From First Farkel - To First Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAF

Reaction score
Well today was the day for me.

After owning the bike since last August I finally got to ride! OMG, but I will get to that.

So most of what I know about the FJR was reading this Forum and you might have seen this thread by me First Farkel

So since I got the bike I had this done to my neck in November and got my head screwed on
Screwed%20Neck.jpg

And this I had done in South Dakota after the get off
Screwed%20Wrist.jpg

But I got to do this today
first112.jpg

So what a day! All I can say is WOW what a bike!!!! I was not prepared for the power and speed available up to 4500-5000 RPM in any gear. 4500 in 5th gear got me all but an indicated 90 MPH. I wanted to try hard to keep it to a mild roar of 4500-5000 RPM and I stuck to my guns on that. While I am not a Moto Man break in endorser, I do feel the first 1-2 hundred and you are ready to ride it like your gonna. As long as you vary speed and keep going through the gears you are doing all that needs done in the beginning.

I need to soften my suspension just a bit, but only a bit and man does this thing handle. I had to take a bit of care new tires, crap tires at that, and a lot of run off from our big February melt. I get to run some valleys here in PA and there is some run off in some areas. Very neutral to me did not take much to lay it over and upright again. I probably was not real smooth but I got er done! I think I was to heavy on the counter steer at times. But man did I go through some corners at speed. I know these routes very well and can fly on them but this was insane. Best bike I have taken across these roads in 20 years. Must be the right tool for the job!

Couple of things I need to address and the first is the mirrors. They are not good at all and I will get Gen 1 FZ mirrors for my Gen II FJR pronto! Just as soon as I can track down part numbers and good pricing in a search. These are bad for sure and I should have done it as I went.

The Rifle +5 shield I am just not sure about. It will stall the motor a bit trying to go up, and man can the top of it get to buffeting!!! Not sure on it at all, down I look over it and it seems fine, but up and in truck traffic on interstate it really produced some buffeting and really moved around up top. A 100-200 mile Rifle shield may be up for sale pretty quickly.

I got a great deal on a used Corbin set and it was fine today. I and others have a love hate relationship with Corbin seats. This is the third for me. One I loved, One I absolutely hated, "butt" I sat this one 112 miles today and it felt fine to me so we shall see.

Highway pegs are great for a break but man when you come off the pegs and onto them, you break your clean air, while not an issue I was used to a little more coverage on my LT. Just an observation and no biggie and would not be bad if the damn bike did not want to run at 80 MPH or better all the time.

I did get an indicated 120 MPH but I can't say as I did not take the GPS. I did not want to fiddle with anything or be distracted at all so I could learn the bike's sounds and feel. It does seem to have just a nice metallic sound, nothing bad, but I could hear it working.

I have so much more to say and feel yet, but man what a bike is all I can say. I need to digest all I took in today. It was a lot since I have not ridden since July 17th, 2010.

Ohh and the run off was enough to get the bike dirty and this dirt I did not want sitting on the bike, road salt, cinder, and ash from our snow so I got to wash it off when I got home. Ran the hose into the house and used pretty warm water and toweled her off. 67 today 40 tomorrow so it needed done.

Here is what I picked up today and if it was summer no worries, but salt in PA is a fiend on metal.

1st-ride-dirt.jpg

1st-ride-dirt-front.jpg

What a great day this was!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Evidently, for Pennsylvania to experience a spring break, those of us in California must be plunged back into winter. :glare:

Glad to see you got the ride, and I assume no loose screws since you came back with your head.

Must have felt great to get back on a bike after so long and it does indeed look like you picked the right tool for the job. :thumbsupsmiley: Do be careful with that right wrist, though. I have found myself running 90-95 and not realizing it.

As far as indicated speed, over about 50 my speedo reads 5 mph high as confirmed with GPS.

I know , Quite the change from the LT ! I still have my 02 with just under 200K on the odo. Since I picked up the FJR the LT'S purpose is for 2 up.

Enjoy.. :)

Looks like they safety wired the screws. Careful buggers, aren't they? :lol:
Actually, 4 screws with rod guides, two rods, a piece of my hip bone, and then all that is wire mesh to hold it in place and give stuff a place to grow. Sorta like sinking a boat for a reef :)

I know , Quite the change from the LT ! I still have my 02 with just under 200K on the odo. Since I picked up the FJR the LT'S purpose is for 2 up.

Enjoy.. :)
Yes very different from the LT! I loved the LT but weight and top heavy sent me looking for something lighter after I realized how broke up I was.

I just love the FJR too. I am not sure what the GTL will be like but I will get an opportunity to ride one from friends in the BMW community. I think they have made the shape and body more to a FJR than it roots as a LT.

All I know is the FJR rocks and first rides on new bikes are really something special.

Must have felt great to get back on a bike after so long and it does indeed look like you picked the right tool for the job. :thumbsupsmiley: Do be careful with that right wrist, though. I have found myself running 90-95 and not realizing it.

As far as indicated speed, over about 50 my speedo reads 5 mph high as confirmed with GPS.
Thanks for the heads up on the right wrist :) Man she is fast. I have never owned a bike this fast or quick. Was never a sport rider always a cruiser. Man she motivates for sure. Thanks for letting me know the speedo is 5 mph optimistic.

Welcome to the fold... The FJR is an amazing bike. We love ours.
Thank you. I know I am in love after 112 miles. Of course she has been sitting on my lift for 7 months so I have lusted on a regular basis. It is amazing.

