Garmin Zumo 660 Shipping Fiasco

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Farlow

Reaction score
While I can appreciate that Garmin's customer service employees are human and therefore make mistakes, wow... I just don't know what to think at this point.

I placed my order for the Zumo 660 last Sunday (May 03), and called on Monday to confirm that everything went through properly. I spoke with a very helpful CSR who told me that my 660 was going to ship on Friday, May 08. He then upgraded my shipping from DHL to UPS to ensure reliable service. I asked him how reliable the shipping date was, and he told me that it will be on its way to me on Friday, guaranteed. I thanked him and hung the phone up, happy, expecting my 660 this week.

Friday came and went, and I received no shipping notice. I also noticed that the charge against my debit card, which showed up on Monday, May 04, had disappeared from my online statement. Hm... turns out that was an authorization, not an actual charge (which is why it disappeared when Garmin didn't actually process the charge).

So, I called this morning (May 11), and spoke with a less than stellar CSR who stumbled her way through her introduction and asking me for my order information. She then told me that my Zumo 660 would be shipped tomorrow. What? What happened, I asked? She told me that the 660 was released for shipping on Thursday, May 07, and would be shipped tomorrow. I asked her why it didn't go out Friday, and she stated that she didn't know. I asked why it wasn't going to go out today, and she again stated she didn't know. I thanked her and hung up, less than enthusiastic.

I decided to call back to see if I could get any answers. I spoke with my third CSR, and she told me that my Zumo 660 would be shipped on the 15th. Okay... what the heck is going on? I explained to her my first guaranteed ship date was the 8th, then 5 minutes before I called her, my second ship date was the 12th, and now my ship date is the 15th? She transferred me to employee discounts. Huh?

Turns out, AMA discounts are treated as employee discounts. Interesting, but that doesn't help. Nevertheless, the fourth CSR told me that she has no idea why anyone told me the dates they did, with the exception of the 15th. She said that is when the system believes my order will ship, but that there was absolutely no way to know for sure. She informed me that the last order that should have shipped (including my 660) was cancelled due to software issues with the 660.

I asked her if my unit would ship on the 15th, and she said she didn't know. I asked her about the 12th, and she said the system still shows mine going out on the 12th, but that because the system also says it won't be ready until the 15th, that it probably won't ship tomorrow.

Okay... I have a trip coming up (my first real long-distance trip) and this will be my first (well second technically) motorcycle GPS. As a matter of fact, I returned my brand new TomTom Rider 2 in favor of ordering the 660 (and took a hefty restocking fee to boot). Now, I have no GPS, and my trip is quickly approaching, meaning my time to install the device, learn how to properly use it, and test it, is quickly coming to an end.

The fourth CSR offered to upgrade my shipping to overnight, which is appreciated, but next day shipping really does me no good when the shipping date is next day from who-knows-when. What an incredible mess, and what a frustrating experience. It is made worse by my understanding that the software issues with the 660 are very similar (if not exact) to the first software issues on the 550, which were corrected. If true, then Garmin obviously doesn't pay attention to their history of developing software for their products, and that lack of attention has made the launch of the 660 a very rocky one.

Okay... rant over.

Ian;

Zumo 660s not delivered to end users were recalled to the factory and shipments were cancelled because of a serious issue with firmware. Not sure what they'll do for the ones that got out early, though from what I understand it is an interim software release, not the original one that caused the problems and the AMA preships had the original firmware.

However early adopters will almost always suffer the consequences of major firmware flaws in a new product - the old adage about never buying a car in it's first year applies to buying a navigator in it's first week.

The Zumo 550 is a very competent bike navigator and is mature enough that it is relaively bug-free, though you'd better remember to bring a hex key along to let you remove the battery if/when it locks up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about the 550. I wonder if mono music is that big of a deal. I suppose riding on the bike, stereo versus mono isn't going to be a huge difference considering wind noise, helmet design, etc. Of course, even with the discount, the 550 is more expensive than the 660.

