FODS 2 Is In the Books

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
Just got back from an excellent weekend playing in the dirt with about 10 Forum and non-Forum dudes, five of their lovely wives, and I believe 3 of their kids, for a total of about 18 people on about 20 different off-road or dual sport vehicles. I'd say 3 (or was it 4) quads, two or 3 mini-bikes, a bunch of KLRs, DRs, a Husky, one V-Strom, and a few pure dirt-only bikes in a great setting with beautiful motorcycle roads, great dirt roads, and two or three different motocross courses.

Organized by Uberkul and the lovely Mrs. U (Brad and Christie), the party began Friday at Sopiago Springs Resort, somewhere between Jackson and Lake Tahoe just off California 88 at about 4500 to 5000 feet. The weather was beautiful, the moon rose with the sunset over the meadow, and the riding was outstanding. Saturday was our biggest ride, with a loop led by Brad most of the way up to the Calaveras Dome, but we stopped a bit short due to the extreme dryness-caused deep flour-like powder that was way too easy to sink into like quicksand and the blinding dust every rider created for those behind, and because Steve (Bluestreek's) new KLR was trying to crap out in the wilderness. We came out on the road JUST before the crapout became a reality, and managed to coast and push the offending beast down into Pioneer for later recovery. More on that below.

Highlander (Dave, with Diane) came on his Alaska-veteran V-Strom, and was generous with offers of rides for any takers. At least two of us are now toying with the idea of drinking some Strom-flavored Kool-Aid. We missed Mad Mike on our ride. We thought he left with the rest of us, found out ten miles down the road that he'd circled back to his campsite for something and didn't know where we'd gone, so he took off and enjoyed his own ride. Guess that wasn't the lowpoint of his trip, though. Sunday, he realized he'd lost his truck keys. Last I saw of him, he was still waiting for the locksmith who was supposed to show up after "an hour or an hour and a half." Hope he's back by now. Speaking for Mike, though, maybe a higher note for him was hit around lunchtime Sunday when Christie brought out a "Happy Birthday Mad Mike" cake she'd brought up to celebrate his recent one. And it was delicious.

On Friday a visitor dropped in for a few hours. "Orestes," aka Dave Clark (no, not that one) pulled in on his way to Yosemite, then Death Valley, the Grand Canyon, the Tetons, Yellowstone, and I don't know where else before heading back to his home in S.E. England. It was great to meet you Dave. We also had FJRob and his buddy Steve with their wives and kids, two huge travel trailers and stable of various bikes, and two MORE "Steves" from the San Jose area, Staledonut and his buddy, um, Steve (for a total of four). Guess that's all. Oh, and me. So just a few shots.

Here's Orestes with Steve and Cindy, the Bluestreeks

IMG_0598.jpg

Heading out for the Saturday ride (note MadMike is still with us--dead center. How did we lose him?)

IMG_0601.jpg

Somewhere between Bear River Reservoir and Calaveras Dome, waiting for the dust to settle

IMG_0612.jpg

After Steve's bike gave out, Brad pushed him home one-legged (honest). Or was he just fighting the high cost of oil?

IMG_0614.jpg

Another view (come to think of it, when your bike is burning a quart of oil with about every tank of gas, I think it WAS the high cost of oil)

IMG_0615.jpg

Back in camp, I've finally found the perfect bike for me

IMG_0619.jpg

Hope there's a FODS 3, and hope it's open to all the Feejer riders too. Too many excellent mountain roads (twisty, gorgeous, and empty) around there to have it be only dirt. See you then!

Mike, Mike, Mike! Way to go. A very entertaining report. It was great to see the faces, familiar and new.

I hope MadMike got the key thing handled and got home safely, and that Steve sorted things out.

I'm sure a good time was had by all, and I certainly hope I can make the next one. I'm guessing there were campfire stories.

Looking forward to seeing photo and word contributions from the rest of the gang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome write up Mike. Looks like a great time had by one and all.