Evidently, for Pennsylvania to experience a spring break, those of us in California must be plunged back into winter. :glare:

Glad to see you got the ride, and I assume no loose screws since you came back with your head.
Ahh poor you out there on the left coast of year round riding. It must have dropped to 55 outside :) You better get some fire wood in. It is 40 with gusts up to 65 mph right now, what do you see when you look out your window?

Nope I did not loose any screws and came back with my head and my helmet.

Glad to see you got that well farkled bike out of the garage. We all know how she did. How about you? Seem like your injuries will allow for long rides?

Glad to see you got that well farkled bike out of the garage. We all know how she did. How about you? Seem like your injuries will allow for long rides?
I think I will be ok as long as I build up to longer rides. Of course strength training is a big part of this also. I hope to be able to sit my usual 500 mile days but we will see.

I know I do not like the Rifle +5 so have ordered a Cee Bailey. I guess a Rifle will go into the for sale section. It caused some buffeting I think will tear the windshield out, or so it seemed. Just not me. Too tall and wide for me. I have used Cee Bailey on every bike I have owned but since the Rifle was so well recommended I though I would try it first, wrong choice for me.

I wore my Nolan and no weight or fatigue issues holding it up. I could feel a bit of tenderness after the ride but nothing too awful.

Thank you for asking. How did your AddMore install go?

Lee

I think I will be ok as long as I build up to longer rides. Of course strength training is a big part of this also. I hope to be able to sit my usual 500 mile days but we will see.

I know I do not like the Rifle +5 so have ordered a Cee Bailey. I guess a Rifle will go into the for sale section. It caused some buffeting I think will tear the windshield out, or so it seemed. Just not me. Too tall and wide for me. I have used Cee Bailey on every bike I have owned but since the Rifle was so well recommended I though I would try it first, wrong choice for me.

I wore my Nolan and no weight or fatigue issues holding it up. I could feel a bit of tenderness after the ride but nothing too awful.

Lee
Good to hear. I had a Nolan that would give my neck a stinger if worn for a couple hours (bad C2-C5 disks). When I switched to the Shoei it disappeared. I'm overdue for some helmet hanging hardware myself (have avoided it 5-6 years).

The Admore was recently ordered then I received notice that was not in stock (I hate that). I was sent the "it will take 2 weeks" email. I did not care for the fact they made the assumption I was willing to let them sit on my money without product that long. To keep them honest, I had the money refunded. Anyway, I will order light kit/wire harness and add some 90 degree valve stems for my up coming tire change again soon.

How much seat time do you have on a stock FJR in order to appreciate the suspension upgrades?

Do you have any locals with aftermarket screens to try out? I have a Lrg CalSci that I have no complaints with. Then again, Coming off a VStrom, the stock screen on the FJR is a work of art!

Lee
Good to hear. I had a Nolan that would give my neck a stinger if worn for a couple hours (bad C2-C5 disks). When I switched to the Shoei it disappeared. I'm overdue for some helmet hanging hardware myself (have avoided it 5-6 years).

The Admore was recently ordered then I received notice that was not in stock (I hate that). I was sent the "it will take 2 weeks" email. I did not care for the fact they made the assumption I was willing to let them sit on my money without product that long. To keep them honest, I had the money refunded. Anyway, I will order light kit/wire harness and add some 90 degree valve stems for my up coming tire change again soon.

How much seat time do you have on a stock FJR in order to appreciate the suspension upgrades?

Do you have any locals with aftermarket screens to try out? I have a Lrg CalSci that I have no complaints with. Then again, Coming off a VStrom, the stock screen on the FJR is a work of art!
I was too impatient to wait on the wiring harness to tap the right side connector with no splice, and should have waited. I was always under the impression you could not charge a credit card until it is shipped?

No worries on the shields too much, I will be able to sell them to someone for a good price and not loose too much sleep over it. I don't need all of the Rifle as I am only 5'9" and ride mostly solo. It is nice down and I only need to raise it a few inches to have coverage so too much shield for me.

I rode a FJR probably 2 1/2 years ago. I had no idea what it was about or what was done to it but I knew I liked it. So I have no way to compare anything FJR Stock to what mine is like. I can say I was very concerned on setup for a first ride but Lee at Traxxion said to start at this. 3 spaces showing, 10 clicks out, 8 out on the forks. Nothing on the rear Penske and I have not touched it from them. It was sprung and set for my weight. As I said it was slightly harsh but I think if I go 12 clicks out on the top it will be fine. No jarring or clunks or anything like that. However as my skill with the bike increases it may be just right for harder running. I was very timid in corners with gravel/cinder/salt a possibility, runoff in some areas, and new crap tires kept me slow. However higher than 80 MPH was the norm of that 112 miles on strait a ways:)

I always replace factory shocks on bikes and cars that I intend to push. Stock is fine but after market shocks are so much better. I then have a almost new shock to put on when I send the aftermarket out for service when it needs it. I had also read the FJR front was sprung for a 175 pound rider and I am not going to see that weight again in this life. So the rear shock and fork springs for my weight 215 - 220 in full gear was a must for me and I think that is the key. A spring on the shock and in the forks for your weight, gives you a better and finer adjustment range because you are not compensating for the springs. It was less than 1050.00 with oil 10W, spring buffer, and shock sock, and if I go for the AK's he will take off what I paid for the springs :)

I had to compromise on some things due to money (no full boat AK's) but I am very pleased with how it rides to say the least. I guess you can tell? Guess I have to ride another FJR to see what it feels like?

Glad to see you are able to ride again, as I'm sure you are too! Hoping to take a ride to Pennsylvania this summer. Beautiful state!