FNG's Excellent Adventure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geno

Reaction score
Took delivery of my '11 FJR on June 4, have been riding the hell out of her ever since. My latest trip was Stockton CA to Portland OR (via Hwy 1 & 101)starting last Thursday. Stopped for lunch in Eureka on Friday. Returned to the bike to find a flat rear tire (4700 miles). Thought I was screwed, but lo & behold, I was right across the street from Pacific Motorsports (with a big honkin' Yamaha sign out front!) Pulled into the service bay, and was greeted by guys who took me in immediately. The OEM tire, a Bridgestone BT021 had a nail in it, and the tech told me they were forbidden by their insurance company to repair it. ( I've been told this by others, too). They replaced it with a Pirelli Angel ST, mounted & balanced it in about an hour, and I was on my way. After a spectacular ride up the Northern California & Oregon coast (I think everybody in Oregon & N Cal with a bike was riding 101) I got to Portland only to find my front tire was pretty badly worn & cupped. Looks like I need to find another Pirelli. Man, at this rate I better start buying my tires on line & in bulk. Are those Bridgestones supposed to have that short a lifespan? I sure don't consider myself a particularly aggressive rider, as I'm still getting back into the groove after a long hiatus from bikes, and the FJR is quite a departure from anything I'd ever ridden before. Sure love it, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The BT-021 front is known to be junk. 4000 is pretty common mileage. The rear is a decent tire, too bad about the nail. Buy a sticky string kit and a 10-dollar 12V compressor at Wal-Mart.

My 08 had Metzler's which I thought were crap. Never felt confident on them (grip) but I did get 8K out of front and rear. On Michelin's now (PR2's) and couldn't be happier with grip. Good luck with your Pirelli's.