Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has any of you fine folks ever used the Douglas performance all season that's only sold at Wal-Mart? The tire is on sale for $65 and they have tons of stock. Almost makes doing darkside worth the experiment for that price

I guess the deafening sound of silence would indicate that, no, no one had tried the Douglas performance all season tire yet. Did you? If so, what's your opinion of it?

That would be This Tire

I do see anything that would indicate it being a poor choice. Tread is highway oriented, pattern looks just fine and the shoulders round off nicely, though not as much as some we have tried.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have another Darksider addition to the Brethren; Kawman 10 has ben darksiding for several months, but just contacted me with pictures to get his number. Welcome to the Darkside Kawman 10, you have been added to the Darksider list as #91.

This threads been dormant for awhile. Its 2018 and some of the more popular tires are discontinued or out of stock. G max and of course the Exalto, and a few more.

So what is the general consensus on CT selection these days. Any favorites?

Thanks for your thoughts.

how is this still a thing?
weirdsmiley.gif

It's still a thing because Darksiding makes good sense for those of us that do a lot of highway miles. I'd LOVE to do it, but I have no space for tire changing equipment, no nearby buddies with tire changing equipment, and all the tire stores refuse to put a CT on a motorbike.

PS: Rolled the odometer over 60,000 miles this past Sunday. (For you, Barb, that's 96,560.64 km.)

I'm going back to the m/c tire tonight. Apparently Bushtec didn't take in to consideration that a few fools would run anything other than a standard tire. Can't seem to get it all to fit together. Oh well.

weirdsmiley.gif
Because, just like in the beginning, it works. It's not for everyone, but it meets the needs of some and isn't all that hard to do, or much different from running a moto tire.

Pay no attention to the man behind the green curtain...

It's still a thing because Darksiding makes good sense for those of us that do a lot of highway miles. I'd LOVE to do it, but I have no space for tire changing equipment, no nearby buddies with tire changing equipment, and all the tire stores refuse to put a CT on a motorbike.
I'm sure someone will mount a car tire on your side car wheel if you take it in off the bike. Aside from the first attempt, I never had to do it myself or use a friend.

Most indi HD shops will do it, or Wing oriented shops. Places that sell trikes, etc.

OCfjr wrote:Because, just like in the beginning, it works. It's not for everyone, but it meets the needs of some and isn't all that hard to do, or much different from running a moto tire.
Michelin Pilot Exalto = 43,000 miles

24-36 Hour Rallies: several

Grand Tours: several

Iron Butt Rallies: 2

Not having to worry about a rear tire: Priceless
smile.png

Well... I've perused most of the pages here over the years.

And not a one of the Darksiders has died a flaming horrible death. So much for you naysayers.

no.gif
lol.gif
finger.gif

weirdsmiley.gif
I'm not nearly the mile gatherer as Hud, irish phil and many others but a couple times a year I enjoy heading east to the coast. No better place for fresh seafood, eh? See, the coastal regions here aren't like up north or out west where the mtns run right up to the ocean. Here the straight-n-flat of gazillion y/o sand dunes extends inland for at least 130 miles. Running a car tire in that makes perfect sense to me.

I'm sure someone will mount a car tire on your side car wheel if you take it in off the bike. Aside from the first attempt, I never had to do it myself or use a friend.

Most indi HD shops will do it, or Wing oriented shops. Places that sell trikes, etc.
No one within 50 or 60 miles of me will install a car tire anymore. I've always showed up with wheel & tire in hand, tried the sidecar explanation. Even the trike shops and the Honda dealer (Gold Wing) refuse to do it. Seems there are lots of folks out there either blowing themselves up installing them or dying horrible flaming deaths because of them. I imagine I'll quit using ct's when I use up my current one. I have tire changing equipment but never fail to screw it up horribly then pay someone else to do it anyway.

I am sure it is safe etc...blah blah blah, but I guess for me the whole cost vs whatever thing escapes me.

If I had to worry about the cost of consumables for any of my vehicular conveyances, it would be a good indicator not to have that conveyance. YMMV

That reminds me......I gotta order a set of tires LOL

I am sure it is safe etc...blah blah blah, but I guess for me the whole cost vs whatever thing escapes me.
If I had to worry about the cost of consumables for any of my vehicular conveyances, it would be a good indicator not to have that conveyance. YMMV

For me the cost wasn't a big thing, it was the inconvenience. Every time a big ride came up, I would have a tire with a couple of thousand left on it and a 3 to 4 thousand mile trip planned. I've thrown away a lot of tire that is mostly worn out, but might have lasted longer.

For me the cost wasn't a big thing, it was the inconvenience. Every time a big ride came up, I would have a tire with a couple of thousand left on it and a 3 to 4 thousand mile trip planned. I've thrown away a lot of tire that is mostly worn out, but might have lasted longer.
I can hear the squeeeeeeeeek from here

*smootch*

I guess if you ever have the misfortune to be in a place where it is difficult for you to afford the "consumables" you will just give up and sit in a chair the rest of your life. I prefer to find a way to do the "consumable" things cheaply and continue to ride.

We've all been there too many times, but a new MC tire will put more smiles on your face on that big ride.

I can hear the squeeeeeeeeek from here

*smootch*
Ah the financially arrogant, you gotta love them.

Barb, I agree with you 100%

Cost Has never been a factor. I should mention this vehicular conveyance is a rally bike. It is only ridden to, from, and in rallies. I do

have other conveyances for non rally related pleasures.

A CT in the IBR's made sense for me. While riders were scrambling around in the chaos of the parking lot of a checkpoint hotel, using

borrowed tools in inclement weather, I was sleeping. I like sleep.

I was averaging 6K per rear moto tire. Unfortunately rallies didn't come at 6K intervals, So never wanting to start a rally wondering if

there was enough rubber to finish, the garage was full of tires with 1K-2K on them.

So, Its still a thing to me.
smile.png

OH! the 1400USD (1 bazillion CDN) I saved bought a lot of trail mix and gatorade. Just kidding ya' Eh?

Latest posts