Gen 3 Diagnostics?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitbyastick

Reaction score
Hello,

yesterday while driving my Check Engine Light came on. Only when pulling from low RPMs, such as when taking off from a stop. Most predominant under load in 5th gear and usually only under 3000 RPM.

I know the older FJRs had on board diagnostics. Does the Gen 3 have a port I can hook up a scan tool to, or is this a dealer only thing. I want to verify if it's safe to ride further. Nearest dealer is 45 miles away or so.

Thanks!

Give and get. You get hot-shot electronics with all kind of display options. You give up having a diagnostic screen. Go to the dealer. Another Gen III feature (not) brought to you by Yamaha.

Wow, really? They took out the Diag screens, that blows. What are you supposed to do now if you're out on the road or even if you need to do some work on the FJR.

I forgot that they had added the OBD II port. That does actually open up some real possibilities to use software like AutoTap and AutoXray to plug into the port and with one package read values and the other to over write some values in tables. Best of all it should allow data logging which makes troubleshooting *much* easier for some odd problems like puppychows stalling.

Where might one find this OBD2 port? I have a scan tool; although it's not Yamaha specfic.
Dunno about the location of the port. OBD-II diagnostics is a standardized data link connector and a set of standard SAE J/1979 defined Parameter IDs (PIDs). Vehicle manufacturers can have custom PIDs for their own vehicles and manufacturers don't have to support all modes. There are 10 categories for codes:

$01. Show current data

$02. Show freeze frame data

$03. Show stored Diagnostic Trouble Codes

$04. Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes and stored values

$05. Test results, oxygen sensor monitoring (non CAN only)

$06. Test results, other component/system monitoring (Test results, oxygen sensor monitoring for CAN only)

$07. Show pending Diagnostic Trouble Codes (detected during current or last driving cycle)

$08. Control operation of on-board component/system

$09. Request vehicle information

$0A. Permanent DTC's (Cleared DTC's)

The $ is a software thingie that indicates the values are hexadecimal base, under each base code can be a long list of engine/vehicle function readings.

Yamaha has to play nice with some of the above code categories, though they may have other codes that are optional which a standard code reader couldn't handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an UltraGauge in my car (OBDII), find out where the connector is and I'll wait until somebody else plugs one in :D

That's excellent information. I heard through the grapevine that the port is under the side panel. Which side? I have no idea. I'll call the dealer and see if they can tell me. I have an appointment on thursday, but I'd like to find out first.

Just got back from dealer. What a joke. The CEL didn't store any codes, even though it was very clearly on more than one time. According to the service dude, it doesn't store every code. Only when it's something "bad". Whatever that means. He also said the code scanner was under the seat. I have checked there and it's not. So who knows. Probably jsut a clever way to charge me a diagnostic fee of 45 dollars. In the very least I have a paper trail so if there is an issue in the future, I have a leg to stand on. The vibrations came from cupped tires. I find that weird as well, because I always check the tire pressure and wear. Oh well, better luck next time.