FZ1 mirrors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmjf86

Reaction score
I have seen mention of shorter bushings being available from Skyway in the past which would allow the FZ1 mirrors to fit gen II FJRs withouth leaving a small gap. I know that the stock bushings can be ground down to make them shorter I'd like to avoid doing that if I can . Since Skyway has gone silent and deep, does anyone know where the shorter bushings might be obtained or the tecnical info I would need to shop around for them? Thanks, Mike

I have seen mention of shorter bushings being available from Skyway in the past which would allow the FZ1 mirrors to fit gen II FJRs withouth leaving a small gap. I know that the stock bushings can be ground down to make them shorter I'd like to avoid doing that if I can . Since Skyway has gone silent and deep, does anyone know where the shorter bushings might be obtained or the tecnical info I would need to shop around for them? Thanks, Mike
I don't mind the slight gap on my 07 with the FZ1 mirrors installed. But there's an easy fix if I was bothered by that gap:

Bench-Grinder-300x199.jpg

How about the overall width of the mirrors? Overall bike width, and the fragility of the outermost bike parts is important to me.

I leave my side cases off for months at a time, using them only when I need to carry more than will fit in the Top Case, or when I need to cool beer. That way, the outermost parts on my bike are the stock mufflers. When I put the bike away for the night, I back it through a sliding glass patio door with just a couple inches to spare. When I make my weekly run to Seattle, I park the bike in a semi-legal spot under the viaduct, crowded by other bikes. Whenever I squeeze between obstacles, the first thing hit is a heavy hunk of stainless. I like that little dings on the pipes are down near the ground and covered with road grime. Dings on the mirrors would be up where I'd see them.

The FZ1 mirrors look wider, they look like they don't have the stock mirrors' foldaway feature, and they look a little bit fragile. How tough are they?

I don't mind the slight gap on my 07 with the FZ1 mirrors installed. But there's an easy fix if I was bothered by that gap:

Bench-Grinder-300x199.jpg
I was well aware of that fix as my original post indicated. However, if I choose to sell the bike and remove some of the farkles like the FZ1 mirrors for separate sale and need to put my original mirrors back on I'd end up having to buy replacement OEM bushings anyway. So, I thought, if I can buy appropriate shorter bushings up front, save myself the time/effort (not too mention the risk of f*cking up the OEM bushings in such a way that they aren't usable - yeah, that has happened w/ some of my "projects" before), why not? Mike

I think you can find something at your friendly big box home center, or a neighborhood hardware shop. Look for "spacers", usually in steel and nylon. At least with those you won't mind grinding them to length. Just keep the OE spacers safe in case you want to swap back.

Another thought (wow! Two in one day!) If you shorten the OE spacers and want to return to the original mirrors someday, a couple of flat washers should make up the shortfall.

Mirrors are on my winter to-do list, so I'll report back if anything crops up.

pete

I have been using the FZ1 mirrors on two different fjrs for six years and love them. They do have the fold away feature of the stock mirrors which is a plus. I ground down the little bump with a dremel tool that was keeping them from mounting flush. You have to do it with a little caution though. I guess I'm too anal about stuff like that. :p

GP

I have been using the FZ1 mirrors on two different fjrs for six years and love them. They do have the fold away feature of the stock mirrors which is a plus. I ground down the little bump with a dremel tool that was keeping them from mounting flush. You have to do it with a little caution though. I guess I'm too anal about stuff like that. :p

GP
Thanks for the info about the fold away feature. What about total width? How wide is the bike out-to-out at the mirrors, with the FZ1s?

Thanks again,

GP
Thanks for the info about the fold away feature. What about total width? How wide is the bike out-to-out at the mirrors, with the FZ1s?

Thanks again,
I'm not sure what the exact width is, but they are obviously wider than the stockers. I was fine with stockers with just me on the bike because I can tuck my elbows in when I need to see behind me, but that trick won't work when the wife is onboard. If you want to see what they look like installed on a 07, send me a PM and we can meet somewhere (I live between Orting and Sumner off Hwy 162).

I installed the FZ1 mirrors on my 07. To fill the void I went to the local rubber supply shop and got some scrap neoprene 1/8 thick material. traced out the outline of the mirror base and cut it out with heavy duty shears. It looks great and the cost was O. If you have not remedied the viod, send me a note and I will send you a piece of material to make your own. Art

The FZ1 mirrors look wider, they look like they don't have the stock mirrors' foldaway feature, and they look a little bit fragile. How tough are they?
they fold just fine...I have a CalSci medium shield, and when parking Isabella in my single car garage, I want to be right up against the wall and have a wide aisle.

so, I put the shield all the way up and fold the mirrors which fit right inside the shield.

and they are tough...I've stopped to low speed dropped the bike 5 times...last time it fell into a hedge and was wedged like a hedgegrow from Normandy.

pulling the bike out and righting it broke one of the supports at the bottom of the shield (aluminum arm) and cracked the plastic with a long line

the mirror didn't fold, but was just fine, and still fine when I pulled the panels and examined everything on the inside...reason was to check my battery terminals for tightness (dang, was loose)