Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried it, dont hate it.
Pretty much as expected.

Definitely different, just need to focus a bit more.

Really don't notice it on the highway.

More steady pressure when turning, almost feels like it's pushing the front slightly.
Agree and to add that the initial turn is is harder but then it falls in afterwards. Got 15,000 miles on mine so far. Will need to replace soon. Left side getting close to bald middle is just about to ware bars. Right side has lots of tread. I always wear out left side of bike tires front and back due to riding lots of two lane roads.

Timely....

bought a new car tire. My first was the General G-Max AS-03. Good tire. Next was a leftover Michelin Exalto. Also good. Now I'm going with a Riken Raptor ZR A/s 205/50ZR17. We'll see.

Tried it, dont hate it.More steady pressure when turning, almost feels like it's pushing the front slightly.

Canadian FJR
Thanks Canadian, you answered my question. I’v darksided a Vstrom and combined with its vague front feedback, it really felt like it was pushing the front in the twisties. A lot! I actually declined a fj1200 group ride in Tellico for that reason. I was okay with it in normal commuting, and riding etc but that ct amplified the deficiencies of the big Strom. I suspect it would do better on the FJR.

Just got some info from a fellow Darksider on the Super Tenere forum. Super Tens run a narrower wheel and although there are some VStrom Darksiders running the 205/50-17 size, I have not been comfortable running that size on a wheel narrower than the tire is rated for. Recently narrower tires in 17" have started to become available in the US. One, called the Economist has been out for a while and he tried this, as well as a side car rider on the Super Ten forum. Both experienced less tread life than we are accustomed to here. My Super Ten friend is now running a Bridgestone Potenza 175/55-17 RE-040 and had this to say about it:

"I found a car tire that feels good.. Bridgestone Potenza 175/55-17 fits better than the economist and rides real nice from mile 1. not as square as others. On the street you wouldn't know it isn't a basic motorcycle tire at 30 psi. even has the dakar stripe, rotation mark, and valve stem balance mark. I dont think i will ever go back."

LINK

The comment about the dakar stripe is in reference to one of the previously favored moto tires, the Mitas E07 Dakar that had a yellow strip to indicate it was the Dakar version with stiffer side walls instead of the normal E07. The E07 Dakar is no longer available in the Super Ten size. (I got 17k miles from a rear E07 Dakar)

So, I may return to Darksiding now that a suitable tire is available. First I have another set of tires to wear out though. For those here, I suspect some may wish to try the narrower tire as an alternative to the proven 205/50-17 size, thus my sharing this info. I have also added the info to the Darksider FAQ under what size to use, with a note in red.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would be interesting to try. I assume you could do it without the modified brake stay. I said I was done with the darkside but I will be watching this - cost, handling and longevity.

When I first started doing this the 205 tire I first test fit barely rubbed the brake stay. So yes, I suspect you could fit the 175 width tire w/o a modified brake stay, but we won't know for sure until someone on an FJR tries it and reports back. It's still a wider than stock tire and CTs tend to fit slightly different to the moto wheel than to a car wheel due to the deeper bead seat.

When I first started doing this the 205 tire I first test fit barely rubbed the brake stay. So yes, I suspect you could fit the 175 width tire w/o a modified brake stay, but we won't know for sure until someone on an FJR tries it and reports back. It's still a wider than stock tire and CTs tend to fit slightly different to the moto wheel than to a car wheel due to the deeper bead seat.
Good info, thanks for that.

Just to confirm, the exact tire you're talking about here is: Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (175/55-17)

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/potenza-re050a

No, the tire you link to on the AU site is slightly different. (there are a lot of different Potenza tires. This is the one being used here: LINK It is a Bridgestone Potenza RE040.

Bridgestone does not appear to show it on their US site or the AU site.

US Ebay Link

AU Ebay Link A painfully expensive tyre for reasons unknown, (imported from Italy, perhaps?). I typically look for an all season choice, but anything in the 175/55 R17 size has potential. The RE040 is a Summer performance tyre.

You may want to inquire with your local Bridgestone auto tyre dealer and see what they can get it for.

Stock tire is 180 width so this one should be slightly narrower...

Still, you cannot be sure until you try.

The LINK to the Tenere site only works if you are a member and signed in.

The RE050A is an asymmetric tread design. The RE040 is symmetrical.

Stock tire is 180 width so this one should be slightly narrower...Still, you cannot be sure until you try.

The LINK to the Tenere site only works if you are a member and signed in.

The RE050A is an asymmetric tread design. The RE040 is symmetrical.
Ross, this is why I was trying to confirm.

