For those of you planning a European Alpine M/C trip.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WheatonFJR: What physical size are you and the wife? The reason that I ask this is because one of the best rental deals for motorcycles in central Europe are BMW K75RT's that Stefan Knopf https://knopftours.com rents out at only $665 USD weekly.

I'm physically Triple-Extra-Lard, and my 12 year old son Seth is a big boy too, so we are somewhat forced to use a BMW R1150RT when I rent from Herr Knopf; same exact Beemer that I here ride in Estados Unidos. But if you und dir Frau are of average builds and good at packing you cannot beat the K75RT for Alpine and Dolomites twisty and tight mountain roads!

https://www.edelweissbike.com/OUT/HATE.pdf You and the wife could do this 10 day vacation with 7 riding days for less than $4,000 on a self guided basis; after Labor Day when European High Season is over. In September you can count on Passo di Stelvio, Timmelsjoch und Grossglockner to be open and uncrowded on the weekdays for really fun and fantastic riding!

On the Autobahn it's 4 hours / 260 miles from Heidelberg, Germany to Warth, Austria for the first night and 5.5 hours and 355 miles from last night at Lienz, Austria on the last day. Night in Pontresina, Switzerland and two nights in Bolzano, Italy.

Spend your fifth night in gorgeous Cortina d' Ampezzo and bag a dozen passes; including Falzarego, Tre Croci, Pellegrino.....

WheatonFJR: What physical size are you and the wife? The reason that I ask this is because one of the best rental deals for motorcycles in central Europe are BMW K75RT's that Stefan Knopf https://knopftours.com rents out at only $665 USD weekly.
I'm physically Triple-Extra-Lard, and my 12 year old son Seth is a big boy too, so we are somewhat forced to use a BMW R1150RT when I rent from Herr Knopf; same exact Beemer that I here ride in Estados Unidos. But if you und dir Frau are of average builds and good at packing you cannot beat the K75RT for Alpine and Dolomites twisty and tight mountain roads!

https://www.edelweissbike.com/OUT/HATE.pdf You and the wife could do this 10 day vacation with 7 riding days for less than $4,000 on a self guided basis; after Labor Day when European High Season is over. In September you can count on Passo di Stelvio, Timmelsjoch und Grossglockner to be open and uncrowded on the weekdays for really fun and fantastic riding!

On the Autobahn it's 4 hours / 260 miles from Heidelberg, Germany to Warth, Austria for the first night and 5.5 hours and 355 miles from last night at Lienz, Austria on the last day. Night in Pontresina, Switzerland and two nights in Bolzano, Italy.

Spend your fifth night in gorgeous Cortina d' Ampezzo and bag a dozen passes; including Falzarego, Tre Croci, Pellegrino.....

Combined...we are 330 amerikanischern pounds. So she is pretty small. :lol:

Thanks for all the mouthwatering info. ;)

...and Wheatie, as soon as you enter Italy you're under my jurisdiction :lol: My buddies and I will show you some cool roads.

Just say the word... B)

Stef

...and Wheatie, as soon as you enter Italy you're under my jurisdiction :lol: My buddies and I will show you some cool roads.Just say the word... B)

Stef
If my words could speak money...I'd be there in a heartbeat. B)

...and I couldn't do this once in a lifetime visit and pass up the opportunity to be directed around by the most famous Italian FJR Rider on the planet. :clapping:

Thank you guys for chatting up the good rides. I plunged in this year to finally get my "Riding the High Alps" under my belt without consulting those of you who know what you are doing.

I'm arriving in Munich 6/30 to rent a 1200GSA for 9 days, @4260kms and @72 passes. At that pace I have to do it alone and hope for as little rain as possible. I'm trying to get most of my high stuff in before 1300-1400 hrs daily. I really am benefitting from what others have posted, and I sincerely thank you!!!

I get to do all the standard high mountains including the Col de Iseran to the west, the Dolomites to the south, and as far east as the Salzkammergut and Hengstpass. Two days include in excess of 15 passes each......weather and traffic permitting. I'm assuming 400-550 km days are very doable for someone who will be on the bike at 0600 and expects to

ride with few breaks until 2000 hrs. One of my days has recently grown to 865 km, which in California is an ordinary good daily ride in our mountains, but may be a bit long there. Adjustments will probably be made.

Thanks again for sharing. It is greatly appreciated.

Alan

https://www.alpineroads.com Have a wonderful time, Alan! Routing looks excellent and you've sehr gut M/C arbeiten fur dir

Fellow FJR Forum Members: Here is a link to the passes Cello II will be riding. If you want to ride these passes on Google Earth to Col d l' Iseran: Start in Briancon, France, East to Fenestrelle, Italy and then North through Susa, back into France.

