Gen 3 Dash/Shelf ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be interested as well

Last edited by a moderator:
detective2.gif

For crying out loud! Does your girlfriend have to talk dirty to you first to get you 'excited'???

There are certain things that, once I obtained them, whether riding gear or bike accessories, I realized I could never do without them. The dash shelf on my '05 is one such thing. How could anyone ride a motorcycle without a dash shelf?!

I received my awesome new Gen III shelf yesterday and today I did a quick mock-up install just to see how it will fit & look. I mounted the two side brackets with the attached hardware to the shelf and then to the factory bolts on the insides of the front dash beside the instrument cluster. I haven't yet drilled the final hole in the front nose fairing as I just wanted to see it for fit and form. As promised this shelf is awesome. It fits good, looks good & will be very functional with the windshield both up and down. I have a Cee Bailey reverse contour windshield that is wider and taller than stock and the shelf looks perfect with the width of mine. Since I cannot post pics from Photobucket, I'll leave a link here to the first pic and you can go to my photobucket and look at the rest. (Maybe someone can give me the usual photo assist
rolleyes.gif
) Again this is just an initial mock up and I will add more pics once the final install in done with some of my accessories installed. Anyone wanting one of these will not be disappointed.

https://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/profmil19/2014%20FJR%20shelf/PB180840_zpsf029bd52.jpg

Many props to Scott and Tom for their hard work on this and for putting up with me on bugging the shit out of them for when it would be finished.

Maybe if Beemerdons bought one of these he would move over to the (other) dark side and buy a GPS to mount on it!!
lol.gif
punk.gif

I received my awesome new Gen III shelf yesterday and today I did a quick mock-up install just to see how it will fit & look. I mounted the two side brackets with the attached hardware to the shelf and then to the factory bolts on the insides of the front dash beside the instrument cluster. I haven't yet drilled the final hole in the front nose fairing as I just wanted to see it for fit and form. As promised this shelf is awesome. It fits good, looks good & will be very functional with the windshield both up and down. I have a Cee Bailey reverse contour windshield that is wider and taller than stock and the shelf looks perfect with the width of mine. Since I cannot post pics from Photobucket, I'll leave a link here to the first pic and you can go to my photobucket and look at the rest. (Maybe someone can give me the usual photo assist
rolleyes.gif
) Again this is just an initial mock up and I will add more pics once the final install in done with some of my accessories installed. Anyone wanting one of these will not be disappointed.
https://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/profmil19/2014%20FJR%20shelf/PB180840_zpsf029bd52.jpg
Two questions:

1) How does it fit/look with your windshield all the way down? It looks like it is in the full up position in your pics and I know the screen arms pull the top of the screen a bit down towards the dash when retracted.

2) Where do you mount electronics since there are not pre-drilled holes? Do you have to drill your own and if so, will that mess up the black finish around that hole?

The bracket or hardware will cover up the drilled holes. The product is aluminum so corrosion is not an issue.

Everyone has their version of what they want on the dash. I have to leave the top platform an clean slate for FJR riders to do their thing.

Velcro even works great for some of the small stuff like Radar Detectors or for a trial run before drilling.

My Gen2 had many holes because I was always changing things up. The automotive push in panel fasteners work great for finishing those of or covering a mistake.

rolleyes.gif
Thanks for the pictures. I anxiously await mine.

Looks great! Do these dashes do anything weird to the airflow through the windshield vent?

They are going fast!

Please specify Gen 3 or Gen 2 when purchasing.

I am selling both .....

Two questions:

1) How does it fit/look with your windshield all the way down? It looks like it is in the full up position in your pics and I know the screen arms pull the top of the screen a bit down towards the dash when retracted.

2) Where do you mount electronics since there are not pre-drilled holes? Do you have to drill your own and if so, will that mess up the black finish around that hole?
Some of my pics are with the windshield down all the way also. The fit is perfect with both the shield up and down. As Scott says you have to determine your own method of mounting. Once I determine what and where to mount, I will be drilling mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.