Full page FJR ad in Rider

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Hey guys. Got my latest volume of RIDER magazine the other day. Sat on the can this morning to alleviate the pressure from last night's escargot and shortrib dinner, and lo and behold! A full spread ad of the '08 feej. A beautiful photo, I might mention.

Anyhoo, I do not remember ever seeing an ad like this from Yami (for the FJR). To me, this kind of proves several things:

1. The ST market is starting to become a significant player in the overall space.

2. The feej is profitable enough to increase exposure through commercial advertising.

3. Yami is not willing to let Kawi or other ST mfgs take any more limelight.

4. Dealer's may be looking for some air cover to alleviate stalled inventory of remaining '07s. Killing the PDP will do that!

Either way, I am loving it!

Discuss as you wish.

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
.... Sat on the can this morning to alleviate the pressure from last night's escargot and shortrib dinner, and lo and behold! A full spread Discuss as you wish.....
This just too much information, and wayyy too visual! :dribble:

I would say the ad is in response to positive press about the Kawasaki (which was not backed up with sales) and further marketing the new Raven paint. As the Black Cherry was rather polarizing and the Raven has had good early season retail. The ST really doesn't have much to do with it.

Sat on the can this morning to alleviate the pressure from last night's escargot and shortrib dinner
pichers1.jpg

My first impression, on seeing the new ad, was that Yamaha had finally realized there is a true N. American market for something other than cruisers.

Second impression, nice picture too ! I got strangely aroused viewing it!

And hoping I am not the only one that did not know this, but the 08 has the "1300" logo under the front turn signals on the front fairing.

Guess as I have not yet seen one in person, the photos I have seen before it was hidden or mistaken for a reflection.

The one in the ad is unmistakingly visable. Too bad the first photo ad they have for the bike it is black....

KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...I finally got my Rider mag, and I gotta say I wasn't impressed with the ad. Just a black bike parked on a dark background. Why not an action shot, or even a pic like 2007 with with the two riders in the Yammi jackets. That ad would really not inspire me to go buy a new FJR. I also don't get why all these ST's are one color per year. I think that started in the late 80's with the Honda Pacific Coast (anyone remember that one?). What if I would like a new FJR but black is not my color? I gotta wait till 2009 for some drunk Japanese guy to decide its gonna be gold with pink flake. I guess they could work harder to sell these bikes, but then we wouldn't be SO special. B)

I finally got my Rider mag, and I gotta say I wasn't impressed with the ad. Just a black bike parked on a dark background.
Concur. Kinda bland in many ways. Still, a 2-page ad for the FJR1300 (on pages 20-21) is pretty cool.

Now thumb down to page 32. Another full, 2-page ad..... for the 2008 Hayabusa K8!
bling_cool.gif

That's 2 of my 3 bikes that have full, 2-page ads in this month's issue of Rider... I oughta buy this issue.

Mammy ought to send a photographer out to NAFO to get some fodder for future ads. All the FJR owners waving hi (well, most of them, a few folks probably waving something else), some action shots from the days tours, some quotes from us happy owners, and of course the obligatory picture of the person that rode the furtherest to be there (probably Gypsy...). You know, a bike for people that ride & enjoy riding. Gotta be better than those ads from folks used to making the phoney testosterone ads for cruisers.

On a side note, I saw an ad in today's Philly Inquirer for an '00 FLt something or other Harley, guy had only put 700 miles on it in 7 years...

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how many FJRs Yamaha sells in the US per year? I don't imagine it to be a big number; a couple hundred maybe..? (The sales manager of our largest dealer here told me that they only sell around 7 or 8 per year tops, and he wasn't optimistic that they'd do even that many this year.)

I would say it would be more like 1500, but thats just a guess. If every dealership sold just 1 per year they would sell 1500.

Warchild would have a better estimate I'm sure

Glenn

I would say it would be more like 1500, but thats just a guess. If every dealership sold just 1 per year they would sell 1500.
I'd be surprised if annual FJR sales are a 1/3 of that number; A and AE bikes combined. There's no doubt that the sport touring segment of the motorcycling/power sports industry is growing, but it's still a niche market at best (and dominated by BMW is my understanding, with Honda running a not too distant second). If domestic FJR sales were in fact greater than, say, even 1000 bikes/year, I think Yamaha would be putting a lot more marketing effort behind the bike than an ad in Rider magazine.