Givi E55 Gone!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyFJR

Reaction score
Well lads, I was off on a bit of a trip this morning, 3 miles in and my new E55 went bouncing around the road, so when I went back to pick it up it was complete shit, so i decided to head straight to the dealer where i got it. It came off secondly on the way to the dealer, on inspection the latch was faulty, the dealer acknowledged the faulty latch so hopefully he will sort me with a new one, this one will be bolted in position.

Hate to hear that about your E55. I also have the E55 and have delaying doing the mod to put the retainer pin in the bottom of it. Looks like I now have a Saturday project!

I'm glad it was a faulty latch and not that you didn't have it snapped down correctly. At least you'll get it replaced.

Did the retainer pin addition a few weeks ago with the V46.

Easy to perform, only cost a couple $$$ and worth the piece of mind that the trunk won't make an unscheduled departure... ;)

--G

Easy to perform, only cost a couple $$$ and worth the piece of mind that the trunk won't make an unscheduled departure... ;)

--G
Gorgeous George, do you have additional information on how to do this modification? I have had my E55 for a year now and it made it to Nova Scotia on the FJR and to Utah Canyonlands on the BMW K1600GT with no problems, but reading what happened to JimmyFJR makes me nervous about the Castlegar, Canada run! But with his being a Fellow Irishman, he simply may have overloaded the Givi with too many bottles of Jameson and Smithwicks!

Last edited by a moderator:

--G
Gorgeous George, do you have additional information on how to do this modification? I have had my E55 for a year now and it made it to Nova Scotia on the FJR and to Utah Canyonlands on the BMW K1600GT with no problems, but reading what happened to JimmyFJR makes me nervous about the Castlegar, Canada run! But with his being a Fellow Irishman, he simply may have overloaded the Givi with too many bottles of Jameson and Smithwicks!
I'll head out to the garage and snap a couple pics Don. Basically I drilled a 1/4" hole where [i believe] the Givi light kit power connector installs and used a 1/4" X 2" clevis pin and hair clip.

So easy a caveman can do it...so a pipefitter might have a chance! :eek: :lol:

--G

--G
I'll head out to the garage and snap a couple pics Don. Basically I drilled a 1/4" hole where [i believe] the Givi light kit power connector installs and used a 1/4" X 2" clevis pin and hair clip.

So easy a caveman can do it...so a pipefitter might have a chance! :eek: :lol:

--G
Muchas Gracias, Jorge! After watching the video that Mihalis fjr posted up I am definitely doing this modification, I cannot see what possibly could have caused the top box to dislodge in that movie other than normal acceleration!

I've done the pin and clip mod to all my Givi cases.

It's so simple makes me wonder why it isn't an option.

With the pin in place that case is never gonna come off.

For added security ( against theft ) you can install

it with the clip inside the case.

I also used a thick rubber washer to keep things from rattling.

Pics as requested... :) Parts and pieces came from Lowes.

1/4" hole through the trunk bottom and mount.

TrunkPin3.jpg

Clevis pin with rubber washer top and bottom, hair clip.

TrunkPin2.jpg

Installed! I use the SW-Motech system but the principle is the same with any Givi mount. I considered using a larger fender washer inside the trunk, but it's probably overkill and not needed.

TrunkPin1.jpg

--G

Many thanks for the pictures and instructions George, I still do not understand why Panman remains Niehart's favorite Grandson!

Pics as requested... :) Parts and pieces came from Lowes.

1/4" hole through the trunk bottom and mount.

TrunkPin3.jpg

Clevis pin with rubber washer top and bottom, hair clip.

TrunkPin2.jpg

Installed! I use the SW-Motech system but the principle is the same with any Givi mount. I considered using a larger fender washer inside the trunk, but it's probably overkill and not needed.

TrunkPin1.jpg

--G
Really nice patent..!! ;)

--G
No thankfully I did not have much inside in it, but my next one is going to get 2 M6 bolts with lock nuts and there is no moving it then ;)

Latest posts