Fleece seat cover or Bead Rider?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
Looking to buy one of these for a long trip to Yosemite this year. I am not concerned that my seat is uncomfortable since I had Rich's do my seat a few years ago. But- I would like something that is cooler on those long days. Anybody have a pref here on which works better?

Thanks

Scott

Alaskan+Leather+Sheepskin+Seat+Cover.jpg

IMG_0241.JPG

I use the sheepskin when I need a 'little cushion' or if it's colder out.

I use the beads when I need a 'lot of cushion' or if it's hotter out.

BTW You can use both of them together, but my buns get confused.

It's definitely a personal preference issue, but my Bead Rider is at least six years old. The black paint is mostly worn off it and the stretchy cord is pretty much stretched all the way out. No problem, I just tied it tighter. Point is, it's held up very well.

It took me maybe 3-4 K miles before I decided I liked it; now I wouldn't ride in the summer without it. (In fact, I use it all the time except actual winter. (By which of course I just mean Sacramento winter.
smile.png
) You don't feel the air moving under your butt, but it is moving, and you just don't feel as hot and sweaty with it. I like the little massage-y feeling a little sliding around gives you, too, after a few hours on the saddle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have both. The beads only go on in the summer time. Minnesota summer, August 8th and 9th. ;)

I find the beads are only comfortable when wearing proper riding pants. Jeans or other pants aren't comfortable with beads.

The beads will definitely flow some air but I think they are very uncomfortable. I'd rather deal with the heat than sit on those beads again.

From the conversations and opinions I have seen in the past, the size and shape of your butt seems to influence whether you like the BeadRider, or an alternative like the AirHawk.

Those of "ample" proportions do seem to get on better with the beads than the skinny dudes. This may be a lb/sq in situation :D

Personally, my skinny butt liked the AirHawk plus a sheepskin, but since the Russell I haven't needed either.

Take a look at Royalriding.com. Their gel seat pad layered with memory foam works like a champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beadrider. All year. Really like the airflow and how water just drains away instead of pooling and seeping in.

I put it on the stock seat and that makes it comfy for saddlesores.

I always use my beadrider on long trips. The things are well-made. I've probably got 35-40K miles sitting on it. I also wear padded cycling shorts. Sometimes on my last day ride heading home from a multi-day ride I pull it off and ride the stock seat to change things up.

If you get one, get the BEADRIDER brand name, if only because their website has such a great photo on the cover...

https://www.beadrider.com/

beadriderhome2.jpg

I have a beaded seat cover (tan). I may have thrown it out because I couldn't figure out who would want it.

If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you if you want to pay shipping.

-Iris

AirHawk in summer, AirHawk case with six layers of and old blue-foam sleeping pad in winter. The foam is too hot in summer, but the warmth is great in the winter.

I have a beaded seat cover (tan). I may have thrown it out because I couldn't figure out who would want it.If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll send it to you if you want to pay shipping.

-Iris
Did you ever find that Beadrider? If you still have it, I'll take it. I wanted to try one out and the price is right. Lemme know.