Fuel Stop Follies

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thumbs up who ever forgot to put your ear plugs in and went to ride started swearing 1 mile into the ride and stopped couple miles down the lane to take off the gloves helmet retrieve buds from tight pockets and started all over again :D

Check, Double Check, OK,by the time I get to Triple Check I forgot what I was doing anyway.

Going with the "vocational byproduct"......that is probably WHY you noticed potential threats. A great many people would not have even been aware of their surroundings.

Thumbs up who ever forgot to put your ear plugs in and went to ride started swearing 1 mile into the ride and stopped couple miles down the lane to take off the gloves helmet retrieve buds from tight pockets and started all over again
biggrin.png
I plea guilty. More than once.
unsure.png

Back on topic, I stopped at a questionable station once in Delaware with my car and my family inside. The attendant, from behind his bullet proof window, suggested I not stay any longer than absolutely necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
correct me if i am wrong, wasnt there some sort of controversy in the past when GPS/ apps was starting to come up with option to avoid shady/dangerous area? Believe this was before phone/google maps etc took off.

I was gassing up just southeast of Louisville when my BP card kept getting declined, the cashier ran it for me and said it was because they were in a "high c/c fraud area" and she would have to run maybe 5 cards a shift because of it.

I was about 10 hours into an all day run when my Amex kept getting declined at a gas station. I thought I'd outrun the fraud software and was implausibly far from my start point or that the high number of low dollar transactions had raised a flag. Amex told me every swipe was approved, that something was wrong at the store. They monitored the account for 24 hours and sent me an email saying all looked good.

Well, I have a somewhat poorer-outcome "stop event", not a fuel stop, but similar.

I was leading a girl rider. She had lost her husband (cancer) the year before. They were both regular riders with a group of us, who did a Scotland tour once or twice a year, this was her first real outing since his funeral.

Anyway, we were doing an unofficial tour, meeting up in Wales before going to Ireland then Scotland. I agreed to meet her near our homes to lead her into Wales, basically to make sure she was ok getting to our real meeting point.

We met up ok, then hot-footed (she is a very competent rider
smile.png
) to Wales. We stopped at a view point to snap some pics, (I only took one) ...

(Click on image for larger view)

... then set off again, along a nice twisty road, albeit with drops, ditches, steep hills either side of the road. I was enjoying myself, and soon lost sight of her from my mirrors. After a while I slowed down then stopped to wait for her. A few minutes passed, I started to get worried (drops, ditches, steep hills either side of the road), decided to turn round. This was a narrow road, but I found a junction from a field. Unfortunately, I totally misjudged its slope, its gravel, and my bike control. The bike stopped unexpectedly (damned YCC-S computer and I weren't quite on the same wavelength, and I was worrying about my companion's absence). The bike tipped right over and slid down gravel, causing several thousand pounds worth of damage.

Got the bike righted with the help of a passing motorcyclist and a couple in a car who stopped, then rode back to the view point, to find her there. Apparently she'd put her specs on her saddle while she put her helmet on, rode out after me, then realised she wasn't wearing her specs; turned round (more competently than I did) to find them. We never did find them. So, she'd lost her glasses, I'd lost my insurance no-claims bonus.

At least she was carrying a spare pair of specs.

I once made it a 1/2 mile up the road then realized I left the bike back at the bar. Does that count? :whistle:

Years ago, I was riding my Honda 700s in the back country. I switched to reserve (manual fuel petcock) a while back and stopped at a known gas station for some much need petrol. As I reached into my pocket, a feeling of emptiness came upon me. I left my wallet at home. At least 40 miles from the house, there was no way I could make it. As I stood there for a minute to collect my thoughts, in a divine intervention, a truck pulls up at the same pump, opposite side. "Joey - is that you?", the driver asked. It was a dude I went to high school with. We hadn't seen each other for at least 15 years. After catching up on old and new times, I bummed $5 in gas from him and went home.

Since that day, I keep a $20 bill on my bike with my insurance papers at all times.

It just means life made you smart. I have a touch, maybe not even that, of OCD. When I set out on a long or multi day run, I have a compulsion to re-check my wallet to make sure I have necessary ID and the means to pay for gas to get home. I need to put a 20 or 50 under the seat.

It just means life made you smart. I have a touch, maybe not even that, of OCD. When I set out on a long or multi day run, I have a compulsion to re-check my wallet to make sure I have necessary ID and the means to pay for gas to get home. I need to put a 20 or 50 under the seat.
Don't do a 50. I've been turned away from boonsdocks located stations that wouldn't take it.