gear or drive problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Vallely

Reaction score
Hi Friends.  I am new to this blog.  I have a 2006 FJR 1300A (manual shift shaft drive) that has developed a strange problem.  As the bike warms up, it gradually loses traction in all gears.  The engine continues to operate properly, and I can change gears normally, but there is less and less traction.  It is as if the drive disengages from the gears, no traction.  I had to have my bike towed home when I was unable to get up a hill near home.  I changed the shaft drive oil, changed the regular oil with 10w-40, and checked the radiator.  Still continues to die.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I am in the Rockville, MD area and would like recommendations for dealerships or mechanics nearby who can service my bike.
Sincerely,
Mike V.
301-802-8855

Sounds like the clutch is slipping.  What oil are you using?  Are you using any oil additives?

Conventional automotive oils may contain additives that are not friendly to a motorcycle "wet" clutch.  Same with some aftermarket products that may be added to engine oil.

Sounds like clutch slippage.  Make sure that you are using oil rated for wet clutch use.  Modern oils with friction reducers cause wet clutches to slip, moreso when warm.

edit:  Ross beat me to it but we came to the same conclusion, which is a good thing.

Hi Friends.  I am new to this blog.  I have a 2006 FJR 1300A (manual shift shaft drive) that has developed a strange problem.  As the bike warms up, it gradually loses traction in all gears.  The engine continues to operate properly, and I can change gears normally, but there is less and less traction.  It is as if the drive disengages from the gears, no traction.  I had to have my bike towed home when I was unable to get up a hill near home.  I changed the shaft drive oil, changed the regular oil with 10w-40, and checked the radiator.  Still continues to die.  Any insights would be greatly appreciated.  
Mike V.
Mike,

Are you saying that the clutch is slipping?  If so, do you know what engine oil is in the engine now?  The FJR has an oil-wetted clutch, so the motorcycle oils will be good, but the "friction modified" oils (which can improve gas mileage in a car) will cause the clutch to slip.  The Owners Manual (and other service manuals) will give you the correct specs for the motor oil you need.  The containers will be labeled with those specs, so no guesswork is needed or wanted.

You can download an Owners Manual from several web sites.  If one site gives you trouble, just pick another.

https://www.manualslib.com/download/1062279/Yamaha-2006-Fjr1300a.html

https://procarmanuals.com/yamaha-fjr1300-av-2006-owners-manual/

---  Keep us posted.  

So, with a new post, it takes time for the OP to get back and read/reply. We now are waiting to hear what kind of oil he has in the bike and if there were any additives used.

We all are stuck with guesses without this info.