Getting another FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an MT10 also. Stupid fun bike that encourages extremely bad behavior. Much easier to keep your license with the FJR. 

If the CL pics are any indication, that’s one clean FJR. With all the goodies on it, at $6K it is right in the pricing ball park too. 

If it speaks to you jump on it...hate to let the “one” get away!

~G

That FJR should have a few fixes for complete reliability:

-new cam chain tensioner, usually done at the valve check 25k miles

- check the spider harness

- see that it had ignition wiring recall done

- add a Garuald stiffy kit to the rear subframe to handle weight of trunk box

-new cam chain tensioner, usually done at the valve check 25k miles
Yamaha upgraded the CCT sometime late in the 2007 model year (my '07 had the old version).  In any case, a 2009 should have the newer "blue dot" (or green dot) cam chain tensioner.  Not to say that replacement would be a bad idea but with the newer version, I would wait for symptoms before swapping it out.  (can of marbles rattling on right side of motor when cold)

As Hudson mentioned, there were two recalls for at least some 2009s.  You can check based upon VIN. 

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2009/YAMAHA/FJR1300#recalls

I remember riding with you two on madmikes tours when I first got the 2008. Great rides and group to be with.

I was originally shopping for a MT-10 when I came across the ad, but I'm getting older and might be the last chance to enjoy an new MT..

So next week after getting reamed on taxes I'll decide what direction to go. Thanks and have a great year.
Getting older, and taxes !  I'm familiar with also LOL  --  best of luck with your direction.

I have an MT10 also. Stupid fun bike that encourages extremely bad behavior. Much easier to keep your license with the FJR. 
I've have had sport bikes since 1975 (Kawasaki H2) and many liter+ since. The fjr was the mellowest bike I ever owned.

I know i'm getting older but still have " the need for speed".  

My wife says I'm too old for another bike, I told her I might as well be dead without a bike. 😠

Well she's not talking to me and i really don't care after almost 40-years.

So by Monday I'll either be an fjr owner, a suicide machine owner, or might as well be dead.

Take care

I know i'm getting older but still have " the need for speed".  

My wife says I'm too old for another bike, I told her I might as well be dead without a bike.
If you do talk to her, tell her that at least one FJR rider is 77. And his wife was always very supportive of his riding.

OK.  My advice is value your wife more than a motorcycle.  That means if you decide to buy one or more now, hide them at Bugnatr's while you fix up your marriage.  Unfortunately, they do not come with a shop manual, but I wish you the best in that. 

🙂

The lack of conversation happens a couple times a year for the last 39..Not ever over a new motorcycle., just me being my normal @sshole self.

Anyway was on my way to dealer after doing the taxes when she blurted out that I'm too old for another bike? Anyway still trying which to decide to buy

a new MT or make an offer on the FJR so maybe it was a good time to challenge me...Will try to decide tomorrow.

The lack of conversation happens a couple times a year for the last 39..Not ever over a new motorcycle., just me being my normal @sshole self.

Anyway was on my way to dealer after doing the taxes when she blurted out that I'm too old for another bike? Anyway still trying to decide to buy

a new MT or make an offer on the FJR so maybe it was a good time to challenge me...Will try to decide tomorrow.
Keep being an asshole. I've found when I stop being one then people get suspicious that something is wrong.

Buy whatever feels good. :punk:

Keep being an asshole. I've found when I stop being one then people get suspicious that something is wrong.

Buy whatever feels good. :punk:
Yup...Can't change the way I am..All my friends are divorced and I'm still married being an @sshole?

Anyway who knows, maybe a new bike or an old fjr. Could have worse things to contemplate I guess.

Going to the dealer to check out the MT and maybe a Tracer 900GT, then talk to guy with the FJR.

Yup...Can't change the way I am..All my friends are divorced and I'm still married being an @sshole?

Anyway who knows, maybe a new bike or an old fjr. Could have worse things to contemplate I guess.

Going to the dealer to check out the MT and maybe a Tracer 900GT, then talk to guy with the FJR.
FjRay has nice FJR for I bet he'd sell you...

FjRay has nice FJR for I bet he'd sell you...
I don't think so. :fuck: I'm going to ride it at least once this year.

However I will make somebody a sweet deal on a KZ1300. Zero miles on complete restoration. :punk:

They say the FJR is an old man's bike.  It is the "responsible" choice - cheaper price, lower maintenance, and less assertive than the MT.

Says the guy looking at an H2 SX...😉

Inspected an H2 Carbon today and thought about it seriously until I sat on it, back won't last long and would be hard to write the check for it. 

MT-10 was sweet but ended up buying a 2020 Tracer 900GT.

Still going to look at the used FJR this weekend, he can only say no to my offer.

Thanks for the input.