Fork height and turn-in

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg23232

Reaction score
I recently took my 07A to a local DynoJet rep to have it mapped. Since I had to leave it, I trailered it down and back. Since I've had it back I have noticed at slow speed maneuvering, the front really wants to turn-in quickly. I mean noticeable quickly. Out running on the highways through twisties it feels fine. I checked all my suspension settings and they are the same for each fork. Tire pressure where it's supposed to be. For trailering, I used soft ties around the lower fork clamp to tie downs, which I did compress. I never really made note of it before but the tops of my fork tubes are basically level with the top of the clamps. There is about 3/8" 'clean' smooth section of fork below the top of the upper clamp.

Is there a possibility the trailering and compression changed the geometry? If it lenghtened the forks (pulled them down) that would have increased the rake/trail and made it slower to turn-in, not quicker, correct?

Does anyone know what the "factory" fork tube settings in clamps are?

Is there some other reason to account for this?

I recently took my 07A to a local DynoJet rep to have it mapped. Since I had to leave it, I trailered it down and back. Since I've had it back I have noticed at slow speed maneuvering, the front really wants to turn-in quickly. I mean noticeable quickly. Out running on the highways through twisties it feels fine. I checked all my suspension settings and they are the same for each fork. Tire pressure where it's supposed to be. For trailering, I used soft ties around the lower fork clamp to tie downs, which I did compress. I never really made note of it before but the tops of my fork tubes are basically level with the top of the clamps. There is about 3/8" 'clean' smooth section of fork below the top of the upper clamp.
Is there a possibility the trailering and compression changed the geometry? If it lenghtened the forks (pulled them down) that would have increased the rake/trail and made it slower to turn-in, not quicker, correct?

Does anyone know what the "factory" fork tube settings in clamps are?

Is there some other reason to account for this?
My Gen II's forks are also level as you've described. Lowering the front end will result in a little quicker turn/drop in. Also, if your a peg scraper.. U will scrape a tad bit sooner now. It won't lower the overall height of the pegs as much as the front because your sharing this distance with the height of the rear.

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your rear shock settings. They may have messed with the rebound adjuster while on the dyno to minimize 'squat'. The back end being up will also quicken turn in. Ditto if you have an aftermarket shock, and the pre-load is cranked way up.