I've just mounted this tire but will keep investigating the RE040...

Toyo%20IMG_2383.jpg

Timely....
bought a new car tire. My first was the General G-Max AS-03. Good tire. Next was a leftover Michelin Exalto. Also good. Now I'm going with a Riken Raptor ZR A/s 205/50ZR17. We'll see.
I been riding on this for a few weeks now. At 31 psi it seemed slushy so last weekend I pumped it up to 35. Much better, less wobble when passing over seams. Rides and handles about the same as the General G-Max As-03 I started with.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lz5zqf8sp5xjbn/Riken%20Raptor.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqhf515dhlj0jcx/Riken%20Raptor%20on%20Bike.jpg?dl=0

Hello again gentlemen/ladies,

I just purchased a spare wheel for my VFR1200 so I can take a ride on the darkside. I have been to skeered to attempt before now but am getting tired of the hassle and expense of low mileage mc tires.

I have done 'lots' of reading both here and on other sites as well. Just looking for an up to date recommendation for tire and size from the experts.

The stock tire size is 190/55/17 on a 6" rim. Some others have suggested; Achilles ATR-K Economist 195/45/17 @ a whopping $55 and the Yokohama S drive in the same size for $112. From the site the Riken Raptor ZR a/s looks good...sizes: 205/50/17 or 205/45/17 priced in the $70's.

Thoughts and help on which tire to try is much appreciated.

The Bridgestone Potenza RE040 in 175/55R17 will work better than the ATR-K Economist or Yokohama S drive in that size. There is an ebay link in my post above. In the 205 width, The G-Max has a good rep. The Riken Raptor ZR is not fully known yet. Have you read thru the Darksider FAQ?

Thank you for your response. Yes I did read the FAQ but thanx for pointing it out in case I had not. If you have any other suggestions for reading, it would be appreciated. I also read quite a bit of the thread(not all 215 pages). I was just wanting to make sure I understood and had latest info. I am mostly ignorant and have no experience with this subject.

Why would the 175/55 be better on the 6" rim that has a stock 190/55 mc tire? Seems like the tire would not be wide enough for the rim and the 195/45 would be closer to a match. Some are running the 205 width which is quite a bit different than the 175.

I am only gonna get one shot at trying the car tire and don't want an ill informed decision regarding the tire to negatively influence the experience. The tire that would be most like a mc tire would be the preference over longevity. Hell if the tire would suffice and give me 5000 miles I would be tickled.

Keep in mind that the CT is wider than an equal number size moto tire. It sits on the rim beads differently as well. I wanted you to know which tire in the 175 size is better, if you decided to use that size. Not knowing the details of your bike, I don't know where clearance issues are. Some bikes have clearance issues at the inside corners of the swing arm. Check out the diameters of the tires and sizes you are interested in. Compare those to the moto tire size you normally use. Note the widths on a 6" wheel as well, comparing to the space you have. It won't be an exact thing, you won't know for sure until you try it and find out. You're breaking new ground with the VFR1200.

I'm not saying the 175 would be "better" than the 205 width. 205s are easier to find in a wider selection of types. I preferred an all season rated tire in the 400 or so tread wear rating. That gave me around 40k of tread life for my riding style on the FJR. I'm just saying consider both sizes for your bike and choose what you feel will work best. What I did at the beginning of this experiment is to buy a used tire in the size I chose and mount that up for a real world test fit. Cheap tire, low cost if it was a failure or simply wouldn't fit. Turned out to fit, tire was shit, but proved the concept so I bought a better tire and ran that for 36k before changing it out a little early do to an upcoming trip.

I personally would not run a 195/45 tire. The reason is that the 45 means a lower profile tire, less rubber between the wheel and the road, (I.E. shorter sidewall), so less ability to flex as you lean. 205/50 is more common and offers better, more bike like, lean feel. I started with the 205 width because it was the narrowest common size available. On the FJR, it had several results, including making the speedo read accurately, though the odo was then slightly off. Speedo read low on moto tires on the FJR.

The 175 has only just become available. It's still wider than a 180/55-17 moto tire when it's sitting on a moto wheel. Not sure about your 190/55 size.

If you're getting less than 5k out of Sport Touring tires like the Michelin PR series, some of that is in the wrist too.

I just got 10k miles from a Pirelli Angel GT. You should be able to match that mileage with the VFR or do better. Pilot Road 5 or PR 5 GT should do well also. Metzeler Tourance NEXT was another good performer on the FJR.

Just like bike tires, CTs have different feel and handling characteristics too.