Fur der Dolomiten: Center Google Earth on Cortina, and radiate out from there. Salzkammergut Lakes are near Salzburg, A

https://www.alpineroads.com/dachstein.php#hengst Alan has definitely and absolutely done his homework. We Auslanders, even other Europeans, usually do not know about Hengstpass. Righteous Racer Boy Road along a river in a narrow gorge!!!

Thanks for your support! It is going to be a great once-in-a-lifetime ride. :yahoo:

I need some of your input on two specific long day rides that I have planned. Perhaps some of you are familiar with these roads. Let me preface my question with letting you know that I am the turkey who rode 50 passes in Colorado in the 4 days before NAFO last year. I also set a personal best with 33 passes in CA within 24 hours last June (1263 miles). So I am no stranger to long days. But these roads are very different from those in the West.

My question is this: Is it impossible to do this 542km day in 15 hours? Merano, Bolzano, Karer, Pellegrino, Valles, Rolle, Cereda, Aurine, Duran, Staulanza, Piau, Falzarego, Valparola, Gardena, Sella, Pordoi, Campolongo, Wurz Joch, Furka Sattel, Staller Sattel, Fr.Joseph Str., Thurn Pass, and end up in Kitzbuhel? And it falls on a Sunday! I've done lots of steep switchbacks, but never with this kind of intensity.

Can one average 40 kph in the steep stuff?

My other long day follows the previous one. Kitzbuhel, Grossglockner, Gailbergsatte, Plockenpass, Forcella Luis, Carson di Lanza,Nassfeldpass, Kreutzberg, Nachalmstr. Tamsweg, Schoder, Solkpass, Liezen, Hengstpass, Buchersattel, Bad Aussee, Halstatt, Gschutt, Bischofshofen, Dientener Passe, and back to Kitzbuhel. I estimate it to be 826km, and if I start at 0530, I might return by 2130 with only a short meal somewhere.

Again. The question is, can one do this (legally!)? I'm not explecting comfort.....probably not more than two 10 minute breaks all day. There is just too much to see and do in too short a time!!

I realize that if I leave out the Plockenpass/Nassfeld loop, I will have only 681 kms and can relax and enjoy the day.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Sorry I can't join you guys in Canada this year.

Alan

Can one average 40 kph in the steep stuff?

Yes, I think so but those distances seem too long.

I rode Europe and the Alps for 2 months at the end of 2007 summer--2-up on a fully loaded V-Strom 650.

The mountains make their own weather. Rain, fog even snow may be encountered and don't forget about the cows (along with manure) on the roads.

And there is only so much daylight. You don't want to do this in the dark.

I still have my Garmin rt's saved from my trip.

On review, it looks like we did 300 km a day on average usually about 6 hours of riding per day.

3 in morning and 3 in afternoon.

Thanks, Brody. You've helped clarify the situation. I ride alone and carry most of my food. By leaving at 6:00 am, I could easily double your morning range. It looks like I could do it!!

I already know I can't have a casual pace at all on those two days. What I will have to make adjustments for are fog, poor visibility, and road repair pauses that will inevitably pop up. In my mind the days are clear. In reality there will be many times that I will not be able to see the mountains that I traveled so far to see.

......... make adjustments for are fog, poor visibility, and road repair pauses that will inevitably pop up. ................ ................
Yes, you need to have some contingency plans for when those things come up.

We ran into major repairs on the Grand St. Bernard Pass, one day........we were stopped multiple times totaling at least a couple hours just climbing up one side.

Bicycles get the same respect as cars over there. While it is easy for a motorcycle to fit past bicycles, you will be behind cars and trucks, following cyclists, waiting for a chance to pass.

Some passes are little one lane adventure roads.........on those you may average 20 kph.

Each little town that you pass through is a point of congestion. No by-passes, low speed limits, traffic jams can be caused by a bus meeting a truck because the streets are so narrow.

On the other hand, if you can ride like the average local over there, you will make up for lost time.

Filtering (lane splitting) is legal and since you're from CA, you're probably used to it.

They don't seem to care what is around that blind corner,,,,,,,,,,they just pass and if there is oncoming traffic, they squeeze through.

Best of luck,,,,,,,,,have a great trip!!

Just got back from a week in Paris with my Lady Friend Rena. My fourth trip to Paris in forty years. Hombre I do love Paris!

Alan: Brody has given you some very well seasoned and excellent Euro Moto Tour advice! Concur with his every last word!

Do not be concerned with speeding out in the open and rural spaces of Europe. Be very concerned with speeding in towns!

My friends Markus Hellrigl of Austria und Tomek Holst of Germany were both formerly law enforcement motor officers in Osterreich und Deutschland respectively; they now both work summer time for Edelweiss Bike Tours as Professional Guides.

Their attitude towards speeding out of town: Machts nichts, Freund! But they take speeding in their towns as serious as a heart attack and will write you up in a minute. Their families and friends live in these towns and they do not want them hurt.

