Givi SR357 failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The welds look great.. but the questionew is how much grinding :)
I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it may incriminate me!
sleep.png

Got a can of paint on the way home from church today and spiffed up the mount.

IMG_0668_zps9q1gpbfq.jpg

IMG_0670_zpskftbjxez.jpg

It went back on the bike without any issues.

IMG_0671_zps8bmudyfk.jpg

Case seems nice and solid once again.

IMG_0674_zps7fnbvaji.jpg

The extra bracing should help prevent a repeat.

IMG_0680_zpsfgcy87m7.jpg

Overall not a very complex or difficult repair, but it feels good to be able to handle it myself without having to rely on anyone else. Okay, I DID have to ask my friend if I could use his welder, but I did the repairs myself, so it counts!

Very nice job. My next question is what is that silver plastic looking part at the bottom of your last picture that is cracked in half?

Very nice job. My next question is what is that silver plastic looking part at the bottom of your last picture that is cracked in half?
That's the top rim of the tail piece around the tail lights, and I think it's a seam between two adjoining sections. Of course, now you got me worried, so hold on a sec while I go out and check...OK, I can sleep now, it's a seam. Looks like the tail plastic is actually three sections, one on either side and a center section. You can see it in my post above, the photo where I say the mount when back on without any issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just weld some more steel over those plastic seams just to be sure they don't come apart ;) .

Last edited by a moderator: