Garmin Zumo 550 Troubles *help!*

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED

Reaction score
I installed the mapping software onto my laptop and mapped out a test route. I went to upload the info into the unit and the software will not reconize the gps unit. I once read there is a simple fix to this. Does anyone know off the top of their head what it is??

When I tried updating the mapping software, its telling me something about an illegal operation blah blah blah and it closes out.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote name='RED' date='Mar 20 2007, 08:48 PM' post='219369']

I installed the mapping software onto my laptop and mapped out a test route. I went to upload the info into the unit and the software will not reconize the gps unit. I once read there is a simple fix to this. Does anyone know off the top of their head what it is??

When I tried updating the mapping software, its telling me something about an illegal operation blah blah blah and it closes out.

Here is a forum devoted to the Zumo 550. I bet someone could help you here:

https://razorbiker.com/zumo/

If you are on a laptop and running the GPS off of an extermal USB hub, it may fail. If you are in fact plugged into a USB port on the laptop, make sure it is a port on the SIDE of the laptop, not in the BACK of the laptop. If this does not help, don't forget to click on FIND DEVICE when in the SEND TO DEVICE dialog box. Hope this helps.

Did you upload the drivers from the CD that came with it? Also, is the Zumo powered on when you have it hooked up to the PC?

from prior posting:

Will not work because you are using an old version of Mapsource (I had same problem).

Go to www.garmin.com

select "support"

select "updates & downloads"

select "mapping programs"

select "mapsource"

this will upgrade you to version 6.12.2 which will allow it to send stuff to the Zumo.

(note you're not upgrading City Navigator NT, but the software on you computer that runs the DVD map).

good luck

from prior posting:
Will not work because you are using an old version of Mapsource (I had same problem).

Go to www.garmin.com

select "support"

select "mapsource"

this will upgrade you to version 6.12.2 which will allow it to send stuff to the Zumo.

(note you're not upgrading City Navigator NT, but the software on you computer that runs the DVD map).

good luck
It works fine now, thanks!

from prior posting:

Go to www.garmin.com

select "support"

select "mapsource"

good luck
It works fine now, thanks!

Worked for me too, Thanks

Steve