Gen1 Clutch Lever Maintenance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
I just ran into this one today...

I had a bunch of gift certificates to Cycle Gear and just bought a set of Pazzo levers. I got the front brake on real quick then moved to the clutch side.

I removed the stock clutch lever and the little brass bushing fell out of the lever. This brass bushing has a small hole in it, about half way or so thru the cylinder, so the clutch master cylinder plunger can go into it and push when the lever is actuated. I picked up the bushing and noticed it was, 1) Very worn. 2) Oval shaped. 3) The hole was nearly clean thru the bushing. Note the blue circled area has a small hole in it where it's worn thru. Also note the lips, ridges, etc, and beat appearance. BTW - I have about 53K on the bike.

I've heard many people complain about the clutch letting off to close to the grip, etc. It may be possible that this bushing is so worn that it doesn't give full motion of the lever. I had no issue with this as I took care of it by installing my SS clutch line just after I bought the bike. This may really change things up when I get the new bushing.

So for now I have a Pazzo front brake lever and stocker clutch lever. I did clean and lube everything while I was in there too. The part should be in by Tuesday next week. You may want to look at your just for grins.

The brass bushing I'm referring to is number 4 (3GM-26455-00). It costs $6.47.

Picture1copycopy.png

Dark triangle area is thru hole from other side.

P1060103r1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW.. I lost me clutch bushing twice in my old shop before I got decent lighting..

I must admit that hunk of shit you have displayed above looks like ya might have tossed a handful of sand at a freshly greased part before re-assembly..

Yer startin' to sound like a nood ratballs

FWIW.. I lost me clutch bushing twice in my old shop before I got decent lighting..I must admit that hunk of shit you have displayed above looks like ya might have tossed a handful of sand at a freshly greased part before re-assembly..

I love you too Barry. :wub: :friends: :wub:

FWIW.. I lost me clutch bushing twice in my old shop before I got decent lighting..I must admit that hunk of shit you have displayed above looks like ya might have tossed a handful of sand at a freshly greased part before re-assembly..

Bluesy, Bust is right; you're indeed a nood ratball. But this was a very timely and informative technical tidbit. I'm preflighting Miss Lucy Liu before CFR 2010 in Quebec, I'll definitely check this bushing.

Bluesy, Bust is right; you're indeed a nood ratball. But this was a very timely and informative technical tidbit. I'm preflighting Miss Lucy Liu before CFR 2010 in Quebec, I'll definitely check this bushing.
I've two extras in like new condition if ya need one Don.. If yer real nice I'd bring one along

:jester:

So what are you doing tonight luv?

:jester:

Coincidentally, I just had mine apart for semi-annual lubing and noticed the same wear although the hole isn't worn through yet. My bikes a 07 with 37k on it. So it sounds like even regular maintenance won't stop the requirement for an occasional bushing replacement.

I recently noticed that the bushing on my clutch lever had excessive movement as well, so I got a relacement bushing for it. Just replaced it last night - a total of 5 minutes including cleaning everything. The old bushing was in even worse shape than FJRBluesman's. It had a hole completely thru it.

I noticed a HUGE difference on my commute into work this morning. Apparently that worn out bushing wasn't allowing the clutch to completely disengage. Now it's back to smooth shifting. Probably the biggest bang for the buck of anything I've done to my feejer.

Thanks Simon! I owe you a drink of your choice next time I see you.

QUOTE (FJRBluesman @ Jun 12 2010, 02:49 PM) QUOTE (Bustanut joker @ Jun 12 2010, 02:47 PM) FWIW.. I lost me clutch bushing twice in my old shop before I got decent lighting..

I must admit that hunk of shit you have displayed above looks like ya might have tossed a handful of sand at a freshly greased part before re-assembly..

Yer startin' to sound like a nood ratballsI love you too Barry.
wub.gif
friends.gif
wub.gif

Simon, think it's time to change your "Member Title" from "Mr. FJR Gumby" to "Mr. Nood Ratball."

Just a thought.

Can't imagine how crappie your clutch must have felt with a barrel that looked like that. Can't think of a maintenance chore that costs less and pays bigger dividends. You can go into this completely brain dead and come out with a stiff thump er. There is nothing like a smooth clutch. Incidentally an oil can will not do the job. Complete dis assembly and a good grease is the ticket.

I also took things apart for a little look see and cleaning and all is well. The return of the clutch lever does seem a little slow. The lever should spring back a little quicker once released, any suggestions on the cause. I wonder if a good flush and bleed would correct this?

Canadian FJR