Garmin announced New Zumo's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kebo123

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Garmin announced new Zumo's yesterday. Main change (according to description) are two additional functions:

• Garmin Adventurous Routing™ finds curvy or hilly roads; limits major highways
  • Rider alerts for sharp curves, state helmet laws, speed cameras and more
  • Display & play Text messages
More info here:

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20160216005405/en/Garmin%C2%AE-Thrills-z%C5%ABmo%C2%AE-Motorcycle-Navigators

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2016/02/16/products/garmin-zumo/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-595lm/prod536397.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/on-the-road/motorcycles/zumo-395lm/prod536248.html

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dcarver" data-cid="1289357" data-time="1455726967"><p>

The 595LM looks nice - but for 900 USD? Ouch.</p></blockquote>

Wow! Maybe I could swing a discontinued model years down the road.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="El Toro Joe" data-cid="1289368" data-time="1455729284"><p>

Google maps is free...</p></blockquote>

And pretty useless on the move is spite of the $600 device

I'm using it on.

I enjoy having a GPS, and don't feel disadvantaged at all to be a generation behind (and many dollars saved) on the hardware.

But that one looks right nice.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="El Toro Joe" data-cid="1289368" data-time="1455729284"><p>Google maps is free...</p></blockquote>

And pretty useless on the move is spite of the $600 device

I'm using it on.
How so....? Please expand....

I have both a 550 and Google Maps on my phone, I almost exclusively route and re-route via phone, for ease of use and honestly better performance personally. I rarely get into areas with no service myself. Guess YMMV...

I'm running a $99 Nuvi 1490LMT. It supports routes. It serves me well. Not waterproof, but I try not to ride in the rain. If I had to, a plastic baggie and elastic band would waterproof it. I just can't see spending hundreds on a GPS,

My 590 was 30k but the spyder attached to it was free.
rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif

In the compare section, I don't see the curvy road option of the 390LM but it looks like the 395 has the following over my 390LM

• Garmin Adventurous Routing™: yes (Seems similar to my curvy road option)
  • Rider Alerts: yes (possible deer crossing ahead)
    smile.png
  • Helmet Law My wife enforces this law should I loose common sense
Nothing new for me
punk.gif
but I am curious to know the difference between Curvy roads and Garmin Adventurous Routing?

Curvy roads option is cool and all, but here in Texas that option includes "county roads". Even though I have a config to avoid unpaved roads, these "county roads" are considered paved, but they ain't, not by a long shot.

So the curvy road option is about useless around here, unless you like riding gravel or worse, dirt roads.

Just the price of living in the sticks. Beats fighting DFW traffic, lol

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dcarver" data-cid="1289357" data-time="1455726967"><p>The 595LM looks nice - but for 900 USD? Ouch.</p></blockquote>

Yabbut, the price of the 590 just dropped $100.........

In the adventurous, I don't see the curvy road option of the 390LM but it looks like the 395 has the following over my 390LM
  • Garmin Adventurous Routing™: yes (Seems similar to my curvy road option)
  • Rider Alerts: yes (possible deer crossing ahead)
    smile.png
  • Helmet Law My wife enforces this law should I loose common sense
Nothing new for me
punk.gif
but I am curious to know the difference between Curvy roads and Garmin Adventurous Routing?
Garmin Adventurous Routing is when you follow me.
uhoh.gif

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="dcarver" data-cid="1289357" data-time="1455726967"><p>The 595LM looks nice - but for 900 USD? Ouch.</p></blockquote>

The 590 is a great unit, and now it is priced like it was when first released. They increased the price in November 2014 after the unit had been out for 5 months. I got mine under the original price -20% discount from Garmin.

I don't see much in the GPS that is "must have" over the 590. People here are not too concerned with helmet law issues over state lines, and the warnings are kind of a nuisance like the school zones are now. I mean, you don't see that big sign warning of a curve ahead with the truck tipping warning? It will be interesting to see how adventurous routing differs from curvy roads. Methinks it's marketing only.

The 590 is a great unit, and now it is priced like it was when first released. They increased the price in November 2014 after the unit had been out for 5 months. I got mine under the original price -20% discount from Garmin.

I don't see much in the GPS that is "must have" over the 590. People here are not too concerned with helmet law issues over state lines, and the warnings are kind of a nuisance like the school zones are now. I mean, you don't see that big sign warning of a curve ahead with the truck tipping warning? It will be interesting to see how adventurous routing differs from curvy roads. Methinks it's marketing only.
Good points. And I'm a dinosaur. I like XM radio, not so much Pandora or Spotify. Now what to do with Naomi?

Good points. And I'm a dinosaur. I like XM radio, not so much Pandora or Spotify. Now what to do with Naomi?
Well if you like XM and are a dinosaur, the announcement of the 595 clears the deck for the 665 to be discontinued and clearanced at fire-sale prices like the 660.

Garmin sure is proud of their GPS.

My 660 still suits me just fine. If that $900 GPS included weather radar, I might consider it.