Fork Protectors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2wheeldrift

Reaction score
I've just purchased a superbrace for my 08 FJR & want to move the protectors up the forks to install the brace. I've tried turning & pushing up, gently tapping them up with a flat edge chisel, tried prying them up with a wide steel rule. Haven't damaged anything.... as yet. I know this has got to be fairly simple. Please..... some advise/tips. Thanks.

I've just purchased a superbrace for my 08 FJR & want to move the protectors up the forks to install the brace. I've tried turning & pushing up, gently tapping them up with a flat edge chisel, tried prying them up with a wide steel rule. Haven't damaged anything.... as yet. I know this has got to be fairly simple. Please..... some advise/tips. Thanks.
You ain't gonna like this.....You cut 'em off and toss 'em. Look at #3 HERE. Cut the plastic CAREFULLY with something like an Exacto knife.

Then you install the fork protectors from Superbrace (for an extra $25) that attach to the brace with the screws provided, shown in this pic:

image2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I'm surprised you're having so much trouble with this. I Installed a fork brace on my 08 FJR recently. Getting the fork protectors up and off the bottom section of the fork was easy. I used a large, flat screwdriver after prying them up slightly with my fingers. If you are careful using the screwdriver you should not scratch the metal.

If you are careful, and a bit creative mechanically with plastic trimming, you can add the fork protectors back onto the front of the fork brace prior to install.

A tip = on spreading silicone glue and seal; use an ice cube to spread and smooth the silicone.

Let the glue dry thoroughly before installing the brace.

Check for clearances by dialing out the front preload, sitting on bike and loading the front .

Make sure the count the preload turns as you back them out. Makes getting the ride back to the way you like it.

2wheeldrift, glad you got them off. Here's how I used the old ones to get even better protection when installing my Superbrace. The brace came with its chrome protectors in our '04 group buy. I used blue threadlocker on all screws. I glued & screwed w/nut, the vertical piece of the old protector on the back of the new protectors before I mounted them to the brace. Then I mounted the brace to the forks. The back of the screw & nut clears the fork tube by about 1/4". Here's 2 pixs.

Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Superbrace1.jpg

Superbrace3.jpg

Make sure the count the preload turns as you back them out. Makes getting the ride back to the way you like it.
OK, I just gotta ask. Why would he be backing out the preload adjusters? The directions RH linked to don't mention it.

Mike

edit:Just re-read the whole thread and saw that khunajawdge recommended it to check clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Code:
2wheeldrift, glad you got them off. Here's how I used the old ones to get even better protection when installing my Superbrace. The brace came with its chrome protectors in our '04 group buy. I used blue threadlocker on all screws. I glued & screwed w/nut, the vertical piece of the old protector on the back of the new protectors before I mounted them to the brace. Then I mounted the brace to the forks. The back of the screw & nut clears the fork tube by about 1/4". Here's 2 pixs.Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Superbrace1.jpg

Superbrace3.jpg
I just glued [silastic] the modified original protectors to the brace. In hindsight, I should have done what you did. I know it's going to be a bitch when its time to remove the forks etc.