Givi top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck with the V46. I had one for a year and couldn't keep it from falling apart. At the end, both reflector lenses were held on by duct tape. :huh:

I now have a E52 and love it. I recently looked at the E55's. Nice piece, although I found them really flimsy.
eh?

See that one over there in the Avatar? 11 years old been on two bikes for nearly 100k miles. Is as good as new.

Mebe you got a bad one? If mine fell apart within 2 years, I'd be talking to a Givi dealer, if it fell apart today, I'd go buy another one.

YMMV

You may find the 46 to be a bit small over time. I'd go with 52, which can hold 2 full face +extra stuff. If you buy a topcase, more than likely you wanf to load stuff in. You'll end up bringing more and more and will be happy you went bigger.

Ordered my v46 yesterday from Sport Tour.com and, unbelievably, it arrived this morning. Best price I found, free shipping, and great service. Hard to beat! :p

I have settled on a Givi top case, but not the size. I am going to do some long distance touring, camping along the way and Givi recommend the V46. I had been thinking about going even larger (more room is better), but am interested in hearing from those on this message board. Thanks.
I had my V46 installed by Givi at the 2010 Americade and love it. However, I doubt if I will ever use my bike for camping and if I did I probably would have gone with the larger case. There is a guy on the forum that caught hell from probably over-packing his V46; the key would not turn and he eventually had to take the case to a locksmith to get it opened. This is not a knock on Givi because they will stand by their products and do right by you if you ever have a problem with one of their cases.

I'm a big fan of my latest case sold by twisted throttle. My link

Two different latches for opening and locking to the bike, light package, liner, and remote locking/unlocking all for the price of a similar Givi.

I have the 46 and it is just big enough for the laptop bag and rain gear. That being said, I just finished a month long business trip wearing a jacket and tie every day and all was good. Next one will probably be bigger.

I have settled on a Givi top case, but not the size. I am going to do some long distance touring, camping along the way and Givi recommend the V46. I had been thinking about going even larger (more room is better), but am interested in hearing from those on this message board. Thanks.
I don't camp but when I get into my 'let's ride' mode I usually go for a couple of weeks. Even solo I carry a lot of stuff, including photography equipment. The 52 liter isn't too big.

I struggled mightily with the V46 vs E52 question when I was waiting for my Feej in 2006. The guy at Midwest Motorcycle in Minneapolis put both cases on the counter so I could look at them side by side. I liked the look of the 46 better, but wanted the biggest (at the time). His comment to me was, if you were filling them with liquid, the 52 is 6 liters bigger. But in everyday life, they are close enough that it doesn't matter that much. I bought the V46. So far, so good.

I did get the optional rack for the top. It is a bit heavy, but every once in a while, comes in handy. Just the other day I brought home a couple of tomato cages home, bungeed to the rack. Very easy to overload though. Do not attempt to put a flat of water bottles on it. I know this. No harm done, but very funky.

mr.paul

Ive had no issues with the V46 that came with mine at all other then getting use to the funky way the latch on the thing works. Smooth sailing so far.

Bought the V46 earlier this year and love it. Personally I think the 52 and 55 look a little big on the FJR. Bought mine from SportTour also. Great people and great prices!

I bought the V46 back in '05 because Givi made a cover for it that matched the '05 FJR. Looks good, is fairly light, and very durable. I carry my emergency supplies in it, like duct tape and zip ties, spare gloves, tie downs, rain suit, stuff like that. It still has room for my backpack with my laptop in it and I can squeeze a few more things in there when I have to.

That said, if I were to do it over again I'd buy the E52 or maybe even the 55. Six liters really is a lot more space and it doesn't look bad on the bike. I haven't seen the 55 on an FJR yet but I doubt it looks much different from the 52.

I also have the small luggage rack on top of my V46. I like the way it looks, but almost never put things on it. Anything on that rack sits up very high and catches a lot of air unless you have a pillion sitting in front of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of my latest case sold by twisted throttle. My link

Two different latches for opening and locking to the bike, light package, liner, and remote locking/unlocking all for the price of a similar Givi.
I also got the Coocase 50 liter. Looking at the Givi, by the time you get the case, matching color lid, mounting bracket, etc. Tou were out close to $500. The Coocase was $300 including the mounting bracket, painted lid, running lights, padded liner, remote lock, and alarm. The alarm is admittedly a joke, but the case itself is pretty nice.

Get GIVI 52L. I have one, used it to go on a 22 day trip from Chicago to Alaska. It's perfect.
Was looking at the 46 and 52. I got the 52. Glad I did as it just barely holds our two helmets with the scala's attached. Doesn't look too big for the bike and looks nice with the backrest pad attachment.