Going to the Dark Side

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeeze guys, this isn't a life long commitment here, it's just a tire. Tires wear out, we try something new or stick with one we liked, etc.

In the FAQ there are some listed that changed back to MC tires. For some this is a specific trip need, for others it's about the budget and some of us just prefer the grip and go anywhere ability of the CT over a Moto tire.

Some say POS CT.... :lol: :lol: As if we all don't know of multiple POS motorcycle tires that we'd never put on our bikes again! You can't give me a RoadSmart, but some love them. Go figure.

Some riders do have a CT wheel and a Moto tire wheel, choosing to swap for different reasons. heck, some riders on this forum have a CT equipped FJR and a second, moto tire equipped FJR to suit their needs! That's too extreme for me, but it works for them.

Ross - no harm, no foul, but at the end of the day, you tried something new and can personally share your opinion. You have added to the knowledge base here and I thank you for that. I hope you will continue to share your first hand experience and opinions, including how you feel when you swap back to the moto tire and where that takes you. :good:

My issues is why you would put something that handles worse in the twisties than a mcy tire? Sure, you can ride it in the twisties and some crazy nutter on a car tire can race another on an mcy tire and they can go fast. But besides some sort of longevity advantage, would you put a worse handling tire on your bike?

Car tires - make the bike handle like dog poop for a long time?

Head to head...same rider, a mcy tire will perform better and have a better feel in the twisties.

After hearing from two people that I have ridden with and respect take off a car tire because it took out that the fun times in the twisties, that convinced me. It's that last 10% of a well handling creamy smoothness on a sweeper or twisty that gives the wow factor for riding for some of us.
Do you make all of life's decisions based on what you have heard from two people? Are you not a big boy who can make decisions for yourself based on your OWN experiences?

For somebody who hasn't even TRIED it you are making some big ASSUMPTIONS.

I'm here to tell you that in MY OWN ACTUAL PERSONAL experience a car tire doesn't make a m/c handle like dog poop. At least not the Exalto. I'm here to tell you that IN MY OWN ACTUAL PERSONAL experience the Exalto performs better and gives me better feel in the twisties. I am faster in the twisties with the Exalto than I am with a m/c tire.

I couldn't care less if you try a car tire or not. But YOU should't make conclusions about things of which you do not know. As an engineer, I thought that would have been more obvious to you?

I wish we were closer. I would love to see your face and see what you have to say after I have schooled you in the twisties with my car tire. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My issues is why you would put something that handles worse in the twisties than a mcy tire? Sure, you can ride it in the twisties and some crazy nutter on a car tire can race another on an mcy tire and they can go fast. But besides some sort of longevity advantage, would you put a worse handling tire on your bike?

Car tires - make the bike handle like dog poop for a long time?

Head to head...same rider, a mcy tire will perform better and have a better feel in the twisties.

After hearing from two people that I have ridden with and respect take off a car tire because it took out that the fun times in the twisties, that convinced me. It's that last 10% of a well handling creamy smoothness on a sweeper or twisty that gives the wow factor for riding for some of us.
Do you make all of life's decisions based on what you have heard from two people? Are you not a big boy who can make decisions for yourself based on your OWN experiences?

For somebody who hasn't even TRIED it you are making some big ASSUMPTIONS.

I'm here to tell you that in MY OWN ACTUAL PERSONAL experience a car tire doesn't make a m/c handle like dog poop. At least not the Exalto. I'm here to tell you that IN MY OWN ACTUAL PERSONAL experience the Exalto performs better and gives me better feel in the twisties. I am faster in the twisties with the Exalto than I am with a m/c tire.

I couldn't care less if you try a car tire or not. But YOU should't make conclusions about things of which you do not know. As an engineer, I thought that would have been more obvious to you?

I wish we were closer. I would love to see your face and see what you have to say after I have schooled you in the twisties with my car tire. :)
I'm betting a hundred smackers on "My Kid" aboard his car tire FJR smoking Der Wheatster in the twisties! Any takers? Straight up bet, no odds!

BrandNewExalto9.jpg

You're missing the point Skooty baby. You are a better rider than me, however that has nothing to do with my point. Read again.

If you ever do get your iron butt back to Wheaton or better yet, attend the Hooterville/Arkansas ride in the fall, I'll gladly take your CT bike out in the AR twisties and crash and burn on it. Is that really what you want? :p

You're missing the point Skooty baby. You are a better rider than me, however that has nothing to do with my point. Read again.
No, YOU read again. I totally got your point and you are STILL wrong! :finger:

Same rider (me), I am FASTER in the twisties with the car tire. I think for two reasons: One, it gives me more ground clearance before pegs start scraping, and two, and this is the big one, it FEELS better giving me more confidence to regularly hit maximum lean angles.

It doesn't make sense to me either, and lord knows I was one of the biggest critics of Retards running Car Tires around here for the longest time, but what do you know? Sometimes real world personal experience trumps theory.

I am happy for you Skooter and all the Darksiders. I am friends with several DS'ers I've ridden with. There is no animus directed towards anybody in my posts...not even to Skooty. :fuck:

I am just bringing up the point that some are leaving the blood-drinking, hood-wearing cult and that some have expressed perfectly rational reasons as to why they are doing so.

So leave the Darkside Skooty...you'll look back on this era of your mcy life with a shake of your head. :)

Go...and may the farce be with you.

<exiting the room...as you were>

What size are the FJRs using and what brand seem to be doing the best job.

Have a look at the short thread on the subject over in NEPRT - 2906 posts and counting! DARKSIDE!

See if you still have any questions after spending a couple of days reading it.

There is also a FAQ on the subject if you can't bring yourself to read the main discussion

BlueKnight, you should sent a private message to "Patriot" here on the FJR Forum. Mike O. is a Darksider and lives in New Orleans, I'm sure Patriot would help out a fellow Louisianan with info!

I don't know who is keeping track but I just went Darkside. I installed a General GMax AS03 I chose this one because it is a "Extreme Permormance tread" which means rubber is a little softer and they grip better and have great wet tractin. I wasn't looking for a 50,000 mile tire just not a 4000 mile one.

I don't know who is keeping track but I just went Darkside. I installed a General GMax AS03 I chose this one because it is a "Extreme Permormance tread" which means rubber is a little softer and they grip better and have great wet tractin. I wasn't looking for a 50,000 mile tire just not a 4000 mile one.
If you would like a number, post a picture of your mounted Darkside Tire to this thread and I will add you to the list in the FAQ and assign you a number. It's all in good fun, so not worth discounted drinks at the bar or anything more than bragging rights. :lol:

If you would like a number, post a picture of your mounted Darkside Tire to this thread and I will add you to the list in the FAQ and assign you a number. It's all in good fun, so not worth discounted drinks at the bar or anything more than bragging rights. :lol:
Eric- Want to assign a # to that looney guy on the ST1300 (Rick Tripp)