Frankenbike goes to the Darkside

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I strongly recommend you DO NOT do this. The stock part is a boxed aluminum piece made from a sheet, folded into the box. the 'seam' is not welded, it's just butted up to itself. As a box, the part is very strong. A box with a side cut out of it, is significantly weakened.
The steel bar is probably stronger than the stock aluminum part and not that difficult to make.

Chris D - Email Farklemasters and ask, they will sell you one. It's just not a listed part. Contact link
It looked more like an extrusion to me. I'll check again but I highly doubt you could put that kind of radius on this thickness without cracking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I strongly recommend you DO NOT do this. The stock part is a boxed aluminum piece made from a sheet, folded into the box. the 'seam' is not welded, it's just butted up to itself. As a box, the part is very strong. A box with a side cut out of it, is significantly weakened.
The steel bar is probably stronger than the stock aluminum part and not that difficult to make.

Chris D - Email Farklemasters and ask, they will sell you one. It's just not a listed part. Contact link
It looked more like an extrusion to me. I'll check again but I highly doubt you could put that kind of radius on this thickness without cracking.
I hate to counter what Eric says, he being the evil genius thoughtful contributor who began all this Darkside nonsense, but I'd have to agree with Demetri, at least as far as the arm I took off my '04. I, too, believe it was an extrusion, as (again on my piece) there was no butt joint seam. It was a solid piece, albeit hollow. I looked REAL close to make sure.

A seam would have been very obvious. There wasn't one.

Regardless, I've emailed Farklemasters for info on a replacement part. No sense testing fate, even though I'm confident in the integrity of my modified part.

So
teaser%5B1%5D.jpg
continues. :D

Damn, Mike is stalking me or something. . . . . . :unsure:

But he's right; I rode in Texas but not to Texas.

If I get a chance to ride to Mike's I'll color in MS and LA and the question won't come up any more, but since he's such a stalker, I dunno if I'm gonna!

BTW, VA is up there all by itself too, from borrowing his M109 during our visit in October.

I know the feeling.....I think he's pinch-hitting for Bustanut, who seems to be in a coma the last few days. :ph34r:

I know, I know....how could I tell he's in a coma compared to when he's not. :unknw:

I strongly recommend you DO NOT do this. The stock part is a boxed aluminum piece made from a sheet, folded into the box.
I stand corrected. I think you're right, it's probably an extrusion. After I scraped some dirt off and put my glasses on, (getting old sucks), I could tell that the 'seam' is just a groove and doesn't go all the way through. Thanks for pointing out my error.

I still favor the steel over modding the stock part, but we can each asses the risk Vs cost for ourselves. :friends:

just do this:

Thanks OC!

I can't believe I'm even considering this, so when you go over to the "Dark Side" do you start to physically change? I have observed that RH looks really different from most peeps. :unsure: :unsure: :)

just do this:

Thanks OC!

I can't believe I'm even considering this, so when you go over to the "Dark Side" do you start to physically change? I have observed that RH looks really different from most peeps. :unsure: :unsure: :)
Chris, don't mean to be critical, we're spending 12 days riding Mexico soon. But I think you meant "really strangely different"!

Regardless of the construction method used to form the square cross section, cutting one side from the section of it that has the interference will not make it any weaker than the link that Howie had cut in half, but it would allow you to still use both sides at the tab ends. So, it seems like it would be better than the Howie half strut (is than a new dance?)

Being a box section (or tube) mostly increases the lateral stiffness of the link greatly (ie its resistance to bending), but would only increases it's tensile strength (lengthwise) by the amount of the added material in the cross section. And I remain convinced that the weakest part of the link in that direction will be the ends where it is bolted to the caliper and bike frame.

In the case where Howie cut his link in half it would have roughly half of the strength lengthwise (in the reduced area), but retain only a small fraction of the lateral stiffness in the reduced dimension (probably a log function?).

