Garmin Quest questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRSANDIEGO

Reaction score
I am new to GPS, and I can get the Quest for around $355 new. Anyone using it....

mounting options/recommendations...any other info?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

My buddy uses a quest and it is ok. But the quest 2 is better. The original quest does not have much memory so long trips can be a problem.

I have a Quest I, as do most of my riding buddies. I love it, but as was pointed out, you can't do a cross country on one mapset. It also has limited tracklog memory.

The Quest II is a nice bet. The big complaint with it was that Garmin was not supplying any software since it's all pre loaded. But this means that it was not really possible to do PC route planning. But I heard thru the grapevine (not substantiated) that they are now sending Quest II owners a full copy of CitySelect7 for PC use. Sweet.

IMO, you absolutely must have a powered cradle. THe thing is damn near unreadable during the day unless the sun is in a very narrow range of positions.

BTW, I paid $344 delivered from www.buydig.com back in August. I don't see it on their site now, but for comparison, the Quest II is $527.49 delivered.

I got the original Quest for X-mas, but promptly returned it to Costco in order to get the Quest 2. I think the Quest 2, with all the US already preloaded, is a big asset, and saves you the trouble of having to load different maps. I have a 50CC/Cross country trip in the works in a couple of months so having the whole country preloaded down to street level was a big plus.

I agree you need the powered cradle, I got mine from www.gpscity.com, and it installed easily.

Thanks for the input so far....

Is the "powered cradle" the same as the Garmin Motorcycle Mounting Kit? Also, how does the audio work on the Motorcycle Kit? Finally, is the 276C worth $200 more in your opinions?

Thanks,

Mark

Thanks for the input so far....Is the "powered cradle" the same as the Garmin Motorcycle Mounting Kit? Also, how does the audio work on the Motorcycle Kit?
1. Garmin mounting kit includes power cable (-06 has power outlet in the small box on left side)

2. the same mounting kit also has headphones connection

My conserns are (oh yes, I do have Guest):

1. Where to install Guest in my -06 FJR and how?

2. How to place headphones to my Schuberth S1 (it is very tight)?

I've used Guest in my car for 6 mths now, and it has been really reliable and easy to use. Guest II is even better, because it is "ready to use" from package and bigger memory...

A plug first, if you don't mind. I don't know how people are overlooking it, but, one of our forum members is in the GPS business and offers units at dealer cost. https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=268

There is an occasion where some online places might, somehow, be a few (and I mean FEW) dollars less, but, something you have to be mindful of...if they aren't an authorized dealer, you might have an issue when it comes to warranties.

That being said, I just picked up a Quest 2 from James. After looking at the options, no way would I consider a regular Quest based on my needs. I just installed it on Saturday and haven't had a chance to take it on a ride yet. I did, however, use it for a trip in the car. It's not as intuitive as the full function navigation system I have in my car, but, it's a helluva lot better than trying to look at a map to figure out where you are.

I got the Techmount stem stand. I got the 10998M - the 'M' depicts the shorter stalk - and an accessory plate. This stem stand replaces the center nut on the top triple clamp. I also purchased the Garmin Motorcycle Mount Kit from James and attached it to the accessory plate. The accessory plate provides a rubber mounting - maybe not that big of a deal, but, I think it was less than $20 for the accessory plate.

I'll take pics tonight and post them.

Last edited by a moderator:
p2160010.jpg

p2160012.jpg

Thanks for the input so far....Is the "powered cradle" the same as the Garmin Motorcycle Mounting Kit? Also, how does the audio work on the Motorcycle Kit? Finally, is the 276C worth $200 more in your opinions?

Thanks,

Mark
The 276C has a much larger screen the the tiny screen on the QuestII

The Quest2 screen is easily readible from the riders seat. I agree the screen on the 276C is much bigger and the 276C has more functionality.

The Quest2 can easily be poppled of and stored in an accessory carrying case in the dash glove box.

Thanks Randy, that looks good, exactly what I was looking for.

I have the same Garmin Mount Kit, all I hope now is, that I can find Techmount stand somewhere here in Nordic and that it will be suitable even for -06 FJR.

2006_FJR1300A_Detail_08_tcm48-87005.jpg

Another stupid question;

There is power outlet in the glove box, but when using that for Garmin, I don't think that glove box lid should be left open? What were those guys thinking at Yamaha? Or is it supposed to be used only for charging your mobile phone during a ride (lid closed)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Another stupid question;
There is power outlet in the glove box, but when using that for Garmin, I don't think that glove box lid should be left open? What were those guys thinking at Yamaha? Or is it supposed to be used only for charging your mobile phone during a ride (lid closed)?
If you have the Garmin Motorcycle mount kit (powered cradle), then you know that you have a negative and positive lead...not plug-in type power. You could probably tap your power off of the leads that go to the outlet or run it off of a power distribution block or off of the battery (would probably want a relay so it isn't always powered).

Another stupid question;
If you have the Garmin Motorcycle mount kit (powered cradle), then you know that you have a negative and positive lead...not plug-in type power. You could probably tap your power off of the leads that go to the outlet or run it off of a power distribution block or off of the battery (would probably want a relay so it isn't always powered).
I sent my Quest mount & wiring to Powerlet and had them made me a coiled cord with BMW-style (Powerlet) male end.

Hi all, well I started this thread, but finished the install via emails to etz.

I ended up using the ball ram mount ( around $35 @ gps city)to the extra left side mirror hole

- used the car adaptor (cig lighter) to the ram mount via a torx screw driver ($3.50)

- got a two prong cig female powerlet cord ($25) that I can also use for radar etc.

Works great and close enough to see. the unit does vibrate a bit on rough roads though....

Mark