Gen II Crash Bar Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in Renegade. The FJR is pending sale of the KTM but I don't want to miss this boat regardless.

Ahem; I'll take those in Black please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the oil filter clear the bar ? Looks like it in the pic, but I'd hate to have to take the bar off when changing the oil.

I'll take a set for my '07 painted to match (black cherry).
Jon
I'll chip in for the cost of getting the rears-only painted black cherry if there are two or three of us...otherwise I was going to ship mine to Garauld ...

Is that $55 set-up fee including the paint color ??

Also, if the vendor prefers to, or will only, sell complete sets, I'lm ok with that...just not my preference.

what is the weight of these so that we can guess shipping... (just get the weight of the full set, if it's easier)...

sorry... Please! and Thank you for setting this up!!! :)

Will the oil filter clear the bar ? Looks like it in the pic, but I'd hate to have to take the bar off when changing the oil.
My guess is that if you're using the shorter oil filter (M-108 from mobil 1 for example) you'll be ok. That's what I had to do with my Wild Bill hiway peg mounts....I had been using the M-110 "tall' oil filter previously.

Dangitall, I was saving for suspension.

Edit: In retrospect. I think I'll continue to save for suspension.

I feel the need, sign me up for a pair. Painted the '07 black cherry please.

depending on when this is going to occur, I'm either "on the fence" or "in". For a black set.

If it goes after tax return time, I'm "in". It's a question of money, not desire:p

any plans to offer the front and rear bars separately?
Dunno, I have asked them though, waiting response.

Any pics of the rear bars installed with the bags removed?
I don't have any, perhaps someone that knows Gary could get a few pics? I'll PM him as well.

I believe so and will try to confirm.

what is the weight of these so that we can guess shipping... (just get the weight of the full set, if it's easier)...
They quoted $35 to the lower 48 states.

I'm very interested as well. Any additional info on the bars would be a big plus. Black or Silver for mine. Please let us know how this progresses! THANKS!!

Additional feedback from the horse's mouth:

The bars do not interfere in any way with the oil filter -------- and also protect and do not interfere with the stator cover as well.

BTW: For curiousity seekers, the front foot peg feelers touch before the bars ------------- for those riders which may occasionally experience AGGRESSIVE riding.

Gary is working on photos of these areas and w/o the bags on.

-MD

This is still a work in progress.
But based on the photos of the crash bars in this thread: Clicky here

I am interested in these crash bars for my Gen II (06) bike. For more than just crash protection, perhaps better highway peg mounting options.

The folks that made these for George are: https://www.racing905.com/contact.html

I'm still trying to gather the details, but it's looking like the following:

* Minimum order to get this group buy off the ground: (5) (I am one of those) so we need (4) more victims.

* Cost will be roughly $300 plus shipping.

* Color: Powder coated in Black, other colors available for an additional charge.

Updated Q&A

Questions I have to them are:

1: Can they estimate the shipping costs. ($35 to lower 48 States)

2: Does this include any/all mounting hardware? (Yes all mounting hardware and installation instructions are included)

3: What is the cost for the additional powder coating? (Additional colors are a $55 setup charge)

If you are interested in a set of these, please post your name in THIS thread. I suspect if we can get 10 or more the price will be even less, perhaps $275 a set for both the front and rear crash bars.

Tracking

Confirmed people (by their posting) as of 1/15 12:50pm EST

1: Renegade (Black)

2: Chris D (Black Cherry Set)

3: Daddyman (Black)

4: Slow2 (Black)

5: vol210 (Black)

6: Jon (Black Cherry Set)

7: GWing (Black Set)

8: FJR13k (Black Cherry Set)

Half Sets:

1: twistedcricket (only wants the rears / Black Cherry)

Unsure? On the Fence?

1: Pat C

2: Phugedaboudet (Black Set)

3: Silent (he'll come around ;) and since he's not sure about the backs should split a set with twistedcricket ;)

4: Old Bear (Black/Silver)

Count me in for a set in Black.

I'd need to see a set from both head on and ass on. I've got limited space for parking and already have to fold my mirrors in and take the bags off to get the FJR in the back.

The bars do not interfere in any way with the oil filter -------- and also protect and do not interfere with the stator cover as well.

BTW: For curiousity seekers, the front foot peg feelers touch before the bars ------------- for those riders which may occasionally experience AGGRESSIVE riding.

-MD
When he gets pictures, if he hasn't already, can he get a close shot of the fronts? Straight on from the side. From the photos available, the highway pegs I have might clear the front set...barely.

Thanks!

-MD
When he gets pictures, if he hasn't already, can he get a close shot of the fronts? Straight on from the side. From the photos available, the highway pegs I have might clear the front set...barely.

Thanks!
I asked for that... Sort of... I'm kind of thinking about putting my highway pegs on these bars, that's my true motivation. While I really like the pegs that are coming out of the TOGS, they IMHO look like ASS.

FWIW, as a somewhat experienced powdercoater, I'd be cautious about getting these in a different color than satin black. The cost to make up a recipe for custom powder color matches is about $300 and then you need to buy the powder too. I for one have not had good luck finding powder in cherry, cobalt or galaxy colors. If you order these protectors in a special color, like dark cherry, you may not get as close a match as you would like or expect. Renegade - you may want to ask for color chips first...

FWIW, as a somewhat experienced powdercoater, I'd be cautious about getting these in a different color than satin black. The cost to make up a recipe for custom powder color matches is about $300 and then you need to buy the powder too. I for one have not had good luck finding powder in cherry, cobalt or galaxy colors. If you order these protectors in a special color, like dark cherry, you may not get as close a match as you would like or expect. Renegade - you may want to ask for color chips first...
That's exactly why I don't care if I get black :) I'll ship mine to Garauld and beg/plead/buybeerfor him to paint to match. He matches the color on the great racks he builds.

However, in the pictures from the other threads, they seem to match pretty well.... :unsure:

That's exactly why I don't care if I get black :) I'll ship mine to Garauld and beg/plead/buybeerfor him to paint to match. He matches the color on the great racks he builds.

However, in the pictures from the other threads, they seem to match pretty well.... :unsure:
Agreed, and I don't know shit about powder coating... Gary's do look good, but in the interest of full disclosure: Gary's were not powder coated by the people that made the bars, he took them elsewhere.

I asked the question if all the Black Cherry people could share the $55 color charge, from my take, they also farm this out and don't do it themselves. They have initially agreed that some number could share the cost, but they don't know how many they can do at one time.

You can put me in the "Likely" column, but I need to look at those pictures a bit more closely. You don't have any better pictures do you, other than the ones in the thread on the forum?

Ed

Latest posts