it and friends that definitely don't get it. I think it's a great indication of the excellent puzzle created by the rally masters this year.

If I remember right, Key West was often considered a sucker bonus, because it's so long to go all the way there through traffic. But I count 7 or 8 already this time.

I didn't watch closely enough for the Cabot Trail rider to see if they went all the way up to Meat Cove or if they stopped at an eatery up there. That brings back some amazing memories when we were there 7 years and a week ago.

He did go up to Meat Cove. The last 10 miles is dirt but it's reasonably maintained.

Canadian FJR

^

I was watching to see where the first rider to make it there stopped.

He was here:
1687953837490.png

Although it looks the Meat Cove Fish and Chips is closed. And the new food truck is the Lawless Lobster:
1687953918987.png

I was going to post a freshened version of my Day 8 post about the fog of the rally, but Lisa Landry nailed it even better and notice some of the rally dots are slowing down. Copy and paste this gem.

I get it.

It’s that time in the rally. The days become longer, the finish farther away, the annoyances more pronounced, the suck more intense. Make no mistake, these are hard days for rallyists. And even harder nights.

I think about this every time my phone rings at night and early morning hours. The voices all run together and have the same tone, the same ring to them. Fortunately most start with the sweet words “I’m OK”. But then the reality of their situation comes through the ever so slight waver in their voice, the weight of the past days heavy on them. But there’s more for some of them. Those who are traveling through the more rural areas, the prairies, remote deserts and mountains of our beautiful country, they often find themselves sitting on the side of a very dark road, with little traffic, nothing within walking distance and the only light that of the stars and moon, if the skies are mercifully cloudless.

These riders may have only a flat tire that won’t plug, but some have broken rims from potholes invisible in the dense night, or mechanical issues that can’t be diagnosed, or the scary interaction with wildlife that may leave their motorcycles damaged but repairable. Things that, nearer civilization and in the light of day, seem solveable. Tow trucks, dealerships, tire stores, friendly helpers are all nearby. But on these lonely distant roads, everything changes. Cell service is spotty, tow trucks non-existent and help so desperately far away. So they sit there in the deepest dark, alone, hearing the loud tick of the incessant clock that started at 10am the Monday before last, hoping this is not the end of their rally.

If you’ve ridden the IBR, you can feel this to your core. If you haven’t, you can only imagine.

While I too lament the lack of enthusiasm about this event, it doesn't surprise me.

When most people, riders and civilians, hear the word "rally", they think of Sturgis or other gatherings that use that name. A rally to them is a destination, not an competition.

If you explain to them what a true rallying is, and in this case the extremism of it, it sounds crazy and dangerous.

Unfortunately, most riders have no interest in riding long distances, which they would consider over 200 miles.

The young guys want to go fast and do wheelies. The older crowd prefers to dress up in black leather and ride to the bar.

Those of us that want to explore far from home on a motorcycle seem to be a dwindling group of enthusiasts.

While I too lament the lack of enthusiasm about this event, it doesn't surprise me.

When most people, riders and civilians, hear the word "rally", they think of Sturgis or other gatherings that use that name. A rally to them is a destination, not an competition.

If you explain to them what a true rallying is, and in this case the extremism of it, it sounds crazy and dangerous.

Unfortunately, most riders have no interest in riding long distances, which they would consider over 200 miles.

The young guys want to go fast and do wheelies. The older crowd prefers to dress up in black leather and ride to the bar.

Those of us that want to explore far from home on a motorcycle seem to be a dwindling group of enthusiasts.
Alternately folks might think it sounds interesting to do but not very interesting to talk about others doing it.

Newest update is pretty cool I’m always amazed at the level of determination that IBR riders show when things go sideways

https://www.ironbuttrally.net/days-08-09-10-battered-and-fried/
“Ted has a spare* engine on the way and he plans to do the swap and get back on the road.”

*diesel engine from a smart car which he is about to cram into a 33 year old BMW