I dunno about your new steed. Stick some heated gear, auxiliary fuel cell, and a GPS on it then maybe... :D

John, I moved this over to keep things tidy. Thanks for the report and great seeing you. Next time come with a longer shopping list and more time. :lol:

Was out to buy a gallon of milk and stopped by to see this gathering ....didn't stay long, but long enough to see that those of us who didn't take advantage of 2008 FODS are D.U.M. (dumb). GREAT folks, GREAT location, PERFECT weather ...yada yada yada.
Those who missed: Let's all not make the same mistake in 2009 by not doing this gig.

08FODS.JPG

The campsite at Sopiago Springs Resort where the 2008FODS extravaganza was taking place.

08FODS%20(1).JPG

Some of the gang: Madmike(table) Highlander (right) and Bluestreek (yellow shirt)

08FODS%20(2).JPG

08FODS%20(3).JPG

Mrs. Bluestreek has always been my favorite.

Not shown: quite a few folks.

Shown, but you cant see him: Uberkul, the leader of this pack. Trust me, he's in these pics, but so dirty from dirt-biking that you can't see him.

Didn't stay long, after all, I was only out to fetch a gallon of milk :)

Felt lucky to see these folks for a bit, but sad that I couldn't make the whole weekend.

a few more pics of my ride can be seen here(clicky)

I think everyone enjoyed themselves at the second annual FODS even with its few minor glitches and shortcomings. Sacramento Mike did a great job with this start up report so I won't mess it up by getting all wordy and let the pictures do most of the talking.

Friday morning, all systems go until I pull up to the Sopiago Springs gate that is locked. Hmm, no worries, there is a work-around for everything. Off load one bike and ride in to see if anyone is home to find nothing, the place is deserted. Deep concern sets in as Christy and I drive/ride back up to the top of the hill to get cell service. Calls are made, messages left, and emails sent to get this potential train wreck back on track. As we wait for something to shake loose at the top of the hill the Bluestreeks (Steve and Cindy) and SacramentoMike arrive. A short hour and a half latter we get a call containing the super secret gate combo to let ourselves in. Whew, FODS now had a home, my biggest job was complete, now it was up the masses to populate and flourish.

Shortly after arrival we met Orestes (Dave Clark) who flew all the way from England for this event. He was actually doing a western states tour on a Fly-n-Ride tour that had crumbled and he was pressing on as the sole survivor without a guide but having the tour company arange things remotely. I got the feeling he will do just fine turning a little adversity into adventure.

372835035_iDjdW-XL.jpg

372835177_aXZS6-XL.jpg

This circle of friends expanded and contracted quite a bit over the weekend.

372835289_VAnun-XL.jpg

Saturday morning broke to the sound of coyotes and cowbells.

372835543_GexLq-XL.jpg

372835911_cWME9-XL.jpg

MadMike, Bluestreek and Highlander looking over Mikes recently remodeled KLR.

372836039_KoK8i-XL.jpg

I think this young lady was speaking of evil things (notice the tiny pitchfork)

372836271_qbbCY-XL.jpg

And this young man wanted nothing to hear of it.

372836514_SWnb2-XL.jpg

Being at this up and coming moto destination provided a few perks not found at many campgrounds. Besides the motocross, flat and kids tracks there was this little enduro-cross track. The owner showed me the lines Saturday but the real fun started Sunday.

372838912_JvvLS-XL.jpg

372838686_z4sKR-XL.jpg

372838791_3mHka-XL.jpg

372838573_5zhpW-XL.jpg

Trouble has three ingredients... this is all of them!

372839279_t9aRi-XL.jpg

Super-Dave

372839496_5fCUt-XL.jpg

FJRobs friend Steve

372839912_Nj4Yi-XL.jpg

Super-Dave Highlander in a less than super position.

372840022_VToKj-XL.jpg

FJRobs point of view for a descent... you can feel the tension. :eek:

372840418_c5JYM-XL.jpg

372840550_Z5Vwr-XL.jpg

:yahoo: And the crowd goes wild! :yahoo:

372840160_bSxjH-XL.jpg

Great times folks, let's do it again sometime.

