Frame Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizmo

Reaction score
I purchased Aluminum Frame Sliders (Extreme Shoguns supplied by supply-n-demand.com) about a week after I bought my 07-A. They are still not installed. Since I was so anxious to start farlking, I bought these before doing any research. Since then, I've read about the risk of frame damage these pose since they don't absorb any impact, but rather transfer it directly to the frame.

I'm now having second thoughts about installing these and getting the delrin ones instead. What's been your experience?

I had aluminum sliders on my bike and have since replaced them with Delrin ones that I found on Ebay for $28. Same reason as you've given.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also chose Delrin from OES ($49.00 I think???).

Besides, I thought the color matched my `08 better. Can't think of anyone that has a Black Cherry colored set of sliders though.

VP

What is the reason for the sliders? I would think if the bike went down nothing would save it from majior damage anyway. Is it to help in case you drop the bike? I dont understand the drop thing I have been ridding since age 5,now I'am 45 and I just got off a full dress Honda Valkyrie Interstate I rode it for 9 years and 48 k miles and I never droped the bike. Loaded it weighed in at around 900lbs. The FJR is so lite compared to that I feel like I'am ridding a dirtbike, almost. Not trying to be negative or a smart A#$ just trying to understand.

LDR1

Your interstate was heavy, but had a low center of gravity - FJR is 'lighter', but it is top heavy - put out your foot at a stop and have it slide out on the gravel (as I've done) and you'll find out why you put these little things on the bike.

The term 'slider' is a misnomer. It is a 'bike drop damage mitigator'.

You'll still score the alternator cover (left side) and your bags and the front edge of your mufflers and the ends of the bar ends and the mirror. but no more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks I have looked at them,and thought about getting a set just didnt know if it would be worth the trouble and if they really worked.

Ok thanks I have looked at them,and thought about getting a set just didnt know if it would be worth the trouble and if they really worked.
My bike got knocked over when it was parked, by a tour bus April of '07. The sliders saved the fairings from any dammage. I just dropped the bike last week on an off camber coming out of my driveway because my legs were to damn short. The sliders saved the fairings yet again. I've been riding for about 35 years, and for me, drops happen. Sliders won't stop all damage, but in a tipover it will help minimize the damage.

Thanks I'am going to check into getting some for my bike I'am 6'2" 35" inseam 225lbs I guess I dont think about not being able to touch the ground in some places, but I can see what your saying about the bike getting knocked over in the parking lot the side stand sucks on this bike, but that is the only bad thing I can say

Although a side effect of having sliders is some fairing protection with low/no speed drops, the primary function of a slider is supposed to be to protect your frame and other important parts while sliding down the road. Obviously some crashes are gonna total a bike no matter what, but some slower slides can twist a frame or cause parts to break. Sliders are most effective during those types of crashes. Could be the difference between replacing some plastic and replacing the bike. Go with Delrin. Aluminum, along with transfering energy has the tendency to bite into surfaces (instead of sliding) and cause the bike to tumble.

It goes like this: Rolling bike good. Sliding bike, not so good. Tumbling bike, BAD.