Glove box gets stuck, grrr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stagecoach

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new, so I don't know how many times this has been covered in the forum...

I just bought a 2004 non-ABS that I love, but the latch on the glove/stash box is driving me crazy. 9 out of 10 times it sticks and won't open without serious prying. I know that you guys must have a fix (right?) for this annoying problem.

Please stop me before I rip this thing off the hinges. :dribble:

Anybody?

Thanks in advance

Hi, I'm new, so I don't know how many times this has been covered in the forum...

I just bought a 2004 non-ABS that I love, but the latch on the glove/stash box is driving me crazy. 9 out of 10 times it sticks and won't open without serious prying. I know that you guys must have a fix (right?) for this annoying problem.

Anybody?

Thanks in advance
Key on, gearbox in neutral ... problem solved! :rolleyes:

Stagecoach, I have had the problem occasionally as well. It is not necessarily the electric latch, which I disconnected a lonnng time ago. I found, spraying some dry lube in the mechanical latch assy helps.... :)

One of the very first modifications I did to me new '05 was to dig into the tupperware deep enough to dig that cover latch solenoid out and toss it. Very annoying setup if you ask me. I find the glove box(bad nomenclature) to be much more useful if I can use it no matter what state the key and gearbox is in. Get rid of it, try it for a few days and see if you agree.

One of the very first modifications I did to me new '05 was to dig into the tupperware deep enough to dig that cover latch solenoid out and toss it. Very annoying setup if you ask me. I find the glove box(bad nomenclature) to be much more useful if I can use it no matter what state the key and gearbox is in. Get rid of it, try it for a few days and see if you agree.
Gunny!

You'll have to take the left fairing off, make sure you seperate it from the undercarriage. Then the dash panels, which are a pain in the arse. Take the glove box out and take off the solenoid. You can just take it off, then the glove box will always open. Reinstall the dash panels and the left fairing, problem solved. Just dont leave really valuable stuff in there if the bike isn't in sight.

Hi, I'm new, so I don't know how many times this has been covered in the forum...

Anybody?

Thanks in advance
Stagecoach,

Did you know that there is a solenoid on the glovebox that is supposed to keep it locked unless the key is turned on *and* the gearshift is in neutral? I'm guessing that because the bike is new to you and it's an '04 you might not have an owners manual...

Dang...I've NEVER been able to get mine open....ahhh...maybe that's because I don't have one on my 03 :blink:

Seriously....this got me to thinking....I haven't had any reason to pull the plastic off mine in the year I've had it so haven't had the opportunity to look....is there enough room on the '03 to put some kind of storage box in there...or maybe a radio? ( now here did I put the Dremel??? )

Ray

Dang...I've NEVER been able to get mine open....ahhh...maybe that's because I don't have one on my 03 :blink:
Seriously....this got me to thinking....I haven't had any reason to pull the plastic off mine in the year I've had it so haven't had the opportunity to look....is there enough room on the '03 to put some kind of storage box in there...or maybe a radio? ( now here did I put the Dremel??? )

Ray
There is a ton of room under the fairing of an '03 compared to the Gen II bikes. Putting a radio in might be tricky if you want it to be protected from the elements (rain). I would put any audio under the seat or in a tank bag, IMHO. I'm not sure how you would configure a storage box, but there is room if you cut away at one of the black panels and fabricate something to cover the opening. When I had my '03 I wished that I had a storage box like on the newer bikes. Now that I have an '06 I never use the darn thing. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Anybody?

Thanks in advance
Stagecoach,

Did you know that there is a solenoid on the glovebox that is supposed to keep it locked unless the key is turned on *and* the gearshift is in neutral? I'm guessing that because the bike is new to you and it's an '04 you might not have an owners manual...
You win a cookie!

I don't have the manual, and the previous owner told me the ignition had to be on, but didn't mention that the gearbox had to be in neutral

Thank you, I knew there had to be an easy solution.

Force it open too many times and you will have a glove box that you can not close. :assassin: I have put a latch on to hold it closed and removed the solinoid. The onl way I can make it work right is to buy a new glove box.

Rip it off the hinges.
Maybe this guy can help...

Gunner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I must have used mine way too often because after a while I had to force mine open. It finally broke and I had to replace it with a new box. Second works great... just like the old one before it broke...

Seriously....this got me to thinking....I haven't had any reason to pull the plastic off mine in the year I've had it so haven't had the opportunity to look....is there enough room on the '03 to put some kind of storage box in there...or maybe a radio? ( now where did I put the Dremel??? )

Ray
There is a ton of room under the fairing of an '03 compared to the Gen II bikes. Putting a radio in might be tricky if you want it to be protected from the elements (rain). I would put any audio under the seat or in a tank bag, IMHO. I'm not sure how you would configure a storage box, but there is room if you cut away at one of the black panels and fabricate something to cover the opening. When I had my '03 I wished that I had a storage box like on the newer bikes. Now that I have an '06 I never use the darn thing. :blink:

Don't think I'm really ready to start attacking my bike with the Dremel just yet but it has gotten me thinking. I've got this old 84 Venture sitting around, not drivable right now, that has a stereo and comm system....also been looking at that nice big top box.....even wondering if that air adjustable rear shock might fit.... :rolleyes:

Seriously, other than the morning news and weather reports I don't really miss the radio... My wife thinks a top box messes up the lines of the bike, and even if it would fit I doubt that shock would be any improvement. Eventually I might come up with something useful to put in that space. :D

Ray