However, since you are really only pulling on the link from the ends, you really aren't putting any bending force on it, so the lateral stiffness should be moot. It is a bit odd that the designers would have made that part as a tube in cross section to begin with... :unsure:

just do this:

Thanks OC!

Chris, don't mean to be critical, we're spending 12 days riding Mexico soon. But I think you meant "really strangely different"!
Sorry Don you're absolutely right, I hate it when I forget a word. :dribble:

I know the feeling.....I think he's pinch-hitting for Bustanut, who seems to be in a coma the last few days. :ph34r:

I know, I know....how could I tell he's in a coma compared to when he's not. :unknw:
Easy there fukpicle..I'm busy with last minute rush plaques an signs :unsure:

Guy's gotta try an make a living a few days a year.. :fuck:

Better watch it :blink: I appears as though I'm going to become a ward of the Granholm administration.

I figure they give me enough money, I might make a road trip to Florida.. :eek:

Yeah I'll volunteer to drive some old folks down..... and drop 'em off on your block :p

Hell, I might even pitch a tent outside yer window an lay awake cryin' the blues just to keep you awake :lol:

:jester:

Regardless of the construction method used to form the square cross section, cutting one side from the section of it that has the interference will not make it any weaker than the link that Howie had cut in half, but it would allow you to still use both sides at the tab ends. So, it seems like it would be better than the Howie half strut (is than a new dance?)
Being a box section (or tube) mostly increases the lateral stiffness of the link greatly (ie its resistance to bending), but would only increases it's tensile strength (lengthwise) by the amount of the added material in the cross section. And I remain convinced that the weakest part of the link in that direction will be the ends where it is bolted to the caliper and bike frame.

In the case where Howie cut his link in half it would have roughly half of the strength lengthwise (in the reduced area), but retain only a small fraction of the lateral stiffness in the reduced dimension (probably a log function?).

However, since you are really only pulling on the link from the ends, you really aren't putting any bending force on it, so the lateral stiffness should be moot. It is a bit odd that the designers would have made that part as a tube in cross section to begin with... :unsure:

What really bothers me about this is the fact that Howie is allowed to use power tools :dribble: Cripes! I wonder how many digits he has left :huh:

Easy there fukpicle..I'm busy with last minute rush plaques an signs :unsure:

Guy's gotta try an make a living a few days a year.. :fuck:

Better watch it :blink: I appears as though I'm going to become a ward of the Granholm administration.

I figure they give me enough money, I might make a road trip to Florida.. :eek:

Yeah I'll volunteer to drive some old folks down..... and drop 'em off on your block :p

Hell, I might even pitch a tent outside yer window an lay awake cryin' the blues just to keep you awake :lol:

Oh just great, another country heard from! RadioHowie's been spreading a solid rumor your nuts fell off due to sheep VD!

To try really, REALLY hard to get this bottom-feeding bastard of a thread back on topic, I got an email from Catfish at farklemasters.com this morning.

The stainless steel replacement torque is $30 and he has, in his words, "...a few ready to go."

Yes, you physically change!! You develop the muscles in your back a bit more. Well, that's about it. :unsure:

And the realm continues to grow. BWAAHAAHAHAHAHA! :devil:

May be talking out of my arse here, but I have read that there seems to be an issue with finding a narrower CT for the 5.5 rim and was wondering if anyone has looked at fitting another brand's rim to the fjr. I know that the new connie runs a 190 rear tire and would guess that it is on a 6 inch rim. Of course that bike is too new for anybody to have tinkered with the idea and I don't remember if someone had looked to see if BMW, Moto Guzi...ect had a rim that would fit the Feej. Let the dogpile begin.

I know most of the time cross branding certain parts is not done, but I have seen it on chain/belt drives before. This is only my second shaft bike and I've never tried to customize one before so I thought I would put it out there. Wasn't sure how different mounting a shaft drive rim between two companies could be. Thanks. :huh:

Latest posts