I know of your skills and I believe your long days are fine with your M/C abilities. Looking at my old maps, I've done them!

I hear you both "loud and clear". I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'll take special care in towns because I like others to feel safe also.....and it will give me time to read the signs. On the open road I suspect there will be many times that I will be startlingly overtaken by the spirited local riders in much more of a sport mode than I, but overall, I'll hold my own very well.

I've googled every corner I'll take on this trip and probably will again before I leave. What fun!! This is going to be a most memorable experience. Thanks loads for your help and reassurance.

Alan

Cello II, this message might still catch you before you leave.

Feel free to call me if there's anything you might need once you're here. I'm sending you a PM with my cell #.

Have loads of fun and ride safe

Stef

I got your PM, Stef, and I really appreciate your invitation and info. I'm delighted to see so many people sharing hopes and concerns about riding in this glorious area. :clapping: I get a warm feeling of encouragement from all your comments.

You would be amused, Stef, that on the only "group" ride I participated in so far this spring, that I mentioned my plans to ride in Europe to some of the guys. Three of them told me I should look you up or contact you; that you are a major source of info and are most willing to share what you know. What a wonderful compliment!! :yahoo: So, I had to pass it on to you. Your good reputation is on the minds of some serious California riders.

Alan

(...) you are a major source of info and are most willing to share what you know. What a wonderful compliment!! :yahoo: (...)
Unfortunately, it's wholly undeserved. But, hey, I kinda like it now that I see it in print :yahoo:

You guys know that if there's anything I can do to help (and maybe ride along with you) I'll be happy to do it. That having been said, I hope to share some good twisties with you, Alan, and raise a couple of glasses when the day's work is done B)

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry to have to announce that I have had to cancel all my plans for the Alps. :angry2: On 6/11 a deer tried to jump over my head on a road near Yakima ,Washington and did not make it. The deer is dead. My FJR slid across the street and collided with a small pickup, shoving it backwards for twenty feet. I slid down the road for 135 feet face down and have some road rash and a broken finger for my troubles. ATGATT!! I was out of the hospital in 3 hours, but my FJR is more than finished.

I will soon repair, and I already miss the many, many helpful comments you have conveyed to me. But at almost 74, this may be a horse that I do not get up and ride again. It is far to soon to make any permanent decisions.

No condolences wanted, but I thought you should know that life turns a corner very quickly.

Alan

Aw, she-it Alan.... :huh:

I thought you should know that life turns a corner very quickly
Doesn'it just!

I'm glad you were not seriously hurt.

As for Europe, it's gonna be around a while longer and the exchange rate might become more favorable for you.

I've put a bottle of good white wine in the fridge just in case. I'll wait.

Stef

I'm sorry to have to announce that I have had to cancel all my plans for the Alps. :angry2: On 6/11 a deer tried to jump over my head on a road near Yakima ,Washington and did not make it. The deer is dead. My FJR slid across the street and collided with a small pickup, shoving it backwards for twenty feet. I slid down the road for 135 feet face down and have some road rash and a broken finger for my troubles. ATGATT!! I was out of the hospital in 3 hours, but my FJR is more than finished.
I will soon repair, and I already miss the many, many helpful comments you have conveyed to me. But at almost 74, this may be a horse that I do not get up and ride again. It is far to soon to make any permanent decisions.

No condolences wanted, but I thought you should know that life turns a corner very quickly.

Alan
Glad you're ok Alan, but I think you'll ride again :)

I've been watching and drooling over this thread today... my girlfriend wants to take a cruise to Italy and fly back... I wonder if I could convince her to cruise there, ride up to (some large city with non-stops to the US) and make it a whirlwind trip. I hate cruises and she barely tolerates a ride so it could be a nice compromise....or I could just be dreaming and never see it through.

Dear Alan, I just returned from Canadian FJR Rally with my Son Seth and I was so saddened to read of your deer accident.

We're praying that you'll heal up quickly and will be riding again very soon. Join me in keeping your eyes glued to what The Italian Stallion is doing in 2010. If I didn't have my ride dance card fully filled for 2009 I'd weasel my way onto his Islands Ride, I still haven't set a bike on Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily. Many thanks to Stef I finally got to ride the Pyrenees.

A topic of discussion that was BS'd about at CFR is an England, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Ulster and Scotland Ride in 2011.

The scheme of it is we would fly into London and pick up our bikes. Fairlaner, since he knows every pub in Great Britain, would lead us through England and Wales. The two resident FJR Forum Irishmen, Old Michael and BeemerDonS, would lead the group through Eire and Northern Island. Orestes, from Chatham, will take over as leader as we tour bonnie Scotland.

Sorry Alan about your accident...but very happy that it wasn't more serious than it turned out to be. Just take some time and regroup...as you said - don't make any permanent decisions while you're in this state of mind.