Gas tank

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commute365

Reaction score
Changed spark plugs today and just propped tank up. Is there aome kind of secrete to get the front bracket back to where you can screw it down? Thanks

Did you loosen the rear nut? If not, you've bent the metal a bit.

(Click on image for larger view)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignacio,

Thanks for the link. I did follow the guide at FJRtech for changing spark plugs and there was no mention of a bolt at the rear just to prop up tank. Perhaps I should have read how to remove gas tank first (hindsight). I managed to push the tank to where the bracket lined up and it is all back together. Thanks for the info guys next time things will go more smoothly.I will do more reading at FJRtech and am soon going to purchase a service manual.

You may have found what I found that one of the online FJR tutorials on spark plug changing is for a Gen 1. My Gen 3 is different. You do need to loosen the bolt at the hinge point at the back of the tank. then, when you are ready to put her back together, the allen bolts near the handlebars will not go in because the holes are 1/4inch out of alignment. This is normal. What I do is take a long screwdriver and gently lever the tank forward enough to get the holes aligned. Works no problem. Then, tighten down the back bolt, and the front allens. All done.

Salish,So if I understand you correctly the gen1 do not need to loosen or remove that rear bolt?
You do. All FJR tanks are attached the same way. If the rear bolt is not loosened, I would be afraid to bend something when I raised the tank, and if the bolt is not loose, the tank can't be pushed forward so the holes align. ALWAYS loosen the rear bolt. It just makes life easier.

^^^^ Listen to HRZ...loosen the back pivot bolt and then move the tank forward enough to line things up.

Easypeazy!

--G

No secretions needed!
tonguesmiley.gif