Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran outa likes again...
This place is gayer than Odot and Carver for that shit

Rant on Cock sucking motherfuckers!! Get a fukin clue here U can like more than 3 posts you assholes!
Calm down shit for brains or that electronic gizmo is gonna kick your ass again. just type in the like or a smiley thingy or in your case a sheeps ass

Ha!! My pills are working.. My kids posted my displeasure you fuking goat fuk

I'm from the midwest, where we are still allowed to beat the shit out of our kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
finally got around to doing the dark side thing on the FJR today. I would post a picture but it's a pain in the ass I've never figured out with any real success. I'm on the second car tire on the wing so I guess the KLR is next.
smile.png
Got you covered Ray. I wouldn't do that for just anyone, but I've known you a while now. Surprised it took so long and I hope it works well for you. You're #84.

www.tinypic.com works for me on posting pictures to forums w/o too much stress. Even gives you the IMG file so you can just copy and paste strait into your forum post.

tinypic is a good representation of Rays "Private parts" Eric.. Just proves tiny dicks jump on the dark wagon after the man sausages.

Bearded pussy anyway.

[img=[URL="https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/141913-going-to-the-dark-side/"]https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/141913-going-to-the-dark-side/[/URL]
2ps21ar.jpg
]

Where them girls at!

Just ordered a Yokohama Avid Envigor P205/50R17 ($117.40 shipped) to put on the rear wheel I secured from Ignacio.

Still need the brake bar but should be number worthy by summer.

OK I caved - I didn't want to deal with the logistics involved in figuring out where to stage my spare wheel again in July. Put a G-Max on this weekend and took it for a spin. I'm reserving judgement for a few more weeks of experience and until I finish reading the billion posts in this thread. I can tell it is back there, especially when I come out of a hard corner and lay off the throttle. I feel like I'm getting a little shimmy as the tire straightens itself back out if that makes sense. I'm at 32 psi and I'm going to bump that up a couple more to see if I notice a difference.

IMG_1219.JPG

Big thanks to everyone before me that has figured all this stuff out so I could just steal it and run!

OK I caved - I didn't want to deal with the logistics involved in figuring out where to stage my spare wheel again in July. Put a G-Max on this weekend and took it for a spin. I'm reserving judgement for a few more weeks of experience and until I finish reading the billion posts in this thread. I can tell it is back there, especially when I come out of a hard corner and lay off the throttle. I feel like I'm getting a little shimmy as the tire straightens itself back out if that makes sense. I'm at 32 psi and I'm going to bump that up a couple more to see if I notice a difference.
Big thanks to everyone before me that has figured all this stuff out so I could just steal it and run!
I'd suggest leaving it at 32psi until you have tried it some more.

I just did a 54-Hour rally on my G-Max, the first real running it has had. Add to that the distance to the start and back and that's 3500 miles, much of it in really awful wet weather. I was very pleased to have the extra traction back there, and I can brake much harder on the rear now.

The single instance where I noticed a difference was in slow-speed situations ... like when you pull off the road for a bonus location, then when you cross the small "hump" at an angle, the tire will try to stand the bike up, if that makes sense. You get used to it but it's a bit disconcerting the first time it happens.

The on-road manners were just fine.

The single instance where I noticed a difference was in slow-speed situations ... like when you pull off the road for a bonus location, then when you cross the small "hump" at an angle, the tire will try to stand the bike up, if that makes sense. You get used to it but it's a bit disconcerting the first time it happens.
The on-road manners were just fine.
I found that pretty much was the only really noticeable time for me also. In fact, it actually rides much better than the Yoko I had on my GoldWing (which had a really bad tendency to track in the ruts).

Agreed ... The tracking in the ruts is simply a feature of only one wheel on the rear axle. Cars have two and a lot more lateral stability. That said, the G-Max behaves no worse than m/c tires in that respect.

looking to become a DS on my FJR. Is there anyone looking to sell a Rear rim (w or w/o tire)?

