Gen II clutch slave conversion to GEN I *feedback requested*

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a 2007 Feejer and quite frankly am not a fan of the extremely tight / firm / hard clutch pull that's required. I've heard of others simply switching to the GEN I slave but have also heard that it affects the lever position etc. For those of you who have actually done this conversion could you provide any relevant feedback please? How much easier was the clutch pull? Was it as simple as changing the slave? A search on this subject yielded part # 5JW-16381-00-00 known as Push Lever Comp. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Apparently I'm an idiot. I shoulda paid closer attention. Dork.
From 2009 on they went back to fitting the original Gen 1 part. As for beating yourself up - don't - only politicians have the true gift of hindsight :dribble:

Don

How come I can't find the clutch slave in a parts diagram. Is it called something else, or am I looking in the wrong place? I've searched under Transmission and clutch and Control and Brake...Nothing...
AFAIK it's item 29 on this parts fiche They call it a "Push Lever Comp." (whatever the f*ck that is) :rolleyes:

Don
Ok...I looked right at that and wondered if that was it, but by the name I wasn't sure. Maybe I'll try this. Just for the grins of it. Haha...
Haha, I kinda fee like quoting a post you made a couple months back :lol:

No complaints at all on my 08 clutch coming from an 04, except that it engages slightly closer to the handle bar, but it's a neutral difference.

How come I can't find the clutch slave in a parts diagram. Is it called something else, or am I looking in the wrong place? I've searched under Transmission and clutch and Control and Brake...Nothing...
AFAIK it's item 29 on this parts fiche They call it a "Push Lever Comp." (whatever the f*ck that is) :rolleyes:

Don
Ok...I looked right at that and wondered if that was it, but by the name I wasn't sure. Maybe I'll try this. Just for the grins of it. Haha...
Haha, I kinda fee like quoting a post you made a couple months back :lol:

No complaints at all on my 08 clutch coming from an 04, except that it engages slightly closer to the handle bar, but it's a neutral difference.
What...About people bitching and spending money needlessly? I know...I have already thought of that, but if it really does make clutch engagement NOTICIBLY better, why not? I may get it on there and realize I have been duped, but like I've said before: I've spent more money getting drunk on a Friday night. Haha...

NOW...If that's not what you were talking about, let it roll, 'cuz I'm obviously confused. :p

Thanks to seeing this thread I decided to take the plunge and replace my 2007's slave cylinder with one from an '03 model. $30 including shipping from an ebay seller.

I measured the piston diameters- the 07 was 29.5 mm, the 03 was 33.6 mm. The lever effort should now be reduced to about 3/4 of what it previously was.

This mod must already be done to my '07. The clutch pull is very light and smooth as long as I use the 1st or 2nd setting. If I use any of the others, I get a slight bit of clutch drag. It's amazing what a person finds out by just doing a little reading.

This mod must already be done to my '07. The clutch pull is very light and smooth as long as I use the 1st or 2nd setting. If I use any of the others, I get a slight bit of clutch drag. It's amazing what a person finds out by just doing a little reading.
Easy enough to find out for sure- undo the 3 bolts and measure across the piston. No need to take the line off or bleed it.

Easy enough to find out for sure- undo the 3 bolts and measure across the piston. No need to take the line off or bleed it.
Okay, I'll bite. What's the difference in diameter between the two?

I just left the dealership and notice absolutely no change in the lever pull and the all the gears are sticking. I have to mash the shifter up and down and literally step on it from 2nd to 1st. Anyone experience anything similar?

After changing to a Gen 1 slave cylinder I found that the clutch lever pivot bolt had never been greased and was to tight. Made a big difference when that was fixed. ;)

I just left the dealership and notice absolutely no change in the lever pull and the all the gears are sticking. I have to mash the shifter up and down and literally step on it from 2nd to 1st. Anyone experience anything similar?
If you can't disengage the clutch then something is wrong. Suggest re-checking the line was flushed and bled correctly.

I've been running my Gen 1 slave all this year, and the effort did go down, albeit I had to adjust the lever out to get more pull. Initially I didn't like the additional reach, but decided to stick with it...... liking it OK now.

I drove it back out and had them bleed the clutch. I had it on 5 but now it's on 4 so I can get it to release. Still can't feel a reduce in the pull. Trans is still a little stickier than before. I'll see if it improves in a week. Dealer offered to replace the original to see if it goes back to the way I had it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - before you do anything else try this - ty-wrap the clutch handle to the grip and let it sit overnight. When the clutch is bled, it's almost impossible to get all the air out - and letting it sit with the handle in allows the remaining air to percolate out overnight.

1344569640[/url]' post='989893']OK - before you do anything else try this - ty-wrap the clutch handle to the grip and let it sit overnight. When the clutch is bled, it's almost impossible to get all the air out - and letting it sit with the handle in allows the remaining air to percolate out overnight.
Never heard of that but I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the tip.

1344569640[/url]' post='989893']OK - before you do anything else try this - ty-wrap the clutch handle to the grip and let it sit overnight. When the clutch is bled, it's almost impossible to get all the air out - and letting it sit with the handle in allows the remaining air to percolate out overnight.
Never heard of that but I have nothing to lose. Thanks for the tip.
Oh yeah, it's an "old trick" for both clutch bleeds AND front brake bleeds. Strap the levers under pressure and leave them that way overnight.

Ive never noticed the gen 2 to be hard to pull. I guess after riding a harley for 6 months anything would be considered easy.