Getting ready to sell my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisflock

FJR nose gunner
Reaction score
Long time no post; I'm getting ready to sell my FJR and having a tough time figuring out what to list it for.

It is a 2007 with 30500 miles (basically stock with frame sliders and a luggage rack, nothing wrong with it). KBB says 6500 which seems way high to me, and when I look at craigslist and other sites, there just aren't any FJRs for sale in my area, let alone anything close to the same age/mileage.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'll be posting an ad here on the classifieds as soon as I figure out where to start for the price.

Thanks!

For a low mileage 10 year old FJR, I would start in the $5000-$5500 range. Subtract an appropriate 5 to 15 percent if not in good cosmetic shape. Make sure maintenance is up to date or be prepared to take a hit for tire condition, brake pads or overdue valve check.

You can add 2/3 the original cost of high value accessories like Russell seat or Corbin Smuggler. Half or less the value of other accessories. Maybe a bit of a premium for time of year but market conditions in your area could trump everything! (In your favor or otherwise) Good luck.

How quickly you hoping to sell it? Keep in mind this is mid April and a good time to sell, so ya might do a little better right now. I'd ask 5499 and hope for the best. Have my doubts about asking 6500. It might sell for that price, but that would be the kinda price a dealer might get. I'm sure you know that people are willing to pay a little more at a dealership.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
How quickly you hoping to sell it? Keep in mind this is mid April and a good time to sell, so ya might do a little better right now. I'd ask 5499 and hope for the best. Have my doubts about asking 6500. It might sell for that price, but that would be the kinda price a dealer might get. I'm sure you know that people are willing to pay a little more at a dealership.
Gary

darksider #44
When I saw that on the KBB site, I thought it just didn't seem right given the price that a new or nearly new one can be had for (or what I paid for it 10 years ago). I'm not really able to ride it right now, so I'm looking to sell it to someone who can enjoy it but I'm not I'm not desperate for cash where I'll sell it for next nothing.

Why can't you ride it right now? Is it going to be a garage queen for a couple years? If so, sell it to someone that WILL enjoy it. 10 years is a long time to have a bike, and sometimes letting go of them can be more emotional than practical.

Other bikes always come along when you need them. Thats what CL is for :)

Da Wolf

Why can't you ride it right now? Is it going to be a garage queen for a couple years? If so, sell it to someone that WILL enjoy it. 10 years is a long time to have a bike, and sometimes letting go of them can be more emotional than practical.
Other bikes always come along when you need them. Thats what CL is for
smile.png

Da Wolf
Long story short, medical issues have kept me from riding for anything approaching long distance. I don't have the space or desire to keep a bike just to be a garage queen, so that's why I've decided to sell it. But yes, after 10 years I agree the hard part of selling it is more emotional than practical. I probably should have sold it last spring (though I didn't know I wasn't going to be able to ride it all year).

If it is in pristine condition and all maintenance has been recorded $5500.00 is a good starting price as Gary said. But if it goes for less don't be disappointed. The newer bikes have so many more features nowadays.

Good luck,

Dave

Other bikes always come along when you need them. Thats what CL is for
smile.png

Da Wolf
Long story short, medical issues have kept me from riding for anything approaching long distance. I don't have the space or desire to keep a bike just to be a garage queen, so that's why I've decided to sell it. But yes, after 10 years I agree the hard part of selling it is more emotional than practical. I probably should have sold it last spring (though I didn't know I wasn't going to be able to ride it all year).
Chris,

My 2007 went for $5200.00. My bike had 22000 miles on it and was in excellent condition. We have a good market for Motorcycles here in Colorado. I bought a Super Tenere' and it's the Bike to have for stiff knees!! Love it.

Part of the pricing issue is that the Gen 3's are sooo nice, and because they've reached a couple years old now and can be had for rather low prices. Even new Gen 4 inventory is lagging and driving the prices down. All this puts a sort of pressure on the older used bike market so that older machines don't command the kind of money that they're worth. Great if yer a buyer, not so much if yer sellin'...

Gary

darksider #44