Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darksider #2 reporting in.

I've changed the name of the bike to Whiskey as in Whiskey Tango Foxtrot which is the first thing anyone says when they see the CT.

Almost 5000 Km so far on our trip to CFR,

My Diabolo Strada Extended front is starting to flat spot, Diana's Diabolo Strada Extended rear on her Versys is definitely flat spotted.

The CT profile is starting to round :lol: , no measurable wear in the center, looks like it will be good for the whole trip up to Fairbanks and back.

Let the bike loose on the twisties yesterday's, took no prisoners, more worried about the front washing out than the rear breaking loose.

Oh it also works really well in the dirt.

Chris

I've looked over the discussion and would like to know what the difference in mpg is running the ct.

So far I am not seeing an appreciable difference in the mpg between the two, this could be a function of riding fairly hard where the mpg suffers anyway but I am around 40-43 either way
thank for the reply. I'm thinking of giving this a shot next tire swap. For my riding style this would be perfect.

got some video of the ttire, not great but ok, was going to post to utube , still figuring it out, was cutting a 30 min piece into threee 10 min and the software I was using turned a 300M avi file into a 12G avi file lol, another case of equipment smarter than operator. really hammered the curves today and felt a little sway in the back end, but I also havent balanced the tire yet and I was near triple digits, balance is next on my list today, hope yalls day is going well

I am helping out Mr. Coastalcop by posting some pics for him.

The Car Tire Mounted:

mounted.jpg

A comparison of the Car Tire with a Moto Tire:

comparision.jpg

A Close-up showing the clearance of the Car Tire:

clearance.jpg

My sincere thanks to doug for posting those pics for me. Had a bit of a surprise today, seems I was too stupid to get the hint when the bike shut off switching into 1st gear. I restarted and I was on my way until a nice left hander when the fj decided to shut off then on then off then on, created quite an wave in the ride. had hit happen a couple more times and onthe side of the road I was. Some troubleshooting (I didnt kick it) found the sidestand switch stuck right at the crux of on/off ... cycled it through a couple of times with the bike on the center stand and no more issues. So either it was providence or a bad sidestand switch. Darkside held up fine though the on/off switch in the powerband did create comparitively more rear end sway than a moto tire. FYI

BTW who can tell me how to bypass the sidestand switch my search fu sucks tonight

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked over the discussion and would like to know what the difference in mpg is running the ct.
Sorry, was away from the house, (actually still in Nakusp, B.C.). No noticeable difference in mpg with the CT. I thought maybe I'd lose a mpg or two, but I suffer more loss from the E10 ethanol mix than from the CT.

BugR - The moment Chris opened his mount and spoke, I understood his forum handle much better! :lol:

Catfish - You are Darksider #5. So it is proclaimed. Go forth and ride. Your friend is #6 if you mounted them both up.

Peace out from Nakusp.

My sincere thanks to doug for posting those pics for me. Had a bit of a surprise today, seems I was too stupid to get the hint when the bike shut off switching into 1st gear. I restarted and I was on my way until a nice left hander when the fj decided to shut off then on then off then on, created quite an wave in the ride. had hit happen a couple more times and onthe side of the road I was. Some troubleshooting (I didnt kick it) found the sidestand switch stuck right at the crux of on/off ... cycled it through a couple of times with the bike on the center stand and no more issues. So either it was providence or a bad sidestand switch. Darkside held up fine though the on/off switch in the powerband did create comparitively more rear end sway than a moto tire. FYI

BTW who can tell me how to bypass the sidestand switch my search fu sucks tonight
yep, run ya way up the wire from the switch (don't remember if I had to prop up the tank)

there's a black connector from the wireing harness to the switch wires either behind the left side plastic or under the tank

(I think I remember pulling up the tank)

pull the connector and jump the two terminals on the harness side with a sliver of wire; I pushed the connector back lightly for future fix

first spray the switch plunger well with contact cleaner (Radio Shack spray can is OK)...that got my cruiser another year of operation on both the side stand switch and also the clutch position switch.

do not leave it that way...I did too long and twice forgot it scraping and bouncing along with potential crash coming. Then it was truthfully reported to me that a rider forgot his and rode right out of the gas station to the on ramp and pulled hard left to enter the highway right lane. High sided and slammed himself over the bike to the right into the asphalt. Not pretty.

