Garage Door Opener

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the same thing when I first got my bike, only I mounted the switch inside the glove box to keep it out of the weather and so nobody could open my garage door if I ever left the bike in the driveway overnight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the glove box door thing too. On the approach to my house, there's a stop sign, then about 40 yards down the street, a gutter crosses the road, forcing a slow-down. I power away from the stop, pop into N, release glove box door, coast through the dip, then hit 2nd gear. Two left turns, then time to open the door. It's all good!

DSC01367.jpg

I Like the idea of attaching it to the roof of the compartment of the glove box.

Unfortunately, the '08 C14 doesn't come with a lockable glove box so I am going to have to explore the remote button method. I tried putting together a business case for the wifey on why I needed to upgrade to the 2010+ C14 now that it has this lockable glove box but it didn't sway her......yet!

I did the same thing when I first got my bike, only I mounted the switch inside the glove box to keep it out of the weather and so nobody could open my garage door if I ever left the bike in the driveway overnight.
You leave your bike out at night!! How could you :glare:

1323661593[/url]' post='920355']I did the glove box door thing too. On the approach to my house, there's a stop sign, then about 40 yards down the street, a gutter crosses the road, forcing a slow-down. I power away from the stop, pop into N, release glove box door, coast through the dip, then hit 2nd gear. Two left turns, then time to open the door. It's all good!

DSC01367.jpg
Hmm. Let's see. Box of spare earplugs, sidestand foot spreader, pen, spare fuses, tyre pressure gauge, ... You get the idea.

My garage door would be up and down like a whore's drawers whenever I was within 50 yards of it.

1323661593[/url]' post='920355']I did the glove box door thing too. On the approach to my house, there's a stop sign, then about 40 yards down the street, a gutter crosses the road, forcing a slow-down. I power away from the stop, pop into N, release glove box door, coast through the dip, then hit 2nd gear. Two left turns, then time to open the door. It's all good!

DSC01367.jpg
Hmm. Let's see. Box of spare earplugs, sidestand foot spreader, pen, spare fuses, tyre pressure gauge, ... You get the idea.

My garage door would be up and down like a whore's drawers whenever I was within 50 yards of it.
You've got way too much crap in that box MC, :unsure: I did this and it works Great!! Just Sayin' :D

You leave your bike out at night!! How could you :glare:

I know, but it was only once. It was terribly traumatic for me and the bike. I'll never do it again. :)

I tried mounting the whole remote to the underside of the lid, but that was before I got my tankbag and used to put my wallet in there. With all the other crap in that box, the wallet would push the button on the remote, so I wired up a little switch like the OP and remotely located the rest of the opener.

I Like the idea of attaching it to the roof of the compartment of the glove box.

Unfortunately, the '08 C14 doesn't come with a lockable glove box so I am going to have to explore the remote button method. I tried putting together a business case for the wifey on why I needed to upgrade to the 2010+ C14 now that it has this lockable glove box but it didn't sway her......yet!
You really need to ck. out flash to pass. uses bikes high beam for power so no batts. to change. I have had mine for 2 years, no problems. Just hit high beam twice to open or close the door

I just velcroed my door opener to the inside of the glove box. when I get about two houses from mine I pop the lid, hit the opener and the door is open when I get there.

Don

I velcroed a keychain garage door opener to the underside of my "glove-compartment" door. So as I ride up to the garage, I pop it open and the opener swings up with the glove compartment door.

Easy-peasy.
Thats such a simple and great idea. Ive got a keychain opener too I think I'll do this tonite when I get home.

(stupid question incoming) the glovebox is waterproof, aye? Ive only used it so far to store my tire pressure guage :p

I assume most AE owners have installed something to permanently enable the hand shift, making the on/off button on the left hand grip obsolete. Has anyone considered using that button (with or without the accompanying LED) to actuate a garage door opener?

I assume most AE owners have installed something to permanently enable the hand shift, making the on/off button on the left hand grip obsolete. Has anyone considered using that button (with or without the accompanying LED) to actuate a garage door opener?
Seems like Ive read threads about that somewhere. Dunno if it worked or not. But its a good idea too. I guess it would be similar to building a waterproof button and mounting it to the fairing. But I dunno...Im not an electrical kinda guy.