The Zumo 550 is a very competent bike navigator and is mature enough that it is relaively bug-free, though you'd better remember to bring a hex key along to let you remove the battery if/when it locks up.
Power on and + key reboot wouldn't clear it?

I've yet to have a single lockup yet, FWIW.

I thought about the 550. I wonder if mono music is that big of a deal. I suppose riding on the bike, stereo versus mono isn't going to be a huge difference considering wind noise, helmet design, etc. Of course, even with the discount, the 550 is more expensive than the 660.
Music is only mono out of Zumo 550 if via bluetooth. If using wired headset it is stereo.

Ian,

It will all work out and you will be very happy with your purchase.

John

Music is only mono out of Zumo 550 if via bluetooth. If using wired headset it is stereo.
Hm... didn't realize that. How about XM radio. Possible on the 550, right? Now I need to check if my vehicle Sirius account can be put on the Zumo 550 (if it supports actual XM radio).

Ian,
It will all work out and you will be very happy with your purchase.

John
Help me out here... are you saying the 550 is your recommendation, or wait for the 660? I'm starting to feel the crunch of a quickly approaching first-time long distance trip. I'm excited about the trip, and the GPS is the last element I need to get situated.

I paid $579 for my 550. It was a refurbed unit. I got it at www.factoryoutletstore.com.

When I got it I called Garmin to register it and did not have any problems. I have purchased two garmins refurbed and had no problems getting them registered for the waranty.

Good luck

You're lucky! :yahoo: I have no experience with the Zumo, but have experienced the lockup issue with a Garmin Rino530 (GPS and GMRS radio combo). I actually have experience with 3 of them and all 3 have had the lockup where it no longer responds to any input, including the power button. The only way to reset them when they lock is to remove the battery! :angry: Sounds like Garmin has inserted the same defective code in all their products. :(

if you don't need the bluetooth hoohah, the 450 works perfectly well. No lockups here (*knock knock*)

that's after you lay out another $150 or so for the antenna, just like for the traffic radio. I couldn't figure why the device is $200-$300 more than the 450 just to have the capability but you still needed to lay out hundreds more (plus subscription) to actually *use* the extra capability.

Yes, the 550 does XM.
The 550 is only more expensive if you buy it from Garmin. Street prices are lower than the 660.

My 550 locked up in Montana about 16 miles in on an 18 mile gravel road. I left it that way until I got back to the pavement. Then did the "Power on and + key reboot" and it worked again. That was two years ago and it is still working just fine and has not locked up again.

To me, blue tooth is worth the money. Much nicer have to GPS talk to me rather than have to look at the screen all of the time.

Mono music when I'm on the road with other folks. Ear buds and stereo when I'm by myself.

To me it was money well spent. I would like the bigger screen but not enough to give up the other things.

Alright this is how I would break it down:

1. New model - Unknown history ( waterproofness , screen issues etc)

2. Known Firmware issues

3. Software issues - Not known or mentioned yet but few units are in use.

4. Murphy's Law

This is the big reason I wait before "upgrading" to almost anything. Too may things have Rev 3 or whatever stickers, and I do not want to be stuck in the middle of no where with an expensive paperweight. I would go with the 550 and keep it a year and then sell it for about a $150.00 less than new next year as I am sure the demand for the 550 will still be high.

Alright this is how I would break it down:1. New model - Unknown history ( waterproofness , screen issues etc)

2. Known Firmware issues

3. Software issues - Known mentioned yet but few units are in use.

4. Murphy's Law

This is the big reason I wait before "upgrading" to almost anything. Too may things have Rev 3 or whatever stickers, and I do not want to be stuck in the middle of no where with an expensive paperweight. I would go with the 550 and keep it a year and then sell it for about a $150.00 less than new next year as I am sure the demand for the 550 will still be high.
I'm actually looking at local stores with the 550 and comparing prices. I think you might be right. Too soon to buy such an expensive product with issues already cropping up.

For what it is worth,

gpsonsale.com lists the Zumo 550 for $249 (it says they are brand new).

WW

Latest posts