Oh, my goodness -- how did I let myself miss this? If I'd only known!
I'm going to start looking now for a bargain dual sport.
Dual sport is NOT required though highly suggested. There were enough paved roads to entertain anyone. Keep an eye out for next year's planned event.....

1.) I had a great time! :yahoo:

2.) Even getting left behind can be good if one is willing to enjoy their own adventure. North South Rd. to Mormon Emigrant is a real hoot! :clapping: As is the ride to Bear River Dam and the ride to Salt Springs Reservoir.

3.) Camp fires seem to be an FJR Forum specialty, or maybe its the FJR owners that make any gathering special. You guys are the greatest! Did I mention I had a great time?

4.) I will post my pictures when I get them downloaded, etc., etc.

5.) Still no "joy in Mudville". Everything is washed and stowed (well, almost everything, there is still a load in the drier.) and there are NO KEYS. I lost them really really good, so it was worth the $$$ to have the locksmith come up!

6.) I still had a great time!

7.) exskibum was missed!

OH MY!!!

Those are some GREAT pics Brad!! AWESOME STUFF!!! Man-O-Man, what phools the rest of us were for not taking advantage of the weekend with you guys.

SactoMike ....My stop was very very brief. Just a few minutes to say hello to the gang ...was out on a little trip to get a gallon of milk and took the long way :) .....sorry I missed ya .....next time we'll connect

8.) :clapping: :clapping: Great job, Brad! :clapping: :clapping:

Thanks for all your work organizing the venue, gathering names, etc., making the plans, scouting the rides ...and .... just being the people that you and Christie are.

Great job putting this together Brad. Cyndi and I had a great time and are looking forward to next year.

Here are a few of the photos I took

Our camp site

IMG_1373.jpg

The fire pit ready to go. Unfortunately the area has been very dry and open flames are not allowed.

IMG_1372.jpg

The BBQ

The steaks were great.

IMG_1378.jpg

The hill

IMG_1399.jpg

Dave showing how its done

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

FJROB's friend Steve getting it done

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

FJROB in action

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

After uploading my camera after Hwy 36-3-96-299...I found these pictures so I thought I'd better post them.

In the morning, Kristi and Brad (uberkuls) and Bluestreek entertain guests.....

....We have COWS!

How were we to know we made camp in THEIR favorite breakfast spot????

NorCalHwy36to96001.jpg

I missed the group taking off for the ride, so I took my own: North-South Rd. to R on Mormon Emigrant Trail, then West on Hwy 88 and into Bear River. Then I decided to go a bit farther West on 88 and ride into Salt Springs Reservoir. Wow, what a nice dual-sport paved road:

NorCalHwy36to96002.jpg

NorCalHwy36to96004.jpg

Salt Springs Dam

NorCalHwy36to96005.jpg

THE EVENING LIBATION:

Rob and Terri (FJRob) brought an interesting 2-stroke gasoline engine "power blender" to the party....or should I say they brought this to MAKE the party!?!?!?

First step: Check the fit and adjustment of the handlebars.

NorCalHwy36to96007.jpg

Second step: Have your wife explain how to carefully measure the ingredients:

NorCalHwy36to96008.jpg

This should be about right!

NorCalHwy36to96009.jpg

Third step: Fire that puppy up!!!

NorCalHwy36to96010.jpg

Fourth step: Vroom...Vroom...Git'r Done!!!

Notice the form....only one hand!

NorCalHwy36to96011.jpg

Amazing tricks without the use of a net!

Enjoyed the write up and pictures. Looks like great fun. Wish I was a bit closer to drag the dual sport down your way. But the clincher was FJRob and the blender. That is a classic, would like to know the creative history behind that. That is reason enough to come south more often and crash your get togethers.

Rob and Terri like their "toy". We heard the noise in their camp and couldn't figure why they were using a chainsaw for firewood.

Hmmmmm......

They brought it down to the group camp and shared the joy!

Yes Bob, the NorCal group is a fun group to gather with. Uh....there are plans being made for FODS 3 near Hwy 20 & I-80 next year. I think the town is called Washington and is in the middle of many great dual-sport roads. If you want to mark your calendar.....