Fork Oil and Spring Service NEEDED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the last two posts with practical experience. I'm in the same boat as Josh for the front springs.
Josh is out with the guys playing poker tonight, so I'm taking over the thread since my 36th anniversary dinner is over.
punk.gif

I tripled up on my "investment", so the parts were free!! Too bad it wasn't a bigger game.

Happy Anny Tom!!!

After talking with Pants and absorbing as much info I possibly can prior to actually undertaking this process, I ordered up the parts list from PartsZilla.
Going to work on the bike in stages. Stage one will be a fork oil change. At 59,500+ miles, I am certain the oil is not functioning as it should. Springs will come later if the ride is still not satisfactory. I will have all of CFO to evaluate. I plan on gleaning some suspension set up info while at CFO, so do not be alarmed if I ask "How do you like your forks set up?"

Stage 2 will be a new Gen 3 rear shock if the above fix is not good enough. That is more complicated to swap out from what I have heard. Maybe get some help with that from someone who has first hand experience with rear shock assembly. Maybe right before EOM or Hooterville.

Stage 3 will be a new set of aftermarket springs that are beefed up slightly if needed. Maybe right before one last ride in either Arkansas or Wisconsin again.

And if all that doesn't fix it well enough, I will buy a Gen 3 in the DEAD of Winter and sell my bike come spring of 2018(the Gen 4s will be out by then and some poser will finally need to upgrade from his 'not new-enough' Gen 3. I should have enough money saved by then)

If anyone knows of a Youtube video of a Gen 1 fork oil service, shoot me the link. I have not found an exact example yet.

Thanks for all the help you have provided so far.

Cav
Buy some cheap automatic transmission fluid and use it to flush the forks before refilling with new fork oil. There is probably a bit of crud in the bottom from not being changed for so long.

Put my FJR back together this afternoon after school. Way easier than I thought. 99% of that had to do with the help from you all on the board. A few phone calls and tips from Pants and Tom made the process way easier than I was imagining. Made a huge difference on the small shake down ride tonight. Thanks to HaulinAshe. I used his recommended setting from a thread a long time ago. Right out of the box, the front feels way better. Hope I can meet this HaulinAshe guy someday, I want to buy him a drink for his suspension "nerdness". Much appreciated. I went with the stock spring for now. I only wanted to change one thing at a time. If the ride isn't really improved once the season is over, I have something to do this winter!!

I wish I had some pics of he fork sludge that come out of there. It looked like black Maple syrup with worm guts in it. Many flushes with AT fluid did the trick.

Anyway, She is ready to ride up to LaCrosse on Friday morning. Thanks again for the help

Put my FJR back together this afternoon after school. Way easier than I thought. 99% of that had to do with the help from you all on the board. A few phone calls and tips from Pants and Tom made the process way easier than I was imagining. Made a huge difference on the small shake down ride tonight. Thanks to HaulinAshe. I used his recommended setting from a thread a long time ago. Right out of the box, the front feels way better. Hope I can meet this HaulinAshe guy someday, I want to buy him a drink for his suspension "nerdness". Much appreciated. I went with the stock spring for now. I only wanted to change one thing at a time. If the ride isn't really improved once the season is over, I have something to do this winter!! I wish I had some pics of he fork sludge that come out of there. It looked like black Maple syrup with worm guts in it. Many flushes with AT fluid did the trick. Anyway, She is ready to ride up to LaCrosse on Friday morning. Thanks again for the help
Glad the fork job went so well for you and I'm looking forward to meeting up with you Friday.

BION - I was thinking about you today and wondering where you were. Hope the improvement is worthwhile but even if not, you've got a good plan.

Cheers!

The single best thing I have done to my fjeer is the traxion ak20 front forks. I later added the penske rear shock and it is good but the front forks is superior in my opinion.

The single best thing I have done to my fjeer is the traxion ak20 front forks. I later added the penske rear shock and it is good but the front forks is superior in my opinion.
I have no doubt you are correct in the superior equipment choice gives a much improved ride. My cost was under 100 bucks for the whole rebuild. I don't think u can buy a sticker that says "Traxion or Penske". I bet they are a great upgrade but I simply could not even come close to affording that stuff now. Plus, for me, that level of quality is so much overkill. No way I can ride at the level that equipment is designed at. I do appreciate the suggestions, they are "wish list" rhoe of hardware!!