Also other then a brake bar and a good tire (General G-MAX AS-03 Radial Tire - 205/50R17) will I need anything else ?

TIA Cil

I don't know if anything has changed in the past few years but when I was looking for a spare wheel for my 08 in 2011 all I could find were '07 and newer versions with the old ABS system... I think your '14 should be the same as the '08 and newer Gen II's so maybe they are getting more available?? Someone will need to confirm. I totaled that 08 a few months after I bought a new spare wheel from the dealership
upset.gif
and I was tempted to buy it back from the insurance company because I knew what that wheel was worth!

I can confirm that a new/modified brake bar is all you'll need besides the tire.

thanks everyone for all the information..

placed order of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S and Carmine's Custom Cycles FJR CT Rear Brake Bar

Agreed ... The tracking in the ruts is simply a feature of only one wheel on the rear axle. Cars have two and a lot more lateral stability. That said, the G-Max behaves no worse than m/c tires in that respect.
I would disagree with this Twigg. The CT is affected by ruts considerably more than MTs are. At least by my experience.

BTW, I just ordered my 3rd CT for this bike of mine. First one (Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus) got swapped for a new one last spring prior to that lil' ride in NV. Had about 37K on it. Could put a few K more on it but I didn't want to risk it. Anyways this past weekend I noticed the tread was noticably lacking. Far less left than what was on the 1st tire (I just compared the two). Went to Discount Tire and asked them to check with a gauge, and it was borderline yellow/red. Ordered a new BFGoodrich G-Force.

Kinda surprised me that 2nd Mich PS+ only lasted just shy of 30K.

I quess I could change tires less if I just rode less.

Nawwwwww

I would disagree with this Twigg. The CT is affected by ruts considerably more than MTs are. At least by my experience.

BTW, I just ordered my 3rd CT for this bike of mine. First one (Mich Pilot Sport A/S Plus) got swapped for a new one last spring prior to that lil' ride in NV. Had about 37K on it. Could put a few K more on it but I didn't want to risk it. Anyways this past weekend I noticed the tread was noticably lacking. Far less left than what was on the 1st tire (I just compared the two). Went to Discount Tire and asked them to check with a gauge, and it was borderline yellow/red. Ordered a new BFGoodrich G-Force.

Kinda surprised me that 2nd Mich PS+ only lasted just shy of 30K.

I quess I could change tires less if I just rode less.

Nawwwwww
I have ridden my entire life on m/c tires. This last few days I put 4000 miles on the G-Max, my first experience of a car tire on a motorcycle. I rode interstates and dirt roads, good surfaces and poor and never felt the rear skip any more than the previous tires.

Maybe it's just me, all I can do is report what I found. I don't ride fast. I don't corner like ... a person who wears tires to the edge. Maybe that's the difference.

I was surprised just how well a car tire did in gravel when I first attempted it several years ago. It added a measure is of stability I find lacking in a round cross section tire.

Brodie

:)

I was surprised just how well a car tire did in gravel when I first attempted it several years ago. It added a measure is of stability I find lacking in a round cross section tire.
Brodie

What I will say is that the car tire does not like transitions very much. If you cross a small ridge getting back onto the hard top, or ride off onto grass (I do at home), the tire seems to want to "stand the bike up".

This is easily anticipated and easily managed, but it is different and could catch out the unwary.

Brodie

What I will say is that the car tire does not like transitions very much. If you cross a small ridge getting back onto the hard top, or ride off onto grass (I do at home), the tire seems to want to "stand the bike up".

This is easily anticipated and easily managed, but it is different and could catch out the unwary.
I saw "m/t". I thought you might have meant CT. And that is what I was referring to. The car tire is affected more by what you just described. No way around that. The edge of the tire is far more removed from center. But as you implied, as you get used to the tire, you can easily overlook this characteristic of the tire. But it is there.

And as Brodie stated, I find the rear end less squirrelly in gravel. Just so long as it's not rutted by logging trucks, or sumsuchthing.

But hey I'm not complaining; I will be mounting my 3rd pretty soon here.