Ordered a replacement switch that day. It's a pain to get to the flush philips screw that's up against the pipe, but it's doable on a stone cold bike. A right angle ratchet screwdriver is your friend here. Got mine at sears.

My switch failed internally and I needed to purchase another ($35 or so).

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Last edited by a moderator:
******STATUS REPORT******

DARKSIDER #6 It's official the "" Tire"" is mounted on the rim and the rim is attached to the motorcycle bolts tightened and with the exception of photographs and a test ride i am finished.....

OK, I took Dark Side Bike #6 for a little spin today.

Much better than mine (#5).

I need to pull my shock and send it back to Penske.

It does have about 30,000 miles on it by now.

Whatever, back to the CT.

I jumped on DS #6 (my old '04) and ran about 6 miles up the road (and 6 miles back).

A few miles of parkway, then I took some surface streets.

I went out of my way to hit every type of road surface I could.

Tar Snakes - Fine!

Pot Holes - Fine!

Lane Seems - Fine!

Road Patches - A little different!

Out here on the Sand Bar the street surface is kinda like the moon's surface.

When they actually patch a pot hole they fill it with asphalt about 3" higher than the rest of the road and let us pack it down with our tires over time.

If you hit one of those it seemed to "grab" the wheel a little bit differently than with a a moto tire.

Not a big deal once you know it was coming but just something that was nice to know about.

Another thing I noticed was that like Eric mentioned it took a little more effort while turning but when finishing a turn and getting back straight again it felt like it "snapped" back in line.

Again, not a big deal once you know it was coming.

On the parkway on the way back I wicked it up to about, oh, twice the speed limit.

No issues, rock solid.

My shock is coming off this week and going in for service.

I'd Love to get it back by next weekend.

Not that I have off on the weekends but at least if the postal service can get it back to me I won't have to wait the extra day or two.

Another thing, mounting these on my Coats rim clamp machine is easier than getting food poisoning in Moscow!

It's like playing ring toss.

They almost mount themselves!

OK, maybe not THAT easy but WAY easier than mounting a Gold Wing tire.

Front or rear!

Did everybody see the cool brake caliper arm that Carmine made?

Carmine's_Custom_Cycles.jpg

If you can't read the engraving it says "Carmine's Custom Cycles, NY".

OK, that's all for now.

G'night all.

Looking good Catfish. Thanks for posting your initial ride report. Some of the snap back feeling should go away after the tire wears in a bit. I didn't really notice it with the 019 Grid, but do recall it being there with the Cooper test tire. I'd forgotten all about it. Perhaps something to do with sidewall stiffness, or maybe it was there and I just didn't note it on the 019 when it was new.

It's 3:23 am here in N.Y. and I just got back from a short test ride " 80 OR SO MILES " I rode the bike last night in the rain like 3 miles because I am a stubborn fool and couldn't resist! Then I put another 10 miles on it this afternoon without to much ajusting to my riding style. I was easy on it testing the limits of what I felt comfortable with. My conclusions are a bit mixed. At first I really hated the way the new tire handled at parking lot speed but now I am quickly growing to like the sharp response I get to my control inputs. As far as tracking on surface streets yup its a wee bit wander prone but nuthing I didnt expect and the same as any bike with a wide tire 200 series or better. Highways are where I saw the greatest improvement with one noted positive side effect. If I released my bars during decel, my front end would develop a shimmy. Not a horrible Oh My God Im gonna die shimmy just enough to make it real difficult to dig thru my tank bag and fish out my smokes. But as soon as u placed the slightest pressure on the bars it would dissapear. today while rifling thru my bag to retrieve my ipod I noticed the shimmy has dissapeared. The twisties I encountered today where not the most thrilling but they did offer me a chance to build confidence in my new rubber. It took a bit more pressure to get her down and into the turn but she handled perfectly as always. In conclusion I am all for the darkside I am not about to take her on a track and pull turns at triple digits but after almost 100 miles on the new tire I can barely tell the difference any more, and can barely wait to start putting some real miles on the new tire. Going to Maryland somtime this week and most likely it will be a wet trip.