Fueling the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone12

Reaction score
When fueling my '08 I have to be careful to pay close attention not to get the fuel level above the bottom of the fuel port neck. With the way the holes are configured (one large and 3 small), if I get any higher than the bottom of the neck, gas is shot up through the smaller holes and litters the tank with gas spots. :angry2: When fueling, I keep the fuel nozzed about 1/2 into the tank neck, and I'm fueling at a normal rate. As it gets close to the bottom of the neck I go as slow as possible. The air/gas bubbles that are put into the tank as the fuel is going in, is forced out the small holes. I don't see a way around it. My previous ZZR would accept fuel 1/2 way up the neck with no splash-back or problems of any kind. And that was the difference of 30 to 40 miles between fillups.

After reading the posts of other members getting 250 miles on their FJR (I get about 200 before going to reserve) and putting 6.5 gal in the tank, I assume that at least some of us are getting more fuel into their tanks. Do I have a problem with a vent or something?

So my question is: Where does everyone get the fuel level to when you consider your tank full?

To the top of the fuel restrictor (when the bike is in the vertical position). There is an air bubble (for ultimate expansion, if for some reason you fill your tank and immediately turn off the engine and park in a hot location; this air bubble is for expansion, while the overflow tube will interceed if the volume goes beyond that point).

p.s. I'm one of those guys that can get 300 or close to 300 miles per tank if I'm on highway cruise at around 60 to 65 mph (I get about 50mpg).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the bottom of the filler neck is fine. I tend to only ride in about 2 - 2.5 hour increments anyway and then pull off for a drink of water, a stretch, and to refuel. Helps me and the girl on the back to pause from riding every now and then.

FWIW, I do the same thing in a car. pull off every 200 miles MAX just to stretch out and move around.

Alexi

I fuel up while sitting on the bike (so the bike is vertical and level with the ground), once the fuel level comes up a little over the bottom of the neck I release the pump lever/trigger and gently shake the bike left to right, that will let the fuel settle enabling me to repeat the process a few times.

I fuel up while sitting on the bike (so the bike is vertical and level with the ground), once the fuel level comes up a little over the bottom of the neck I release the pump lever/trigger and gently shake the bike left to right, that will let the fuel settle enabling me to repeat the process a few times.
That's a technique I'll try. It may help to give me a little more room between the fuel level and the botton of the filler neck.

With mine, the tank seems to be able to take more fuel, but when I pull the trigger to start dispensing fuel, the fuel goes into the tank and the small holes start to vent forcing fuel bubbles back out. (Like blowing bubbles into a glass of water.)

I keep pouring it in until flows out the overflow like a fire hose! Then I light a match under it and speed off down the street. It's real cool, looks like I have on the afterburners.... :dribble:

I definitely have favorite gas stations where it is easier to control the fuel rate out of the hose. If the fuel is coming out too fast then I get gas splashing out. I always keep a rag on hand.

I ram the nozzle right down through the neck then fill it till it shuts off. I then pull the nozzle out and spray fuel all over the tank.

Wait.. er.. what were we talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
All the way to the tippy top. I fill up the neck a little then it drains down.
I do the exact same thing, always making sure my bike is on its centerstand. I will fill the neck 3-4 times before I shut off the pump and drain the hose. Where the Hell is the fuel in the neck draining to? I hope its not going into an overflow and draining to the ground while I am riding my bike. The fuel always drains to the stop at the bottom of the neck.

Try filling it slower, don't pull the trigger all the way on the fuel nozzle. I put the fuel nozzle in just a bit past the restrictor plate, then latch the trigger on the slowest speed. It fills up pretty much to the restrictor plate. Then top it off a little if you're going to go park it, or a lot if you are going riding.

Vertical and just to the top of the restrictor plate... I then let it sit for a minute and see if it drains back down, if it does I keep topping till it stays for more then 10 seconds :) (Yes I'm anal, deal with it! LOL )

When fueling my '08 I have to be careful to pay close attention not to get the fuel level above the bottom of the fuel port neck. With the way the holes are configured (one large and 3 small), if I get any higher than the bottom of the neck, gas is shot up through the smaller holes and litters the tank with gas spots. :angry2: When fueling, I keep the fuel nozzed about 1/2 into the tank neck, and I'm fueling at a normal rate. As it gets close to the bottom of the neck I go as slow as possible. The air/gas bubbles that are put into the tank as the fuel is going in, is forced out the small holes. I don't see a way around it. My previous ZZR would accept fuel 1/2 way up the neck with no splash-back or problems of any kind. And that was the difference of 30 to 40 miles between fillups.
After reading the posts of other members getting 250 miles on their FJR (I get about 200 before going to reserve) and putting 6.5 gal in the tank, I assume that at least some of us are getting more fuel into their tanks. Do I have a problem with a vent or something?

So my question is: Where does everyone get the fuel level to when you consider your tank full?
Well,if your 08 is anything like mine, part of what you are experiencing is the gauge bar flashing and the F odometer starting long before you get to the 1.4 gal that the manual states. Mine seems to kick on with about 2 gal left in the tank. I always fill to the bottom of the restrictor plate. No sloshing around and waiting 10 seconds or anything,either. Stick the nozzle in,put the lock on,pump shuts off,top it up and away I go.

Mike

I just do mine on the side stand,it's plenty of fuel for most any ride that I do and never over flows in the hot sun.

I do it on the side stand. Early on I filled it that way then put it up on the centerstand and the level stayed at the bottom of the restrictor plate, so I saw no need for upright. I face the pump so the low side of the bike it toward it and I fill from the pump side. I find the first position of the holding prowl on most pumps to deliver too much flow to avoid some splashing out on to the tank, so I prop my gloved hand toward the back end of the trigger and hold it open just a tad so that it takes about 20 seconds per gallon. I put the nozzle just barely in the restrictor and wedge it sideways so it has a friction hold. I pretty much know how much gas I'm going to get in there so when I get close to the top I pull the nozzle up keeping the flow going through the large hole while steadying the nozzle against the side of the upper fill hole. When I see the gas slightly over the bottom of the restrictor I shut off the flow, tap the nozzle against the side of the fill hole to get the last drops out of it, and then slowly pull it out while swinging it up so the nozzle contains any drops still in there. While this sounds like a lot of work I've found that getting spilled gas out of the fabric of my tankbag is a hell of a lot more work. The tankbag is positioned off the high side of the tank and away from the pump so if there is a small spill it will go down the low side avoiding the bag.

I never realized how much of a science I'd made of this till now.

It looks like I'm going to make about 17K miles in my first year of FJR'ing, 90% commuting, I love this bike!