Gas Octane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamma Jamma

Reaction score
Will someone please direct me to the "never ending thread" that talks about octane.

have an 07 FJRAE. Dealer told me to use premium. Manual says regular. Premium now costs

significanltly more. Will regular hurt engine or diminish performance?

Am looking forward to the insults for asking question.... :angry:

Will someone please direct me to the "never ending thread" that talks about octane.
have an 07 FJRAE. Dealer told me to use premium. Manual says regular. Premium now costs

regular is fine.

your dealer probably holds exxon stock...... :eek:

Us texans are kinda slow....don't feel too bad. Sometimes it's just best to shut up and look cool.

Dealer probably thought he delivered a Concours 14 to you.

Those guys never bother to read the book - they believe that if it costs a lot it must use 'super', because 'super' MUST be 'better'. FYI, running 'super' in an engine not tuned for it can result in reduced performance and reduced mileage. Running regular in an engine tuned for super could result in pinging and eventual damage in extreme cases.

Read the book. It is important to read the book. The book is your bible. The dealer is babble.

To paraphrase from an old joke - "Question: How to you know a dealer is lying? Answer: his lips are moving!!"

Feel free to read any of the neverending pointless threads on the subject. But unless you want to become a checmical engineer, save your time, pull up to the 87 pump and squeeze the right juice into your tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dealer is confused. The book, and my dealer said higher octane could actually cause the bike to run poorly.

I 100% agree with the fellow forum members who stated to run regular gasoline. As of recent, here in Germany in an effort to cancel all sales of regular gasoline, both regular and premium are the same price. Some gas stations have removed regular gasoline pump hoses all together, (of course we are talking about paying an equivalent of USD 8.25 a gallon) and so here we're gonna have to start running premium in our FJRs. Doesn't matter now what the dealer here says, if you only have premium gasoline, you don't have an option but to run it! Haven't discussed this topic with the dealer yet to see where Yamaha stands on this matter in regards to my 07 Dark Cherry, but it is the first topic on the list during my next visit!! Perhaps it's re-tune or adjustment time? :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same deal in Venezuela - one octane level available - super - doesn't matter whether you need it, want it or not. Then again, gas is about 25 cents a gallon there.