Going rates for 16,000 mile service?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zip.. unfourtunatly Alan is right they are on another planet in the pricing game. Watch out they also own a few other stealerships under different signage. Take Russ's advise with G&G heard good things If you need some help I'm not too far away. I also have the factory service manual (05) if you need some info.

Wow, I need to check around. I asked the dealer I use for service how much to check the valves. They told me around $600 just for that. I'm thinking they are fine!!!

My local indy shop estimated just under 600 for the valve check/adj, and they're a bargain on most things. I do routine maint/lube/oil/FD fluid. I still have a shop do the more intrusive stuff. For me, that includes brake/clutch fluid changes. No valve check specified at 16K for me, only notable departures are swingarm pivot bearing service and coolant change . I had swingarm pivot magical bearing service done at my local shop for $215 earlier this week. Still haven't done the coolant. I'm still figuring out whether I want to do that properly, have someone else do it, or just suction the reservoir and refill with premix every day for a week until I could convince a jury of my peers that there was mostly fresh juice in there. Leaning toward door number three.

Last edited by a moderator:
If all the valves are in spec (as I would expect in the first 16,000 miles), the valve check shouldn't be much more than a couple hundred bucks. I guess a bit more if you include new coolant and a throttle body sync. If shims need replacement, I wouldn't say that $600 is awful but no bargain. Quite a bit more work by someone other than a shop monkey is needed to do this right.

I think I saw it, recognized it as old, and then saw it again forgetting I was in a search and plunged in without recognizing it. Op's probably got over 120K now. 16K service at time of thread origination was probably eight dollars and a bottle of YooHoo.

Fred W posted: 7 year old zombie thread resuscitated!!

.... because, like many, many threads around here, there's good stuff in it.

Good lord! I just got quoted $1200 on the 26,600 valve check by the stealership closest to the house. Plus parts! And that is just for the valve check, it's another $360 for the 4K increment... Plus parts!

How on earth did you restrain your laughter. They must be high on something.
This place used to be reasonable; and by "reasonable", I mean "not batshit crazy". I think they were quoting a little over $800 for the valve check and a 4K service combined a year or so back. Maybe they want me to buy a new bike, rather than spend over $1700 for service on mine. Maybe they can suck it....

Update: I emailed the owner yesterday, expressing my shock, and the general manager wrote back, apologizing and stating that the estimator had used an industry standard labor quoting system that was "way off". The price dropped from $1560 to $966, but that is for the valve check and the 600 mile check. That latter piece is not only long ago, but also much more limited than I am wanting, as my bike has over 27K miles on it. So I appreciated the $600 drop, (while at the same time wondering what happens for those folks that don't write emails to the owner), but am going to circle back and ask to have the 24K check and the valves done, for that price.

I got a quote of for a 16K service of $1900. Said it would rejuvenate the bike. That won't rejuvenate my wallet. Does that sound right to anybody? Every service after that would be between $400 - $1000 from the next few services. Should I just buy a new bike every time I need it serviced?

Just had my 16K service done at a dealer near Seattle.  Did the full Yamaha checklist for service (except for coolant change as I did myself) for $1,000 out the door. 

I am actually looking forward to doing my first 16,000 mi service in a few weeks (at 20k). I have a nice/clean/heated garage where I installed some hooks in the ceiling so that the rear end can be suspended when the time comes. The only thing I dread is cutting one of the bolts so that I can avoid removing the exhaust system...but it's a great (and only) way to truly get to know your bike

Mortenk

Be careful when you suspend this pig of a bike. Use a substantial front wheel chock to keep the top heavy front end from plopping to one side. It has happened before, just ask Scooter! 

Also, be sure the rafters in your garage is strong enough to take the dynamic weight with your working on your bike. Remember, safety first! You will be placing yourself under this suspended load.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Brodie

😁

Mortenk

Be careful when you suspend this pig of a bike. Use a substantial front wheel chock to keep the top heavy front end from plopping to one side. It has happened before, just ask Scooter! 

Also, be sure the rafters in your garage is strong enough to take the dynamic weight with your working on your bike. Remember, safety first! You will be placing yourself under this suspended load.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Brodie

😁
Thanks for the heads up Brodie! I will make sure the bike is very stable before I lift the rear end. I have been told that I don't need to lift it by more than a few inches. Rafters should be no problem as it's a 3-story house with the garage right under the living room...